Item Development - Information

"
Samkiud wrote:
"
Arcis wrote:
why don't you just make it so the mod says "Grants the Icestorm skill" ?

That would be the wiser thing to do to avoid players create wrong assumptions about the skill being low level, since it can't be leveled up anyway.

Corrupted items that grant level X of a curse have that curse affected by socketed gems. I'm assuming that level 1 Icestorm is specified because level 2, 3, and 4 versions are possible via empower.

Edit: Assumption wrong. As below, Enhance/Empower affect supported Active Skill Gems. Icestorm is a supported active skill, but not a gem, and hence enhance/empower will do nothing to it.

I still think including level 1 in the description is ideal, since it's consistent with similar items (and the post below mine outlines some good reasons to include the level as well).
Never underestimate what the mod community can do for PoE if you sell an offline client.
Last edited by Vhlad on Apr 7, 2015, 8:39:53 PM
gotta say none of what u guys says makes any sense, why would you remove the level of ice storm, doesn't mean that there's isn't a gem for it now that GGG will never make it; when and if it does they'd have to change this items description; what if there another item that grants lvl10 icestorm? what if enhance work on this(prob wont as support only affects whats in SOCKETS)? Still, plenty of flaws in removing the level count, why would you? :/
oskills?!
But... why start with them now?

Why not just add Ice Storm into the game as its own (max level 1, like Portal) skill? Since it scales off max int, people will naturally gravitate to this staff (or Pillar, and Perandus rings). Could even make it a fun side-quest to unlock the skill by defeating some cold-themed challenge.

The skill<->item lock presumably exists to stop harmful interaction with other items, but 99% of the joy of building characters in an ARPG is finding the "harmful/emergent interactions" in the first place. The game doesn't get its delicious complexity by adding more theme park rides, it gets them by adding more available spices to be used on the dish.

If you believe that PoE's greatest strength is its breadth of choice, then why would you go along with restricting the space of interactions that much?

---

Number-wise (NOTE THIS COMPARES AGAINST CURRENT DAMAGE VALUES, NOT ANY PLANNED CHANGES):

At 1-3 damage/10 int, it competes with L20 Firestorm at ~762 int, and L9 (reqL33) Firestorm at 150 int, which is trivial at L33.

Seems like it'll be a mid-game trivializer, even with the relatively crappy base caster stats (9%cspd, 1%spell/10int).

With Empower (especially the +1 Empower in the staff), there's potential for some really crazy damage. Also, a 7L...
Last edited by pneuma on Apr 7, 2015, 8:23:15 PM
NICK HOW MANY TIMES.......

MY BODY IS READY....

MY MONEY IS READY.....

IT ALL LOOKS TOO GOOD....

GIMME GIMME <3
IGN: TitanVaolox

"
Tanakeah wrote:
So looking at this as a veteran player I am left wondering a few things, and please pardon if they sound stupid.

1. The staff grants you the skill Icestorm and is the only way to get it...ok...makes sense. Now, because the skill is granted as such and is not a gem, does that mean that if you put any gems into the staff they will not affect Icestorm? I know things like Bringer of Rain and the like have 'Supported by X-Type of Gem' in them, but this is something that is totally new to me even after a long time of experience with this game.
While this is the first unique that grants a skill you can't otherwise get, it's not the first one that grants a skill - see Jaws of Agony, which grants Bear Trap. This works exactly the same way. The skill will be supported by any applicable support gems socketed into the item.
There are also several corrupted implicit mods that cause items to grant skills in exactly the same way. This isn't quite as new or unique as you seem to think, at least in terms of granting a skill from an item - only in the fact that this skill itself is a new one, which doens't affect any of the mechanics of how items from skills work.

"
Tanakeah wrote:
3. If Icestorm can indeed be enhanced via gems put into it, then I am going to assume that other skill gems will work function as they do when linked up in the sockets in this item, blah, blah, blah?
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking here, so you may need to clarify if this isn't the answer you're after. But while all supports socketed into the item will each apply to the item's inherent skill, that doesn't mean the sockets are linked to each other (just like how on the items that grant supports, that support will apply to any skill socketed into the item without making the sockets count as linked).

