Item Development - Information

"
"
StrayYoshi wrote:

Am I understanding correctly that icestorm will not be an available gem btw?

That appears to be the case, which is why I'm curious why folks would consider it 'noob friendly'. If anything, it's working under two fairly clear assumptions, only one of which the OP addresses. That first one is delivery of information (how much) -- in the end, they're sort of assuming people will be able to infer what it does from the name. This is a step above Titan Quest, where you just had to test it out to see.

It's easy to forget, but the beginners are the one who have it easy. That's one of the reasons so many people quit the game before ever getting deep into it. They simply use a main skill and eventually succumb to the boredom of a monotone game of hack and slash. For experienced players on the other hand, we have defensive and offensive gem combinations (sometimes utility) we need to worry about. A novice player will pick up this staff and see that they now have the icestorm skill available, if they want more damage simply get more intelligence. Veteran players will see the opportunity for a late game build as well. The item seems to satisfy players of the entire player base IMO.

I'm not sure how I feel about icestorm being unique only...on one hand it seems to be a blatant firestorm clone, which is rather dull and lazy. If we are talking about creating original skills for additional uniques, I'm not sure that fits Path of Exile. I think it creates too much item dependency: for those who are unaware I am HIGHLY critical of the unique Soul Taker, the idea behind this axe is pretty much that it enables certain builds only because you own/found/created it. Things like that I'm not a fan of.
I wonder if Hillock-Senpai will notice me when I go to town??
Last edited by StrayYoshi on Apr 7, 2015, 10:21:26 PM
when the expansion containing Act Four launches later this year.

What does it mean???
So act4 will not launch this month or next month???
Its too late...
Does the person showing the Ice storm skill have 1170 intelligence?
Can we get some sort of sword (no pun intended) that grants us a skill/spell to make us able to create a spellblade type of character? You know, attacking and casting spells together?
Like a spell storing a percentage of the damage you deal up to a maximum and then releasing it in a cleave kind of way but with a much greater AoE?
"
StrayYoshi wrote:
"
"
StrayYoshi wrote:

Am I understanding correctly that icestorm will not be an available gem btw?

That appears to be the case, which is why I'm curious why folks would consider it 'noob friendly'. If anything, it's working under two fairly clear assumptions, only one of which the OP addresses. That first one is delivery of information (how much) -- in the end, they're sort of assuming people will be able to infer what it does from the name. This is a step above Titan Quest, where you just had to test it out to see.

It's easy to forget, but the beginners are the one who have it easy. That's one of the reasons so many people quit the game before ever getting deep into it. For experienced players on the other hand, we have defensive and offensive gem combinations (sometimes utility) we need to worry about. A novice player will pick up this staff and see that they now have the icestorm skill available, if they want more damage simply get more intelligence. Veteran players will see the opportunity for a late game build as well. The item seems to satisfy players of the entire player base IMO.

I'm not sure how I feel about icestorm being unique only...on one hand it seems to be a blatant firestorm clone, which is rather dull and lazy. If we are talking about creating original skills for additional uniques, I'm not sure that fits Path of Exile. I think it creates too much item dependency: for those who are unaware I am HIGHLY critical of the unique Soul Taker, the idea behind this axe is pretty much that it enables certain builds only because you own/found/created it. Things like that I'm not a fan of.

An interesting way of looking at it. Are you perhaps confusing 'early game players' with 'beginners'?

[/quote]

I meant 1st time PoE players looking to learn the game in the upcoming patch. I think that was the point Nick was trying to get across about item information, depth, and complexity. This item is as simple as it gets. It definitely scares new players to have to stop and take the time to individually test game mechanics. I think this staff is quite goood for early game isn't it? (level 33 anyway)
I wonder if Hillock-Senpai will notice me when I go to town??
Last edited by StrayYoshi on Apr 7, 2015, 10:40:46 PM
"
"
yotmato wrote:
"

I'm not sure how you can say I'm conservative and not embracing change when the change is a conservative, unadventurous one. Also, I introduced some pretty radical elements to the game via two uniques, and come act 4, I'm introducing even more with my third unique.

So please don't presume to lecture me on what uniques are meant to do.

Yea I saw your uniques, maybe your third will finally be useful! :)

You missed a very selfish, very myopic 'to me' at the end of that little quip.

People clearing level 66+ maps with a level 28 sword is sort of the opposite of 'not useful'.

And if someone finds The Goddess Bound in a race, they're going to do almost unfairly well.

Save the snark. You haven't even begun to earn the right to try that with me.

I can clear 78s with a Lifesprig, whats your point?

I dont have to earn anything, your attitude is extremely irritating, just because you dumped several thousand dollars in this game, doesnt make your opinion more important than any other player, i'm stopping here cause we are derailing the thread and it doesnt add anything to the discussion.

Have a good day
Lowest level Hardcore Atziri Kill ~ Level 65 ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyDB6Haa6U8
Level 100 Tempest HC with self-made and most played build of POE 2.0 ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlTUOhqEZ9s
(✿◠‿◠)
i just wanna know the base crit chance of icestorm ;_;
To be fair the goddess swords are hardly the only pseudo-useless uniques in this game.

But hijacks aside the staff looks great and might make es more popular again which is good. It also gives int, a pretty overlooked stat most of the time a pretty high-priority role this time around which is pretty fun by itself since usually stat stacking has only involved str until now.
Icestorm use a similar idea to one of my concept that use mana for damage scaling. Icestorm instead use Intelligence. :3
I am awoo.
"
Aggnog wrote:
To be fair the goddess swords are hardly the only pseudo-useless uniques in this game.

But hijacks aside the staff looks great and might make es more popular again which is good. It also gives int, a pretty overlooked stat most of the time a pretty high-priority role this time around which is pretty fun by itself since usually stat stacking has only involved str until now.

I agree, it will spawn a couple of unique int-stacking based builds and thats it, it will be fun to see how it turns out, nothing wrong with it.
Lowest level Hardcore Atziri Kill ~ Level 65 ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyDB6Haa6U8
Level 100 Tempest HC with self-made and most played build of POE 2.0 ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlTUOhqEZ9s
(✿◠‿◠)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info