Do you guys really enjoy it?

So i've been playing POE on and off since closed beta and many times i get really worn out by it especially after grinding new leagues. Nothing unusual here i'm sure it happens to everyone. Not a hardcore gamer or anything but i do enjoy my fair share of ARPGs so whenever i get bored of POE i venture back into D3/Torchlight II/Grim Dawn.

While POE no doubt presents the highest gameplay depth in terms of mechanics, skill tree etc, the actual hacking and slashing of the mobs itself usually seems to get bland really quickly. What i mean is that almost all builds revolve around using ONE main attack skill for AOE and sometimes one for single target

Off the top of my head:
KB
ST
Flameblast
Arc
TS
COC
Cyclone
RF
FS

and not to mention:Whirling blades+lightning warp of course

I mean sure you can definitely create your own build and have fun using multiple types of skills within a single build to play the game but just look at the vast vast vast majority of builds out there that just rely on one or two skills to get through the game. And let's not kid ourselves the 'strongest' builds out there all rely on just cruising through maps spamming one skill. (COC/LLKB) The gameplay seems pretty straightforward for most builds just stack a couple of auras and then proceed to AOE AOE AOE singletarget AOEAOE singletarget and map ends.

TL;DR

Don't you guys get bored of spamming the same skill again and again? Seems like the most exciting part of the gameplay is having your build come together but after that it's just one skill all the way(mostly)
ign:JaqenHghar

warbands
"
donong wrote:

Don't you guys get bored of spamming the same skill again and again? Seems like the most exciting part of the gameplay is having your build come together but after that it's just one skill all the way(mostly)

Yup - but mostly, I get bored of getting the same garbage uniques over and over and over, and never seeing anything in the top tier drop.

Way to many fuckin years playing this game across way too many fucking hours to have maintained the same "find nothing ever" drop rates.

Im embarrassed by my own steam hours (that's not including the hours in on stand alone before the game went to steam), and yet , no matter how much I played, couldn't catch a break. That's pretty goddam pathetic, really.

Games fun, just don't expect to get amazing gear from playing the game. For that, you will have to join the Trades R Us club.
GGG - Why you no?
Yea, this is still a problem in PoE. Devs know it also, as they tried to make it more interesting implementing different synergy skills and vall gems, but the game is still lacking in that respect and 90% of builds are spam one dmg skill. Its still lacking and is very simple in the gameplay perspective with the combat it self.

Last edited by Ragnar119 on Apr 7, 2015, 12:54:53 PM
I find the actual gameplay to be one of PoE's biggest weaknesses. There are a lot of great concepts, but they didn't all gel to create good gameplay. Great theorycraft, though. I'd say the link concept is a great failing here. One, possibly 2 5-6L per char kinda limits the potential of multiple skill usage. Automatic conditional cast gems just further exasperated this.
No. Calm down. Learn to enjoy losing.
"
Ragnar119 wrote:
Yea, this is still a problem in PoE. Devs know it also, as they tried to make it more interesting implementing different synergy skills and vall gems, but the game is still lacking in that respect and 90% of builds are spam one dmg skill. Its still lacking and is very simple in the gameplay perspective with the combat it self.

yeah that was what i was thinking. I would think that this being an ARPG primarily should allow different skills to synergise together in a more fluid manner. Think D3 if you will(sue me), where using a one skill will buff the next one you use, to put things simplistically. For people used to POE's gameplay that might seem more tedious but at least it keeps things more interesting. I would not want to gimp myself in POE just to force a wider variety of combat skills in my build
ign:JaqenHghar

warbands
The alternative is inventing a new genre of video game, amassing a team of developers, spending 5 years making it, begging for money on kickstarter and then releasing your fail game to the masses.

>i'm bored

<what should we do?

>i dont know wish something and then magic :(
"
The alternative is inventing a new genre of video game, amassing a team of developers, spending 5 years making it, begging for money on kickstarter and then releasing your fail game to the masses.

>i'm bored

<what should we do?

>i dont know wish something and then magic :(

Bleh. Only an idiot would try to invent a new genre. The real money is in preying upon nostalgia for an old genre.
No. Calm down. Learn to enjoy losing.
This is not a new discussion, but I'll still bite. It is all up to you how you add more to the play style. My only char that feels like a clickity spam fest is my Mjolner char. Otherwise I always spice it up and either have a curse on hit action or some kind of crowd control. Examples are arc CoH for my CoC char, shocks and curses as well as my Ele Prolif Cold Snap on my incinerate build so take advantage of my Taming ring. I too find it boring as hell to spam one skill so I avoid builds for the most part that are hard to add any flare to. One more example is on my char that uses Infernal Mantle, I threw in Searing Bond just because it melts with that Chaos dmg conversion without much investment. It may be true that going all out one skill spam is faster clearing, but for a few seconds longer run I enjoy it a lot more truly role playing. I guess I'm more a nerd for that though, as all my chars have back stories and the whole nine yards, one is even a vampire! x3
noun: escapism

the tendency to seek distraction and relief from unpleasant realities, especially by seeking entertainment or engaging in fantasy.
"
b15h09 wrote:
I find the actual gameplay to be one of PoE's biggest weaknesses. There are a lot of great concepts, but they didn't all gel to create good gameplay. Great theorycraft, though. I'd say the link concept is a great failing here. One, possibly 2 5-6L per char kinda limits the potential of multiple skill usage. Automatic conditional cast gems just further exasperated this.

Indeed this, so called innovative link concept actually pretty much limit you to maxing one/two skills. Plus a lot of sockets "wasted" by auras/heralds (with reduced mana - which is additional socket), CWDT is pretty mandatory, some movement skill with faster casting / faster attack and you basically left with no sockets.

As a solution, I think every char should have "underwear simple robe" (tm), say at lvl 1 it 2L and at lvl 95 its 6L :P So you basically gonna have "build in 6l" at lvl 95 and on top of that you can use normal chest.

PS: also it will make leveling 1-70 more comfortable.
IGN: MsAnnoyance
Last edited by qquno on Apr 7, 2015, 1:17:30 PM
Honest question:

Why does it matter to people what everyone else is playing? You even admit that you can have fun with multiple skills in a build. How does it impact you if 99% of the players just flameblast? You might clear the content slower, but you'll have more fun right? Isn't that the point?

This isn't like an ARTS or something where you'll lose imaginary internet points because your build is worse than someone else's.

It would be nice if we got another 4 sockets to use somehow, though.
Read my book! The world ending in every way anyone ever thought it might end, all at once. First few chapters are available online for free.
http://www.amazon.com/The-End-World-Know-ebook/dp/B00CZ21JAQ
Last edited by TheTenthDoc on Apr 7, 2015, 1:18:44 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info