A potential change I'm keen to hear your thoughts on

^
That original post is the reason why this is a hotly debated topic and not an open and shut case. For every person who knows how to play and is tackling end game content who knows the new EB is broken there is another person running around the base game with 187 mana regen and lvl 17 AA who has never done a high level map or atziri who likes the change.

Creator of the Praxis ring.
Want to stop power creep? Gut crit chance and crit multi.
Hi .

I was just wondering what would happen if you took EB and Blood magic passives from the skill tree with this new implementation.

Would it cover the Es for mana and back to protecting life ? or would it still cover the non existent mana .. also if so would it consume es before life ?

I am not sure if this question was raised in past 80 pages but its a bit tedious work to check.

Edit : clarification.
chaotic neutral
Last edited by nubmoj on Apr 22, 2015, 4:27:00 AM
"
nubmoj wrote:
Hi .

I was just wondering what would happen if you took EB and Blood magic passives from the skill tree with this new implementation.

Would it covert the Es to mana and back to protecting life ? or would it still cover the non existent mana .. also if so would it consume es before life ?

I am not sure if this question was raised in past 80 pages but its a bit tedious work to check.

To my understanding taking the current version of EB doesn't give mana at all, it switches you're es from protecting life to mana instead, and allows you to spend the es like it was mana, it never turns it into mana, so 2 separate regen pools "ES/Mana"...taking the blood magic passive would leave you with no es over you're life, but over you're mana, or lack there of and you would spend that es like mana, and thats it when it's gone...unless you regen it with Zealots O., leech it with Ghost R., or I believe there is ES on hit jeweler's so I hear.

So far I haven't seen any streamers talk good about it or actually try it, ZiggyD used for a brief period and quickly switched back saying it would only be good for a few select builds, otherwise not so much for most builds in it's current state.

I am hoping it gets scraped! Id Rather them nerf MoM to 20% than mess with something thats been the way it has been for ages now, but one can only hope! If they still don't like EB, then put a less mod on it. Like 25% - 35% or something, anything but this...imo!
Last edited by justinmm1988 on Apr 22, 2015, 4:03:50 AM
the fact that it would have some niche uses and some of these are probably still unknown, i feel like it would be a shame to just ditch it completely as an idea, but id like to see it not be EB. i feel like if it was its own thing you could adjust it in ways that wouldnt need to accomidate some of the current EB functionality and let it be more viable to provide something different, cause ultimately it is different and it would seem like the sort of builds and play style that would result from it would be entirely alternative. People using EB right now are often not going ton take this keystone and are going to have to try and replicate the current EB just through excessive investment in mana and regen imo.
"Hey lets kill two best (only?) defenses for casters ! they are too sturdy !"
*moving CoD to vendor tier*

First they killed meele, now its time for casters. Better prepare my bow build.
"
^
That original post is the reason why this is a hotly debated topic and not an open and shut case. For every person who knows how to play and is tackling end game content who knows the new EB is broken there is another person running around the base game with 187 mana regen and lvl 17 AA who has never done a high level map or atziri who likes the change.

Not every build has to be atziri viable.
How do you even sustain non-selfcast spells with this newly ruined EB? 6-Link traps, mines and totems can easily cost 200+ mana and you can place multiple per second. You can't dampen the mana cost with Spell Echo and you can't use Mana Leech or leech to your ES with Ghost Reaver. Never mind the new unique staff that lets you lay 7-link mines with insane speed resulting in 800-1000+ mana consumption per second, could hardly sustain that with even q20 Reduced Mana and Conc Effect. BM could work for totems as it has since they are the one of the three that can build in the vicinity of BM.

I'm also concerned about the defensive/mitigation options of ES characters but I will reserve my judgement about that for later.

"
"
666lol666 wrote:
"
Rory wrote:

More background: This change has an interesting history; I suggested it offhand as a strange idea, but it solved a few key factors we were investigating, like AA/MoM defense being too high for too low a cost........

Ok, you said you want to here our thoughts here are mine.
This is the most ridiculous change possible. I dropped AA/MoM a few month ago because the damage mitigration is just a sad joke compared to other dmg mitigration methods. If you guys still think AA/MoM is too strong for too low cost you really have no idea what's going on in your game. AA provides almost no protection for a shitload of manareg. If you get a BIG hit from let's say vaal or dominus there is almost no difference between getting this hit with or without AA. And MoM is horrible too. Most people use between 2 and 3 auras means they don't have a big amout of mana left (many only 800-1500). Now if these poor folks get a big hit their mana went to zero and it does not even take away 40% of that hit and that for the "low price" of being unable to cast & therefore leech for some time or maybe loose their incinerate stages and other nice things. As I said before if you really think AA/MoM is too strong for too low cost sorry then you don't know anything about your own game!

