The Closed Beta of The Awakening is live!

there are people who spent over 500 dollars on this game and they cant join the beta.
instead of that every 3rd entry is fake with 0 forum posts and signed up on beta start.
wtf is this lotto? why some ppl can play first? and why i cant buy it? boring... boring...
Do you get email for forum pm or is Kaom personally bringing you the key?
"
"
starklife wrote:

Well I guess by your definition I'm not selfish. Just passionate. Whatever.

I don't think I'm better or that my time is more valuable only that I contributed with money and time and you have yet to do so. Contribution us valuable I think.

I don't see how anything I've asked for or said is at someone else's expense either. People can be treated equally to their contribution.

Before that I have admitted I see the point that only raw unbiased statistics are important here, I just think this has been handled poorly, that's all.

Equal to their contribution, good luck with that. lets think about that critically.
What exactly is each person's contribution, and what kind of ratio should we establish?

Sure you people who buy support packs have contributed to the financial bottom line of GGG directly. That is important absolutely, and it does give GGG incentive to give you preferential treatment.

You also have people who have bought things in the store, pretty much the same deal here.

However, Twitch streamers also contribute to GGG's bottom line indirectly because they are a free advertising source. Even if the streamer NEVER pays any money into Path of Exile, they are contributing a significant resource to Path Of Exile. So this also gives GGG incentive for preferential treatment. Infact the streams contribute such an enormous value to Path Of Exile they did get preferential treatment. Smart move (also kind of dickish if you consider its like teasing viewers)

Then you have the people who put the work into building up sites like PoeBuilder and Poe.Trade. They are providing services to the PoE community, which also contributes an indeterminate value to the overall game. These sites provide players with more incentive to trade and really talk about what goods are available in game, as well as experiment with build concepts and talk about them in the PoE forums.
Those discussion add to the overall knowledge of the game and help create informational resources for other players. Other players who happen to create and contribute to the Path of Exile Wiki site which is yet another valuable resource for the community and GGG.

Many players also contribute bug reports and balance feedback to GGG to help them make Path of Exile a better game.

Then there is the simple fact that every single player who likes the game talks about the game to their friends, likely because they want their friends to play with them. Which yet again adds indirectly to GGG's bottom line.

As far as brand new accounts. It would be silly not to allow them access to the beta. Would be a great way to drive away players. "Oh I'm not allowed in because I'm new, well screw this game I'll go play Diablo 3"

EVERY SINGLE ONE of these sources is important to the success of Path of Exile. GGG Couldn't have done it without us, without the community. Choosing a specific group over another would be PR suicide since every single player contributes something to GGG whether directly or indirectly.

Money out of your pocket really has much less impact than most of these other contributions, so get over it.

That being said, I've put over 2000 hours into this game and have regularly made a point of virally advertising this game on IRC, to my friends, to my family, and on facebook.
Am I entitled to get in this closed beta? Hell no, I'm not.

As a developer I see the value in getting varied sources of input from the community.
This release system is very similar to a common practice called "Hallway Testing" where you literally grab a random person walking by your office to see if your user interface is as intuitive and genius as you think it is.
Often it is not, and you take feedback from the entirely random, likely not knowledgeable person about why your interface didn't make sense to them.
You use this to further improve the software, make it easier and more enjoyable to use.

Regardless, I WANT TO PLAaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!! LET ME IN!

Seems like you did a good enough job of summing up what people's contributions are, clearly they should hire you.

I haven't actually complained about streamers, that makes total sense to me, that's preferential, that's how I feel anyone who has a history of contribution should be treated.

Honestly I think it should really just be an open beta, maybe you can shed some light or ggg would explain why it's not, I would think more data is better...and I'm not sure they don't have the sever power, live servers seem mostly dead and it would be odd not to test server strength for astronomical numbers. Maybe they feel no testing would get done if the servers got flooded and were unstable idk.

As for pr suicide pretty sure they've done that with their countdown. They may as well change this news post to:

"The closed beta of the awakening is live for .05% of the community"

Like I said earlier though I admit I'm not rational, I realize they need unbiased statistics, I am just disappointed with how it was handled and I guess I just have to accept that path of exile is a business before it's a game.

It is frustrating to be told your support does not entitle you to be allowed to participate.

Anyhow I've said my piece, I'll abstain from further venting.

I'm pretty sure Piety was supposed to LW in and bring it to you...
I thought Chris said this will not happen after he deleted 2 11210 accounts. Now a 3rd is being picked...
Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum - That's nature for you.
too many accounts created on apri.2015 getting the keys :/
Hype factor waning ... reality sets in, I like many of the rest of you most probably statistically won't get to see this until its released, so I guess that begs the question:
Why publicize a closed beta that most of us can't play?
I want test new content, give me a key. I all day watching the streamers (
Key please @_@

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info