A potential change I'm keen to hear your thoughts on

"
Derpey wrote:
"
Benefit's the developers they want the game harder so therefor FUCK EB is their state of mind right now.

<Edited by support>

Why shouldn't it be reverted? Broken as hell mechanic that made mana management a fucking joke to no end, and various other mechanics.

I like the new changes, however it seems to not even gain bonus from energy shield recharge %'s, which imo it should.

<Edited by support> I'll quote snork which I've had many disagreements in the past and even made fun of the guy but this time hes accurate and many will agree in addition.

"
now were changing how es works and giving non ci builds access to infused shield to try and fix eb that was intentionally broken to try and fix a unique chest armour that was broken because there wasnt enough viable alternatives... and at no point has viable alternatives been added... domino chain of bad decisions imo.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Last edited by Eben_GGG on May 3, 2015, 1:00:22 PM
After some thought, reviewing, and watching people play with the new EB, I am totally against it.

The original is simplistic, makes sense, and is definitely not the problem. If you guys hate cloak, nerf cloak.

AA + EB is not overpowered.

Please keep the old EB.
Team Won
"
Rory wrote:
A potential change I'm keen to hear your thoughts on

almost 100 pages of negative feedback later it would be nice if some Dev wrote:

"it was a bad idea, we got it, thx for the feedback"

just sayin' :)
something they said recently is that they plan to buff a lot of the %mana nodes. That should mean that mom might still be viable and stacking high mana for absurt regen shouldn't be too too hard.
LLD BOTW spark/arc caster guide http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1133731
"
deusapollo wrote:

almost 100 pages of negative feedback later it would be nice if some Dev wrote:

"it was a bad idea, we got it, thx for the feedback"

just sayin' :)

Here's an answer from another thread:

"
Rory wrote:
Honestly, I was very worried about the Eldritch Battery change, and wasn't entirely sure we'd want to do it as it straight-up disables some existing characters (the aura change is much less damaging, in this regard), but the results from players actually using it and building for it have been surprisingly positive. It's not perfect, not as powerful as it used to be (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), but it lets us introduce things to the game we never could have before, which will have long-term benefits for the game.

So basically you can just forget about it being dropped, case is closed, etc.

Hopefully this will at least put a nail in the coffin of people crying 'but it's just a beta guys!!' but I doubt it.
So having looked at the arguments on both sides of this I see the problem as EB is too powerful without real investment cost. I see this breaking down to two different issues, firstly is that EB probably needs a funtional nerf to make it so that it requires investment to be a valuable choice on a build, and secondly that small amounts of ES on a build are functionally useless.

To the first issue my personal fix would be to change EB to something along the lines of "Your energy shield counts as mana, ES bonuses and penalties affect your mana, 40% reduced max mana"

The reasons for this being that it makes it so that you need significant mana investment to overcome the penalty off of EB but it opens up a large number of additional mana nodes that are still reasonably effective as opposed to the current lackluster bonus provided by ES investment on EB builds.

As for the issue of ES not being useful as a secondary or tertiary defense, I think that the new 6/3 3/6 switch on the ES recharge that I heard about will likely help but not remove that issue, for that to be truly fixed I think would require a major overhaul of end game gear and loot drop mechanics.

The bigger issue that I generally see in all of this is not EB but MoM, EB without MoM is a nifty way of getting a large amount of mana for the sake of running an extra aura, paying for extremely expensive skills, or funding the mana drain of AA. All of which I believe to bee fine and relatively well balanced in their current state. I think the real issue is that MoM can, without real investment, give you a 30% blanket damage reduction which is simply too powerful.
I say just remove MoM all together as a passive node and make all Cloak of Defiance's legacy. MoM was a broken mechanic from the start. AA was and isn't broken by itself, and Eldritch battery was never broken by itself. It was when you could use it to gain two defenses at minimal cost that gave flat damage reduction and basically free 30% damage reduction. But what do I know, I just play video games for a hobby.
I guess I will have to buy a one way ticket to hell with your lives
"
Rory wrote:
Honestly, I was very worried about the Eldritch Battery change, and wasn't entirely sure we'd want to do it as it straight-up disables some existing characters (the aura change is much less damaging, in this regard), but the results from players actually using it and building for it have been surprisingly positive. It's not perfect, not as powerful as it used to be (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), but it lets us introduce things to the game we never could have before, which will have long-term benefits for the game.

"but it lets us introduce things to the game we never could have before " I wonder what would that be ?
R.I.P 4.B.
"
tryhardgg wrote:
"
Rory wrote:

"but it lets us introduce things to the game we never could have before " I wonder what would that be ?

Eldritch battery on a unique for starters, was impossible previously.

Peace,

-Boem-

edit : also relevant to this thread, MoM doesn't give a 30% damage reduction it gives a 30% damage reduction to "on hit" sources and is dependent on the buffer being there to begin with. The moment your mana reaches 0 your investment into MoM and mana becomes useless until your pool buffers back up again.
(reaching 0 mana on an MoM character usually means you are losing roughly 10 passive points in power at that stage)
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Last edited by Boem on Jun 13, 2015, 5:44:55 PM
I like this change.

Old EB was too OP.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info