Item Development - Information

"

This oskill issue has massive implications for the game's trajectory and design. You've missed them, or just don't care. Just. A. Player.

[Removed by Support]

ggg never runs rampant with things that players ("testers") deem wrong for the game.
if people complain about this hard enough or further oskills, they will be changed mechanically or taken out altogether to meet players' demands
IGN: Scuhr
Last edited by Jared_GGG on Apr 7, 2015, 9:22:22 PM
This is literally the first thing GGG has shared about the upcoming content and people are losing their minds.

Will it be OP
Will it be garbage
Will it change the whole economy
Literally everyone is going to use it!
Man it doesn't scale at all nobody is going to use it...
It's too boring and can only be built one way
MAN I'M SO EXCITED HYPU

GGG is going to be adding a lot of new stuff that our bodies are not ready for. This is a good start, in my opinion, and we just have no idea what else is in store for us as far as game mechanics go. Chris hinted toward a lot of changes to how we fundamentally see PoE as a game and I think people would best serve justice by keeping their pants on until they get the big picture.

As for my initial opinion:
Glad to see something like this added. Always nice to have more options than just "get a 5/6 link or die." With the way int scaling works, and assuming this skill has the same gem properties of firestorm, it'll probably be a fine spell to use with even a 4 link in the staff and a few very affordable uniques, which will open up content for newer players quite handily. That's a good thing, by the way. It might surprise you that PoE being easier to play at high level will actually help the game out in the long run, as newer players might not immediately quit when they hit merciless.

I'm still hoping for an item that has procs attached, like Rift from Diablo II, and sets, and a bunch of other things that will make the item game more interesting. This gives me hope.

And for everyone saying "I wish it was a gem so we could do X with it," have you really stopped to consider what it being a gem would do for you? You'd throw it in Taryn's and use the exact same support gem setup everyone else uses. It wouldn't be any more interesting. I'm so glad they made Shockwave Totem a gem instead of an oskill, that way when I throw it in a Carcass Jack with AoE, Conc, Faster Casting, and added fire, I can really feel like a special snowflake who thought of this super unique and interesting build all on my own! I don't think anyone else is going to figure this hidden "gem" out, hahaha!
Last edited by IceyDevil on Apr 7, 2015, 9:10:10 PM
"
Kaysee wrote:
"
So now we have oskills.

Wow, Nick. You really did a great job of encouraging GGG to go back on their word with unique item design from the early days. First stats per level, and now this. Two things several Diamond supporters were denied.

These changes are not a bad thing for the game, but there's no way we'd have seen this in CB or even OB.

PS: Please keep copying Titan Quest features now that you've started. Green items were awesome.

Pretty much this.

Discussing this with other unique designers ATM and how this is a BIG change in GGG's design philosophies:

- Skills exclusive to uniques.
- Items that never need to be changed.

I'm still undecided about it, it looks cool on the surface, but is a slap in the face to designers who have proposed similar things in the past only to be road-blocked by GGG.

Did you actually unironically use the 'slap in the face' line? Jesus christ.

"
Vhlad wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Again, this works exactly like the existing item that already grants a skill. Empower, like Enlighten and Enhance, explicitly only apply their effects to skill gems - unlike other supports, they affect things that are properties of the gem, not the skill it grants. Since this item, and Jaws of Agony before it, grant a skill without a gem, those gem-only supports cannot apply to the granted skills.

Oh, sadness. Not excited about the item any more, since you've confirmed that it will not scale with empower or enhance. Based on historical drop frequencies of uniques while leveling, it's unlikely a new character will enjoy this item while leveling. Much more likely a player will find it at level 80+, at which point the damage will be too low to be effective.

It's not meaningful as a twink item either, since leveling to 60+ can be done so quickly. Seems like a waste.

... just because a skill doesn't scale with empower or enhance doesn't immediately make it useless in all regards, by any means.
Last edited by InventorOfTrees on Apr 7, 2015, 9:16:18 PM
"later this year" wtf :(
do what you want to the girl, but leave me alone.
IMO this a really interesting way to implement new uniques/skills, and its cool that its going to be different from all the other skills
"
Recomposed wrote:
"

This oskill issue has massive implications for the game's trajectory and design. You've missed them, or just don't care. Just. A. Player.

[Removed by Support]

ggg never runs rampant with things that players ("testers") deem wrong for the game.
if people complain about this hard enough or further oskills, they will be changed mechanically or taken out altogether to meet players' demands

maybe im forgetting something, but what has been removed from the game? also, you failed to actually state why charan's opinions (which were also stated by others in this thread) are wrong. please try re-reading why he doesnt like this move towards this type of item and then state specifically why he is wrong. otherwise you arent 'frying his ass' as much as you are stating your opinions and not creating a counter argument.

oh an ya, charan can be a bit....aggressive with his wording, but his ideas regarding game theory and development are usually sound.
Hey this is a signature! pretty cool stuff...yeah...
Last edited by Arthur_GGG on Apr 7, 2015, 11:00:21 PM
I like the idea, its noob friendly and doesn't require a 5/6L and it does what it does. Similar uniques that comes to mind are belly of the beast and greed's embrace. I get where you're going with this, not every items should need to have a specific character to use it. Even a shadow/scion could potentially pick this is up and start using it right away; no "let me link it first" no "well I can't use this because I don't have enough spell damage."

Making more of these straightforward uniques sounds like it will help the tons of people that will soon be joining PoE.

Am I understanding correctly that icestorm will not be an available gem btw?
I wonder if Hillock-Senpai will notice me when I go to town??
"
websterep wrote:
"
Recomposed wrote:
"

[Removed by Support]

maybe im forgetting something, but what has been removed from the game? also, you failed to actually state why charan's opinions (which were also stated by others in this thread) are wrong. please try re-reading why he doesnt like this move towards this type of item and then state specifically why he is wrong. otherwise you arent 'frying his ass' as much as you are stating your opinions and not creating a counter argument.

oh an ya, charan can be a bit....aggressive with his wording, but his ideas regarding game theory and development are usually sound.

this already ended. more than half my comments were taken down
I agree with that last bit but no amount of knowledge merits being a fuckboy

edit: for the record, my first comment wasn't a response to any quote. I commented about how i felt about the content and was then belittled/insulted
IGN: Scuhr
Last edited by Jared_GGG on Apr 7, 2015, 9:30:32 PM
"
Recomposed wrote:

this already ended. more than half my comments were taken down
I agree with that last bit but no amount of knowledge merits being a fuckboy

over? im still posting...seems to not be over to me. i might not be able to come back for a bit because i have a real life i have to attend to. but regardless, what exactly are you for bringing up how much money charan spent on the game? i believe its not much different than the term you used to describe charan. although there are plenty of alternatives that would be just as fitting...anyway the wife calls.
Hey this is a signature! pretty cool stuff...yeah...
So lets see, CI, dual perandus signet, whispering ice, dual heralds, echo-added lightning-added chaos-conc effect-prolif-life leech, right? With a build like this you'd be cruising.
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info