This sadly seems to be the case.

I can't imagine how a change this bad was even considered. Even if they wanted to nerf the EB / MoM / AA combo there are plenty of elegant ways to do it instead of just gutting EB and making it worthless. They could have reduced MoM to 20%, they could have made the EB conversion be 50%-75%, or they could have made the energy shield granted by intellect not count towards mana with EB.

As it is my incinerator is fucking dead and my EKer will only survive because I am wealthy in this game. Totally broken / worthless EB node that no viable caster build will be able to take?

Don't even bother taking the worthless EB keystone.

GG GGG you nerfed budget builds while leaving the combo you wanted to nerf fully intact.

The new EB is not worthless, it is just worthless for spell casters. It will be a fantastic new way for melee/archer to run lots of auras, due to the extremely low mana cost of their abilities, getting zealots oath and 1-2 life regen nodes will give melee/archers a new way to run many auras. Unfortunately, spell casters will not have this option, due to the extremely high mana cost of spells

GGG needs to rename the new EB to something that has to do with melee/archer and auras, and move it away from the witch tree.

Last edited by Khoranth on Apr 22, 2015, 7:31:23 AM
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
I wouldnt be looking at MoM AA and thinking this needs to stop, Id be looking at the popularity of Cloak Of Defiance and thinking it needs to stop.

I want to keep bumping posts like this. Exactly. MoM + AA is not overpowered! The defenses just do not compare to what builds in other areas of the tree can do, and that's ok to some extent considering that most casters play at range, so if they're good at manually dodging they can get by (not as easily as archers, though, with their higher movement speeds and Phase Acro).

What's not ok is that there aren't many decent defensive caster uniques to compete with Cloak. We have:

-CI Incandescent Heart, which is really expensive to build around
-Pledge of Hands, which is also expensive but makes it easier to spec Acro while running AA
-Cloak of Flame could be awesome, but the ES on it sucks
-Lightning Coil is an option, but caster colors can be hard to roll and it has no ES
-Carcass Jack is sexy for AoE and decent ES, but it's not generally used for its defenses

What's also not ok is that to get far with a caster, you can't just slap on rares and be good to go. It's usually futile for casters in the north to stack armour (outside of Aegis builds), evasion, endurance charges, regen... You need some enabling uniques to feel good about your build, especially in HC.

So what's left that's comparatively cheap and offers at least some defense while synergizing with caster builds? Cloak of Defiance.

The EB change might have some interesting applications, but it really bothers me that it's described as a way to fix "AA/MoM defense being too high for too low a cost". Are we playing the same game? I think the wrong problem is being targeted.
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
Last edited by Tempada on Apr 22, 2015, 7:36:57 AM
"
Tempada wrote:
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
I wouldnt be looking at MoM AA and thinking this needs to stop, Id be looking at the popularity of Cloak Of Defiance and thinking it needs to stop.

I want to keep bumping posts like this. Exactly. MoM + AA is not overpowered! The defenses just do not compare to what builds in other areas of the tree can do, and that's ok to some extent considering that most casters play at range, so if they're good at manually dodging they can get by (not as easily as archers, though, with their higher movement speeds and Phase Acro).

What's not ok is that there aren't many decent defensive caster uniques to compete with Cloak. We have:

-CI Incandescent Heart, which is really expensive to build around
-Pledge of Hands, which is also expensive but makes it easier to spec Acro while running AA
-Cloak of Flame could be awesome, but the ES on it sucks
-Lightning Coil is an option, but caster colors can be hard to roll and it has no ES
-Carcass Jack is sexy for AoE and decent ES, but it's not generally used for its defenses

What's also not ok is that to get far with a caster, you can't just slap on rares and be good to go. It's usually futile for casters in the north to stack armour (outside of Aegis builds), evasion, endurance charges, regen... You need some enabling uniques to feel good about your build, especially in HC.

So what's left that's comparatively cheap and offers at least some defense while synergizing with caster builds? Cloak of Defiance.

The EB change might have some interesting applications, but it really bothers me that it's described as a way to fix "AA/MoM defense being too high for too low a cost". Are we playing the same game? I think the wrong problem is being targeted.

I think GGG confused "being too good" with "the only option that does not cost 1000 exalted"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info