Closed Beta FAQ for Path of Exile: The Awakening

"
Archwizard wrote:
This thread is just unreal. The myopia involved on the part of so many posters is just frustrating to read for me, and I'm not even a part of GGG.

Testing is good.

GGG has released crazy unbalanced stuff in the past (invasion bosses when that league started anyone?) and gotten flamed (sometimes rightly so) for not having more thorough testing. So, now they're learning from that given the a) massive content and b) fundamental changes to the netcode and skill tree involved here.

Part of testing is setting up a structure to make sure you control how, when, and how much data you get. It doesn't take 20,000 people to find out if something major is off/wrong/etc. Once the first 500 have played a little bit, you let another 500 in (making numbers up for illustrative purposes), because odds are good you're moving from major to moderate issues. Then let another 500 in, because we're moving on to smaller issues and less clear cut issues (is this boss too hard? is a subjective question). Wash, rinse, repeat until desired results are achieved.

----

The issue of 'fairness' in determining who gets in seems to have come up a lot. I have four pretty titles (well, 3, the CB supporter title looked better before the CB was added) under my name, so what's 'fair' in determining if I get in?

Many people seem to be approaching this from a quid pro quo mentality: the more they put in, the more they should get. Perhaps there is something to that. You could have 1 entry per 1,000 hours played, or 1 entry per 50 character levels, or some other weighted way of using RNG to select the Beta Testers. However, GGG chose the egalitarian (with minor mods) route. Everyone (again, minor exceptions) has an equal chance of getting in.

Now, regarding those exceptions. The only two I saw were 1) Alpha Testers, and 2) Streamers with tons of views. Unlike the original Beta Testers (of which I am one), the Alpha Testers were purposefully selected by GGG to test the game in the past. To acknowledge those people and the reason you asked them to test the first time is a good thing. All I did was give them $15 3 years ago (well, a little under), why would that merit special treatment? Oh and to whoever said that half don't even know if they are anymore, get a clue. One person asked, and that person does know. See all those accounts that say 'Alpha Member'? They're the Alpha Testers! Don't have that on your account? You're not one!

Anyone that has an issue with streamers that have huge followings getting in needs to perform a reality check. Those guys generate tons of free publicity and advertising for GGG. GGG would be monumentally stupid NOT to give those guys access. I never watch streams (and only sometimes watch ZiggyD vids), so I have no idea how large a population this is, but since most people can only name like maybe 5 total, get over it.

----

To folks saying they will use multiple accounts to try to get in: grow the hell up. Seriously. Now. Not only is that EXPLICITLY against the rules that Chris posted, it's also juvenile and extraordinarily selfish.

----

To folks bitching and whining about what to do in the interim: play the game! Chris even said they're heavily discussing what to do with the live game while the test is going on. If you hate the base game that much (why are you here?), then do what some people have said: go play something else. Come back when The Awakening is released. No game expects 100% fidelity. GGG won't be going to divorce court if you play another game. It's good to vary up what you do, so I'm not sure why people think this is a threat.

To the handful of folks that have said they won't give money again based on this: don't let the door hit your asses on the way out. People that try to use their wallet to try to hold GGG hostage to their agenda are not the people this game needs, we're better off without you.

----

To folks saying that only 'pro' players (or whatever nonsense) should get in: get over yourselves. Please. As others have pointed out, there actually are levels below 70, and some people actually enjoy playing them. Crazy, isn't it? Someone above said "all anyone does is rush through the content to get to mapping" (or something equally myopic). I know plenty of folks that don't play that way at all. Some folks play until early maps. Some folks play until the end of Merciless. Some folks sometimes only play to the end of normal before making a new char (though, I think that last group needs altaholics anonymous). Each and every one of those folks is a valid player and GGG would be remiss is not considering their playing experience as well as the experiences of those that can smoke Uber Atziri with their eyes closed and two hands tied behind their backs.

----

To folks saying that new players can't provide worthy feedback: you need to get over yourselves too. I've been playing almost three years now. That means I've had that much time to built up biases regarding this game and how I think it should work. It's the lense through which I view the game, and it will affect everything I experience and saw regarding this game. New players don't have that. They don't know the tree, or the monsters, or the quests, etc, as well as I do, which means they'll bring a much fresher perspective to those things than I will. GGG needs that fresh perspective. Perpetual games like this one need new players to survive. GGG, as far as I know, is not working on anything else, which means they need people playing (and paying for) PoE. Folks quit games all the time. They've gotten their fill, something else is shinier, they don't have time anymore, whatever. GGG must replace those people in order to survive as a company. Which means they need to make sure the game is easy enough to get hooked on that people stay. I have no goddamned clue if it is, I'm hooked already and have been here far too long to be able to really assess that.

----

I think that's it for now. But an overarching message in this post is: you salty olks need to take a step back and think about what is good for GGG and Path of Exile, not what is good for you.

This is all that need to be read from this topic. 100% agreement with all points.

I would normally shorten or just dotted (...) most of the quotes and leave only those relevant to my post but the whole quoted post deserves to be read again. Even small chance that someone just jumping to the end of the thread will spot this and read it is good enough reason to quote this.

Kudos to Archwizard for the quote!
"
To ggg : you let old beta testers have access to that new closed beta 2.0 on day one. What about those who gave you money but did not play during the beta ? I find it very nice of you to give access to people like me (closed beta) but people that paid you over the last years "deserve" that same kind of candy too I think.To ggg : you let old beta testers have access to that new closed beta 2.0 on day one. What about those who gave you money but did not play during the beta ? I find it very nice of you to give access to people like me (closed beta) but people that paid you over the last years "deserve" that same kind of candy too I think.

