A potential change I'm keen to hear your thoughts on

As I've already posted in yesterday's announcement:

This change is huge!

If EB now protects mana in a way it did with life before, then it is insanely strong combined with GR. Think of a low-life char. He reserves almost all of his life and uses energy shield instead of life.
Now adapt this concept to mana with the new EB. You can reserve all of your mana and still use energy shield to cast your spells. In addition you can still use MoM because your energy shield is still there even without "real" mana.

For casters it isn't as good as for melee or even better: archers! All notables are close to Shadow starting area. Reserve 100% of your mana, use life leech mods from your gear to leech mana via GR and profit.

Edit: And best thing: LgoH will still recover your health ... Sounds way too op to stay this way
Last edited by DerDave on Apr 21, 2015, 11:22:00 AM
"
DerDave wrote:

This change is huge!

If EB now protects mana in a way it did with life before, then it is insanely strong combined with GR. Think of a low-life char. He reserves almost all of his life and uses energy shield instead of life.
Now adapt this concept to mana with the new EB. You can reserve all of your mana and still use energy shield to cast your spells. In addition you can still use MoM because your energy shield is still there even without "real" mana.

For casters it isn't as good as for melee or even better: archers! All notables are close to Shadow starting area. Reserve 100% of your mana, use life leech mods from your gear to leech mana via GR and profit.

Edit: And best thing: LgoH will still recover your health ... Sounds way too op to stay this way

Not OP at all. At most most it gives you 1 more aura, and requires some investment to keep the shield up. The old EB already gave you free clarity, so I don't see how this is any better. How are we supposed to run AA now? Invest 130 points in mana regen?
http://slysherz.blogspot.com
Spent ALL my currency on this :

I'm okay with you guys nerfing things but not completely destroying builds. Anyways we'll see what happens but this is not cool at all.
When the Energy Sheild is Applied over Mana instead of Life it interacts differently than when it covers Life. Over life with bloodmagic, energy sheild is not spent for mana costs, however when it is over ES without bloodmagic this cost is paid from ES rather than the original mana (rather than life) globe.

Covering your mana globe with auras and new mind over matter creates something similar to the effect of going low life bloodmagic. life regen alone cant do too much to help support large consumers of mana, however with this new elrich, leaving combat for 5 seconds should let you "try again" to go back in and cast one or two big spells.

I think this new elrdich has odd issues with consistancy, and seems to be cumbersome. Maybe useful for weird builds like self cast discharge, or extreme aura stacking with ranged attack totems.

Life gain on hit or ES gain on hit or Mana gain on hit. Shit gets clunky and its not as clear of a build as a Shavs BM setup.

This may seem gumbeled but the idea is to get people to think about this from positions of experience and utility when leveling, and as a choice for an end game build. What does this change ruin? what does it reward? Eldrich Battery was too powerful, but this is change seems to just add clunkyness for 95% of the time being a bad solution, and 5% of the time rewarding extremely expensive experiments.

I dont have beta access, but I don't think I like this.
Last edited by pure_jalexander on Apr 21, 2015, 12:25:43 PM
"
DerDave wrote:

This change is huge!

Melee/archer spells cost so little you will be able to just take zealots oath, and keep your life leech.

GGG just needs to rename EB to something else connected to using auras and melee/archers and move it away from the witch part of the tree, since it will be useless for pure casters now.
Honestly I stopped playing EB casters about three months ago - You can have 10-12K ES pretty easy with CI and sustain spells fine.

Fat ES sink with CI beats AA and 4000-5000 life all day.

Second - if you have PoH you don't need EB to run AA as a life caster.

Sounds to me like they just want more diversity for casters than everyone playing CoD/AA/EB

Edit also they want mana on gear to mean something so shit like this is not vendor trash.

99% of casters today dont give a crap about mana on gear because they get all the mana they need from EB conversion. Not anymore.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Apr 21, 2015, 1:22:35 PM
"
Whoaness wrote:
I don't really understand the change, and it's probably been discussed a lot, but I'm not wading through all the posts.

This change seems like it renders the build exclusively to two builds that have terrible drawbacks:

1) Ghost Reaver with small amounts of ES - You don't want a lot of ES since your cast wouldn't take more than one equipment worth of ES. You'll do a lot of damage that Ghost Reaver should cover your 200-300 ES pool. The problem is that you're a life build as ES isn't available, and you can't leech life since you have Ghost Reaver. Pretty huge problem there.

2) Zealots Oath with lots of ES and Life regen - This is the only other way to maintain ES regen. It will cost a LOT of points to make this work. Then it has the same drawback. You lost your life regen as a life based build.

Now the other alternative is ES recharge, but it's terrible. You're playing an action RPG. You'll be spamming skills all the time that the Energy Shield Recharge delay will always be on. If anything, they need to remove energy shield recharge or something like that to make this worth it.

I really don't see EB viable for anything now. It's just forcing huge drawbacks on life regen/leech.

Correct.
Creator of the Praxis ring.
Want to stop power creep? Gut crit chance and crit multi.
"
fredo2185 wrote:
Spent ALL my currency on this :

I'm okay with you guys nerfing things but not completely destroying builds. Anyways we'll see what happens but this is not cool at all.

Once the new league starts in a couple months it won't matter because you can't use your Standard items in temporary leagues.

And if you only play Standard for some reason, you should be aware that GGG always has and always will make changes that can render old builds obsolete.
[img]http://image.prntscr.com/image/2e57fcaba2ea48cc9832fecc55c6d0d6.png[/img]
Last edited by Commoble on Apr 21, 2015, 1:36:52 PM
This will fuck characters who used mana regen before. How do you run AA? I guess after this you'll use EB to reserve all your mana and rely just on ES regen. I used EB to not worry about mana on my end-game characters. Because at end game worrying about mana and mana potions is annoying. But with the new EB you always have to stop to regen your mana. I guess you don't get mana regen with the new EB at all, so it's completely different, completely different builds would use the new EB. I guess you usually have (would have) less mana than ES, so it'd run out slow so you don't have to stop so much. But stopping is annoying. Dunno. What will happen to mana regen? Will it be a completely useless stat?
Last edited by petden on Apr 21, 2015, 2:25:33 PM
This change doesn't make any sense to me, EB as it currently is converts all your ES into Mana and gives you a huge manapool, its simple and elegant mechanic.. and it works!

This change looks awful and makes no sense to me.
"Please feel free to report any players you see attempting to acquire/sell items in trade chat." - Bex_GGG

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info