A potential change I'm keen to hear your thoughts on

Ew is all I have to say. Not helpful I know, but this is just ew.
"
rockmassif wrote:
I recently made a KB build that utilizes both LC and MoM by getting a high rolled hybrid Eva/ES shield and taking some "%increased Defences from equipped Shield" nodes. I managed to get 2.4K Mana and got around 1.2K unreserved. Running 3 Heralds. Got enough damage to run 77/78 maps, I can even run dual reflect 74-75 maps, I killed Abaxoth on a hasted 74 map with this build.

And I was enjoying this very much until I saw this post. The fact that I won't be able to do this build or improve upon it because you thought changing EB completely was the only and correct way nerf to CoD/MoM/AA is kinda "disheartening" at best.

Gear

Well, might aswell just enjoy it while it lasts, right?

Don't forget the nerfed AA a few months ago also. My char has 200% mana regen from tree/gear + level 18 clarity and I still can't run a level 12+ AA because it drains all my mana when I run. Also I had to shift nodes around just to fulfill the DEX requirement on AA.
"
CalamityAOE wrote:
I'm thinking EB now says you spend energy shield as mana???
Since Rory does seem to have actually clarified the mechanic at play here (that I can see), I'll take this one.

The new Eldritch Battery currently being tested has two stats (wording not final):
Energy Shield protects Mana instead of Life and
Spend Energy Shield before Mana for Skill Costs

Energy Shield protects Mana instead of Life means that your ES is over your mana, and not over your life, as seen in the screenshot. Since it's not over your life, damage that's doing to your life isn't intercepted by ES. Since it's over mana, damage going to mana (Mind over Matter, etc) will hit ES first, except in the case of Chaos Damage, which bypasses ES and would go straight through to mana.
You will no longer have the 50% chance to ignore stuns for having ES, as that's a property of ES protecting life and doesn't apply when it's over mana instead.
Life being lost will no longer impede the ES refresh, but Mana being lost for any reason will, as of course will losing ES as it always does.
Effects which just make you lose mana, such as Arctic Armour or Sapping flasks, will not be affected, just as ES doesn't stop Caustic Flasks from removing life.
If you take the Blood Magic Keystone, you'll have no mana, and ES will be protecting your empty mana globe. Mind over Matter will still try to divert some damage to mana, and this will be able to be absorbed by ES, but once ES is depleted of course, no damage can be taken from mana and will will all go to life.

Spend Energy Shield before Mana for Skill Costs means that for skill mana costs (not reservations) you pay with ES until you run out, then start paying with mana. Mana reservations are not costs, and will still be paid directly with mana.
Blood Magic still switches you to spending life "instead", so you won't be able to pay with ES if you have blood magic and this stat.

In all other respects, ES behaves exactly the same - it still has the refresh mechanic, and anything that references ES still applies to ES.
This is... incredible. I've been wanting, scratch that dreaming about something like this that would separate resource costs like this. I've been trying to make builds based on the idea of separating my resource costs before but the only alternative was to go blood magic and thus removing a support gem or my mana. With this I can just sidestep that issue.

It also opens up options of making extremely high mana cost builds, elemental hit will no longer be a dream.

I have some questions though; How will this interact together with Blood Magic? I mean from what pool will you pay first? What about normal ES-regen, will it be interuppted by paying with life like before?

I can think of useful ideas whichever of them is true.

Anyway, I'm full of ideas needing tests. If you decide to go with this you have my FULL support, I'm not going to miss the old EB, this is way more interesting.

Edit: I mean think of it guys, it's like having Blood Magic and still be able to get auras! *Starts throwing imaginary confetti*
Last edited by Zoroch on Apr 17, 2015, 9:34:32 PM
This change would be horrible for EB/MoM/AA users and essentially remove one method of sufficient damage mitigation from the game. Not having your ES be part of your mana pool for the purpose of base mana regen would make high level AA essentially impossible to run without insane gear investment. AA is no where near overpowered for the investment required currently. An easily obtainable amount of regular armor mitigates way more physical damage than the fire/physical combined of AA.

The current state of EB/MoM/AA allows players to achieve an effective life pool similar to those of traditional armor or evasion builds with equal investment. This nerf is entirely uncalled for. Armor builds directly mitigate 25-35% of large physical hits. Evasion builds I would argue are currently the most overpowered with mitigation well over 50% (at the cost of slightly higher risk for an equivalent life pool). EB/MOM builds have at most a 30% larger life pool with minimal armor/evasion (had to give it up for ES on gear) and a tiny bit of extra mitigation from AA (~5% mitigation of large physical/fire hits).

The new playstyle created by this change would involve sitting idle to wait for your ES to regen before you could start casting again. This is NOT fun or desirable in any way. Additionally, Mana/ES based builds would have lower effective life pools AND almost no mitigation because AA is no longer feasible to run.
Last edited by Kirana on Apr 17, 2015, 9:41:05 PM
This proposed change looks horrible right from the start. EB/AA/MoM is a great source of defense, and is not the most expensive form of defense, but I would not consider it cheap. I say just leave EB the way it is and scrap this idea before you become too attached to it in trying to make it work.
"
This proposed change looks horrible right from the start. EB/AA/MoM is a great source of defense, and is not the most expensive form of defense, but I would not consider it cheap. I say just leave EB the way it is and scrap this idea before you become too attached to it in trying to make it work.

it's even one of the weakest defences, EV+Acro+phase acro is way better, so is armour+block+spell block
IGN - NeilahMistwalker
- ShrubSquad
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

EB/COD/AA was one of the most investment intensive and weak defenses in the game. Compared to properly specced evasion, armour, ondars, endurance, acrobatics, lightning coil etc combos it is so terrible, absolutely terrible at mitigating damage. Thats good, because if it was anywhere near as good as a character in the melee area of the tree can get their defenses then casters would be absolutely overpowered because of how safe and easy to scale spells are. They need to be defensively weak and they already are, this is just going to absolutely destroy them.

How do you balance this? MoM is just gone, it was poor compared to proper dex and str defenses before now you just cant have any auras, you wont be able to get enough free mana or mana regen to make it worth anything. If you edit arctic armour to the point where you can actually sustain it now with a much lower mana regen to counter act butchering EB like this then you are gonna put it into a realm where non eb builds can use it a lot easier, and how is that going to be balanced? A lightning coil full evasion ondars guile phase acrobatics endurance charge attacker also now running high level arctic armour?

I dont get it, I just dont get why you would want to take one of the only things thats making life based casters defensively viable and completely trash it.

+1
How would this work with Ghost Reaver? Would it instead use mana leech instead of life leech?
EB+AA+MoM is a pretty solid combo that is too easy with CoD. Many are annoyed by that because it establishes a form. BUT. This change destroys CoD and MoM in general. AA is not that hurt because you can get mana regen from gear. Perhaps a change in base mana regen would solve the problem. Perhaps something in the lines of: instead of just x mana per y points (don't remember exactly and it doesn't matter really) add a small flat mana regen. That of course should mean that Strength could get flat life regen and Dexterity small flat accuracy bonus to make things kinda equal. That being said, there is a buff to voidbringer that I noticed. ES gain on kill would be nice, on a character with 100% mana reserved.
Greetings from Greece
ign:Terramorphus, ArmyOfFlame, SfaxthsMeClaws

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info