Closed Beta FAQ for Path of Exile: The Awakening

"
Archwizard wrote:
This thread is just unreal. The myopia involved on the part of so many posters is just frustrating to read for me, and I'm not even a part of GGG.

Testing is good.

GGG has released crazy unbalanced stuff in the past (invasion bosses when that league started anyone?) and gotten flamed (sometimes rightly so) for not having more thorough testing. So, now they're learning from that given the a) massive content and b) fundamental changes to the netcode and skill tree involved here.

Part of testing is setting up a structure to make sure you control how, when, and how much data you get. It doesn't take 20,000 people to find out if something major is off/wrong/etc. Once the first 500 have played a little bit, you let another 500 in (making numbers up for illustrative purposes), because odds are good you're moving from major to moderate issues. Then let another 500 in, because we're moving on to smaller issues and less clear cut issues (is this boss too hard? is a subjective question). Wash, rinse, repeat until desired results are achieved.

----

The issue of 'fairness' in determining who gets in seems to have come up a lot. I have four pretty titles (well, 3, the CB supporter title looked better before the CB was added) under my name, so what's 'fair' in determining if I get in?

Many people seem to be approaching this from a quid pro quo mentality: the more they put in, the more they should get. Perhaps there is something to that. You could have 1 entry per 1,000 hours played, or 1 entry per 50 character levels, or some other weighted way of using RNG to select the Beta Testers. However, GGG chose the egalitarian (with minor mods) route. Everyone (again, minor exceptions) has an equal chance of getting in.

Now, regarding those exceptions. The only two I saw were 1) Alpha Testers, and 2) Streamers with tons of views. Unlike the original Beta Testers (of which I am one), the Alpha Testers were purposefully selected by GGG to test the game in the past. To acknowledge those people and the reason you asked them to test the first time is a good thing. All I did was give them $15 3 years ago (well, a little under), why would that merit special treatment? Oh and to whoever said that half don't even know if they are anymore, get a clue. One person asked, and that person does know. See all those accounts that say 'Alpha Member'? They're the Alpha Testers! Don't have that on your account? You're not one!

Anyone that has an issue with streamers that have huge followings getting in needs to perform a reality check. Those guys generate tons of free publicity and advertising for GGG. GGG would be monumentally stupid NOT to give those guys access. I never watch streams (and only sometimes watch ZiggyD vids), so I have no idea how large a population this is, but since most people can only name like maybe 5 total, get over it.

----

To folks saying they will use multiple accounts to try to get in: grow the hell up. Seriously. Now. Not only is that EXPLICITLY against the rules that Chris posted, it's also juvenile and extraordinarily selfish.

----

To folks bitching and whining about what to do in the interim: play the game! Chris even said they're heavily discussing what to do with the live game while the test is going on. If you hate the base game that much (why are you here?), then do what some people have said: go play something else. Come back when The Awakening is released. No game expects 100% fidelity. GGG won't be going to divorce court if you play another game. It's good to vary up what you do, so I'm not sure why people think this is a threat.

To the handful of folks that have said they won't give money again based on this: don't let the door hit your asses on the way out. People that try to use their wallet to try to hold GGG hostage to their agenda are not the people this game needs, we're better off without you.

----

To folks saying that only 'pro' players (or whatever nonsense) should get in: get over yourselves. Please. As others have pointed out, there actually are levels below 70, and some people actually enjoy playing them. Crazy, isn't it? Someone above said "all anyone does is rush through the content to get to mapping" (or something equally myopic). I know plenty of folks that don't play that way at all. Some folks play until early maps. Some folks play until the end of Merciless. Some folks sometimes only play to the end of normal before making a new char (though, I think that last group needs altaholics anonymous). Each and every one of those folks is a valid player and GGG would be remiss is not considering their playing experience as well as the experiences of those that can smoke Uber Atziri with their eyes closed and two hands tied behind their backs.