Where does it say that old beta testers are getting in? All I've heard about is alpha testers getting on on day 1.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to always tell the difference.
"
trackcatbat wrote:
Hm I disagree with this comment "If the goal is growing the player base, the feedback of new players is infinitely more valuable than experienced players."

I'm a new player. My feedback is terrible. I barely know wtf is going on. I know spell echo is good and still sells expensive on the 1monthHC. I know the game is fun as hell, and my introduction into the game via the 1month leagues has been AMAZING. That's what I know lol.

My feedback in the beta would be absolutely TERRIBLE and would not be "infinitely" more valuable than experienced players. I wouldn't know what to comment on. "Oh this area looks cool". I wouldn't know how or what to exploit. I don't even know the uniques, I don't know how things interact. I know "hey these keywords match! Let's put them together!". And I know how to read forums to get ideas/outright just take builds (Thank you Willy, your Arc build/equipment has helped me in shaping my character now. Hopefully I don't RIP at 79 again due to answering a trade ingame <.<)

I think the whole streamer thing has been blown out of proportion...How many "streamers" will get in? To be perfectly honest, this game does not have a lot of "huge" streamers, and even the "big" ones for PoE are miniscule compared to bigger games (just being honest).

I watch like...5 streamers? Pohx, Zeno, RichJ, Cha-Siu-Bao, Krippi. In total there's like....10-15 maybe 20ish streamers who have carry some kind of sizeable (for POE) fanbase? 20 is being SUPER generous too, and even 15 would be generous from what I've seen. It's not a big enough base to really make a big deal out of in terms of number of people getting into the beta. It's hugely blown out of proportion.

I didn't even sign up for the closed beta. I know I'm not a good person to go in and test. I don't just want to play the content like a lot of people do. I know it's a beta. I know it's meant to make sure stuff works right.

Anyways I think most people understand why there's a beta. Makes sense, but GGG obviously did not handle the build up towards it well considering most people thought GGG was just going to release the date of release for the expansion. WHICH in itself is NOT even GGG's fault. It's people's thoughts for coming up with all kinds of stuff in their heads.

So if streamers get in, don't be butthurt, there aren't really that many of them compared to the amount of people that will be in the beta. PLUS trust me. You would rather someone like Nugi be in the beta "stealing" someone's spot than some newbie like me in the beta doing absolutely nothing productive laughing that I took someone's beta spot Kappa.

I appreciate your honest response and agree that PoE is SO complex, that a new player wouldn't know where to start on giving feedback.
IGN Ken__Kaniff
"
mark1030 wrote:
"
Gary_GGG wrote:
"
KhelThuzad wrote:
I really like GGG insisting that anybody will get a chance to enter. But there MUST be some kind of pack that guarantees Beta entry. Else bots will get the beta codes with their thousands of alts and will sell them as was the case for early beta. Keys were sold for less that $5.

Can I sign up with multiple accounts to increase my chances of getting in?

No. Additional accounts will not be eligible. People trying to game the system will be removed. It's fine for multiple people in the same household to sign up as long as they are different people and have only one account each.
How do I unsign up my alt account? I signed it up before i knew it was against the rules.

Yeah, if you're gonna punish me for trying harder to play YOUR game, then tell me how I'm supposed to "un-signup" the alt accounts I've made since what I see as increasing my odds, you see as "breaking the rules".

EDIT: I can't believe you actually expect players to play your game's old content in order to have a chance at winning a key into the new beta content! The balls...

A closed beta worked when you were small, but fortunately for you, you AREN'T so small anymore... Time to grow up!
IGN Ken__Kaniff
Last edited by Knightmare101 on Apr 13, 2015, 3:05:28 PM
I fully understand why GGG wants to do beta for this expansion. When you make such deep changes in application you must fully retest it and that is out of discussion.

The problem is how it was communicated. For a long time there was no information about expansion except that in april there will announcement about release. And here we are in april with the news covering some awesome stuff from expansion, big timer and information that it's not release but closed beta. That's a bad move.
If there only were earlier any hints that there could/will be some kind of beta it would look much different.

Additionally this will be demotivating for many players that they will see streamers testing new features, read news covering new stuff so they will be hype to play game. But then they'll realize that they don't have access to beta, and all that left is to play game without even features from just ended challenge leagues.

I really hope that there will be something interesting to do for those players that don't get beta invite because many people plays only temporary leagues (including me) so stucking in SC/HC will be even worse for them. And I hope it isn't a thing suggest in podcast like 2 (or other number) weeks race with mods from all previous challenge leagues, because that's not interesting and most important NEW.

I think it would be better if beta had NDA that would be lifted about 2 weeks before ending beta and only then start building hype for the expansion.
beta key or riot :(
3.15 was a joke. 3.19 was a disaster. Archnemesis/Ruthless/Crucible(Archnemesis 4.0?) - worst ideas. Ruthless is a joke, a waste of resources. PoE2(exilecon version) was super disappointing.
"
vahu wrote:

Let's get this bitch started!

IGN Ken__Kaniff
these guys have turned into blizzard 2.0 LOL
"
To ggg : you let old beta testers have access to that new closed beta 2.0 on day one. What about those who gave you money but did not play during the beta ? I find it very nice of you to give access to people like me (closed beta) but people that paid you over the last years "deserve" that same kind of candy too I think.

Wait, what? You must got it wrong? They'll give access to Alpha members, not everyone who participated in the original CB.
So much butthurt in this thread over getting into the beta lol. The entitlement complex is strong in this community.
Last edited by Ascendic on Apr 13, 2015, 3:16:44 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info