"
Tanakeah wrote:
4. To follow up with 3, if Icestorm can be enhanced then this weapon will be the first one where you could feasibly put 6 support gems into all of the links and effectively make it a 7-Link. Ok...well...maybe not THE FIRST, but you get the idea of where I am coming from, yes?
It would be the first where you could add six support gems to get a seven link, but there have been several other uniques which allow an effective seven link by granting supports in addition to your sockets. I'm unsure what you feel is significantly different about this one providing a skill rather than one (or more) of the supports)?

"
Tanakeah wrote:
5. Saying that this item grants a 'Level 1 Icestorm Skill' would make some believe that because it's specifically stating the level that IS will act like a skill gem that you could level up with Empower or the like. Now, I know how you described it means it's only at level 1 and can't be leveled up like a true skill gem, but again, is this accurate?
Again, this works exactly like the existing item that already grants a skill. Empower, like Enlighten and Enhance, explicitly only apply their effects to skill gems - unlike other supports, they affect things that are properties of the gem, not the skill it grants. Since this item, and Jaws of Agony before it, grant a skill without a gem, those gem-only supports cannot apply to the granted skills.
people bitching about oskills, this doesnt even look like a powerful skill
sure it will enable one gimmicky build and if its overpowered they'll nerf it

nothing to bitch about here
good work ggg
IGN: Scuhr
"
NickK_GGG wrote:
ensuring players have the right amount of information

good. now what about adding "TO ATTACKS" to the "Adds x-y dmg" item mod? imho it is one of the most confusing and incomplete piece of info for new players out there. never figured out the reasoning for not making it clear.
"
Tanakeah wrote:
So looking at this as a veteran player I am left wondering a few things, and please pardon if they sound stupid.

1. The staff grants you the skill Icestorm and is the only way to get it...ok...makes sense. Now, because the skill is granted as such and is not a gem, does that mean that if you put any gems into the staff they will not affect Icestorm? I know things like Bringer of Rain and the like have 'Supported by X-Type of Gem' in them, but this is something that is totally new to me even after a long time of experience with this game.

Curses granted by corrupted items (i.e. Grants level 14 Temporal Chains Skill) are supported by supports in that item and triggered by trigger gems in that item and applied by hits from CoH supported skills in that item.

The precedence for items granting skills is that the granted skill is effectively a gem* placed in an extra socket which is linked to all the other sockets in the item.

Edit: Mark <3, while I was typing.

*correction, but isn't classed as a gem, thus Empower for example won't affect it.
Casually casual.

Last edited by TheAnuhart on Apr 7, 2015, 8:32:51 PM
I think there will be less questions from players about how this staff works if you remove the "Level 1" from the item, as the skill cannot be obtained anywhere else. Also, this will make getting a 4L on this staff essentially a 5L and getting a 6L on the staff essentially a 7L as no active gem actually needs to be socketed in it. This seems like it will help the game, as cold skills have not had anything new in a while and it is interesting to see it scale off intelligence.

Also, I there is some other skill on the middle click of that Icestorm tooltip screenshot that I have not seen before. Another new skil hype?
"
So now we have oskills.

Wow, Nick. You really did a great job of encouraging GGG to go back on their word with unique item design from the early days. First stats per level, and now this. Two things several Diamond supporters were denied.

These changes are not a bad thing for the game, but there's no way we'd have seen this in CB or even OB.

PS: Please keep copying Titan Quest features now that you've started. Green items were awesome.

Pretty much this.

Discussing this with other unique designers ATM and how this is a BIG change in GGG's design philosophies:

- Skills exclusive to uniques.
- Items that never need to be changed.

I'm still undecided about it, it looks cool on the surface, but is a slap in the face to designers who have proposed similar things in the past only to be road-blocked by GGG.
Chris Wilson: "Today was the proudest day of my life."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info