----

To folks saying that new players can't provide worthy feedback: you need to get over yourselves too. I've been playing almost three years now. That means I've had that much time to built up biases regarding this game and how I think it should work. It's the lense through which I view the game, and it will affect everything I experience and saw regarding this game. New players don't have that. They don't know the tree, or the monsters, or the quests, etc, as well as I do, which means they'll bring a much fresher perspective to those things than I will. GGG needs that fresh perspective. Perpetual games like this one need new players to survive. GGG, as far as I know, is not working on anything else, which means they need people playing (and paying for) PoE. Folks quit games all the time. They've gotten their fill, something else is shinier, they don't have time anymore, whatever. GGG must replace those people in order to survive as a company. Which means they need to make sure the game is easy enough to get hooked on that people stay. I have no goddamned clue if it is, I'm hooked already and have been here far too long to be able to really assess that.

----

I think that's it for now. But an overarching message in this post is: you salty olks need to take a step back and think about what is good for GGG and Path of Exile, not what is good for you.

This excellent post is pretty much 100% of what I wanted to come here and post, great work.
I think the more people realize that this is for testing progression, and not a 6-8 week league... that there will be resets... that this closed beta just isn't for someone who wants to play it as a league...

... then the more people will be content with not making it into the Beta, or getting Late Beta access.

Sure, testing the changes and new content could certainly be fun while still being scientific. But for many, watching streamers grind away and do the restarts might be more enjoyable than actually experiencing them first hand. Seeing it, and learning about the re-balances for new character planning might just not be that bad.

Spoiler

Will PK for Beta Access Key (Kappa)
"Let the Count-Down Games Begin!"
It would be interesting to know the odds of getting into the Beta, as part of the count-down timer.
"
It would be interesting to know the odds of getting into the Beta, as part of the count-down timer.

Triple post combo breaker.
"
Ascendic wrote:
So much butthurt in this thread over getting into the beta lol. The entitlement complex is strong in this community.

Couldn't agree more. The entertainment value of many of these posts is tremendous. GGG should sell supporter packs to let people in this thread.

Last edited by Deaddawg on Apr 13, 2015, 7:28:03 PM
Haha obviously there is some disagreement among the players, and between them and the dev team.

I'd like to remind a few simple facts that probably (almost.) everybody will be agree with. Maybe it can help

-First of all, people showing some disappointment and anxiety about being so eager to get in beta are showing love to the game! If they feel some injustice in any sort of ways, it's because they love the game!

-Second, even if GGG would like to please everybody with their complaints, they just couldn't! There is a lot of stability issues at the near horizon, including connection issues that will occur very often and for maybe quite a long time! Technically, NOT everything is possible

-Then, this team is well known to be listening a lot to the players. Let's not spoil that with raw anger. It's process time

-Also, I'm betting most of you all know that the staff was well aware of how players would react to this news. There must be a reason behind all decisions, and as obvious it is that they haven't done their best on this, we can be quite they think and intended to act wisely! Remember: they're still people, and what they're doing is not easy, believe me!

-And finally, most of the people posting here would like a larger scale discussion, or at least a step towards the community, and find some (even little) compromise. Maybe we could think about a slightly different way to run this beta-test, for example with tertiary league, with a queue, allowing people to test for their own good the upcoming patch ASIDE of the closed beta-test, with a low max population, and automatic disconnection after some hours, so people have to jump back into the queue.

Or a different kind of "torture" that the 5 minute count down, a different kind of "random", like a ticket with a number on it, which could be compared with an ongoing up-count that could speed up or down. This way, people would know how close they are to integrate the beta-test

As I was saying lately about a certain tv-show: "For the wait is long and full of trailers..."
Last edited by JoannirLeoth on Apr 13, 2015, 3:34:58 PM
I'm not reading 35 pages to see if anyone else put together the fact that the beta release is on 420.
Saved
"
atziri dropping beta keys instead of flasks

LOOOOOL good idea bro! :))
Playing marauder @ Hardcore leagues

"
In addition, the Beta content is likely to be incomplete and buggy.
Oh, you. Shut up, you. It's beautiful, show it!!!!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info