Do you guys really enjoy it?

I must add I feel it is part of the design goal as this is meant to be a re-roll game, so they assume you max the one skill you want to use for that re-roll.
noun: escapism

the tendency to seek distraction and relief from unpleasant realities, especially by seeking entertainment or engaging in fantasy.
"
Toksic wrote:
This is not a new discussion, but I'll still bite. It is all up to you how you add more to the play style. My only char that feels like a clickity spam fest is my Mjolner char. Otherwise I always spice it up and either have a curse on hit action or some kind of crowd control. Examples are arc CoH for my CoC char, shocks and curses as well as my Ele Prolif Cold Snap on my incinerate build so take advantage of my Taming ring. I too find it boring as hell to spam one skill so I avoid builds for the most part that are hard to add any flare to. One more example is on my char that uses Infernal Mantle, I threw in Searing Bond just because it melts with that Chaos dmg conversion without much investment. It may be true that going all out one skill spam is faster clearing, but for a few seconds longer run I enjoy it a lot more truly role playing. I guess I'm more a nerd for that though, as all my chars have back stories and the whole nine yards, one is even a vampire! x3

it's great that you're having fun with your own builds! but to use some examples you cited, you also make use of 'cast on XXX' mechanics or basically any trigger mechanic. To me it feels like instead of us playing the game, our items are playing most of it for us.
ign:JaqenHghar

warbands
I dunno, sometimes I enjoy it until I don't and then I take a small break to play other games when it all just gets too.. hmm, tiring?

I'm the type who doesnt like levelling past 90, (never have) but sometimes I just find alot of enjoyment in a certain build and play it until it gets really boring which is what happened with my shatterchuck. (first lvl 89 WOO) Was probably alot of fun because of the spell versatility and facerolling content :3

Now I'm just planning a PvP build (high level) to just have some fun in sarn arena when im bored and have nothing to do.
Ugh effort
Part of this problem comes from trigger gems I think, but let me assure you that you will have a more complete and adaptable character if you make room for the following:

You main attack skill
Movement skill
A curse / curse on hit
A Vaal skill
A totem

In some cases, casting your own EC and IC is great. Sometimes you can fit a single target power in there.

Think about what is mandatory for a moment:
Put your aura's and heralds in your helm
A 5L + armor with a main attack
Some movement skill on an offhand

You have two more 4L and a 3L to play with. I usually have the spare socket in my armor from the 6s5L which I throw a portal or AA in. Give yourself a few more (useful) buttons to press!

In rampage I used 3 Vaal skills. There is not a build that doesn't love some Vaal Haste or Vaal Summon Skeletons.
I am probably in the minority but I enjoy focusing on just a few select skills and my dream, unique build that I want and to constantly rework and find ways to perfect it. Continuous theory crafting and on the lookout for more appropriate gear. As much as I hate to admit, GGG really helps in keeping my interest level from their tree overhaul every few months.

Even with all the BS with melee and other negative aspects of the game (rng, desync, nerfs, little high lvl content etc. ) my enjoyment of melee and desire to perfect my own creation far exceeds all the negatives put together. All my previous chars (deleted) and my current are melee and focused on melee skills I played with since the very beginning. Doubt I'll ever get tired of doing what I do unless game dies or I simply cannot play.

Also for me, not playing so much has kept the enjoyment level high. Limit yourself to playing 1-2 hour max a day and you may avoid burn out... though I realize it isnt a great strategy for temp leagues but thats why I prefer permanent. Diff perspective, priorities for diff leagues I guess.
Dark_Chicken - lvl 100 Marauder
Divine_Chicken - lvl 100 Duelist
Last edited by Dark_Chicken on Apr 7, 2015, 2:03:22 PM
Im not very rich nor powerfull because i always try new builds and try to find new mechanics since im a Build Hipster

i hate popular stuff and i hate overpowered stuff

I was sold POE as a build diveristy game and im still trying to find it
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
"
donong wrote:

Off the top of my head:
KB
ST
TS
COC
RF
FS

you just gave me a new insight: the biggest mistake ggg ever made is naming skills with anything consisting of two words.
thanks alot.

on topic: for a start they could make the second weapon slot usable for actual ingame interaction.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
Sexcalibure wrote:

I was sold POE as a build diveristy game and im still trying to find it

As you look for more and more clear speed, build diversity decreases. If you set your targets to some reasonable level, you'll find plenty of build run level 78 maps.

I like to use bows as the game's best example:

You cannot use Elemental Hit Ranged Totems these days and expect success. You can however pick any other bow skill and make it work (Lightning Arrow admittedly is pushing it now).
"
geradon wrote:
"
donong wrote:

Off the top of my head:
KB
ST
TS
COC
RF
FS

you just gave me a new insight: the biggest mistake ggg ever made is naming skills with anything consisting of two words.
thanks alot.

on topic: for a start they could make the second weapon slot usable for actual ingame interaction.

So... bring back snapshot?
No. Calm down. Learn to enjoy losing.
At this point it should be crystal clear that the game encourages re-rolling.

Re-rolling, temp leagues, and embracing the above fact is a cure all for a majority of the complaints I see about the current state of the game.

Of course one can still fully enjoy the game if re-rolling and temp leagues dont appeal to you, you simply have to take your head out of the ass that is the prevailing meta.

Create goals and challenges for yourself, role play a bit if applicable, take an active role in your experience rather than a reactionary passive one.
Noblesse oblige

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info