Naming characters in PoE is like

"
Moonyu wrote:
I feel bad for Aslyma. All that work for nothing.

I have tried what I consider to be obscure names to find them taken. Brings a smile to my face to know there are others out there that enjoy Thrud the barbarian or Recon Rabbit.

But I still come up with new names all the time.

So OP, what names did you want that were taken?

I think for the longest time I was trying to name my Templar with a crusader name, but MANY times I have been running into "taken" thingy. (not exact names, only parts of them, various combinations etc.).
Trying any movie/book/game character is waste of time. ANY.
Names from RNG (Random Name Generator :D) are (mostly) taken too - I've run into a streak of like 5-6 names taken. Tried quite a few of these too.
So now, I'm running witch called HowDo_I_Bow_I_Don'tEven for the 1 month league... yeah :D

Gotta admit that I'm quite impressed by the amount of characters in this game given the amount of players playing :P.

Ps.
For anyone not noticing, this is no "hate thread" - I just ran into that picture and found it quite relevant to PoE, so I tho I'd post it for teh lulz.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
I'm fine :-D And for the record, the last character I made with a new name was about two weeks ago. Success at first attempt.
Btw, the first line in my thread does say "to give you some ideas" but maybe I should add "inspiration". I.e. find a name and if it's taken, recombine, mash, get even better ideas and try those. And there are some powerful "do stuff from scratch" thingies in there, too like "Lyreword" (which I've been using in its various incarnations for more than a decade). But those do require slightly more work than just hitting "generate" :-D
"
Alysma wrote:
I'm fine :-D And for the record, the last character I made with a new name was about two weeks ago. Success at first attempt.
Btw, the first line in my thread does say "to give you some ideas" but maybe I should add "inspiration". I.e. find a name and if it's taken, recombine, mash, get even better ideas and try those. And there are some powerful "do stuff from scratch" thingies in there, too like "Lyreword" (which I've been using in its various incarnations for more than a decade). But those do require slightly more work than just hitting "generate" :-D

HEY, I'M NOT LAZY, OK?! D-: I did the name-crafting thingy, came up with some cool names (I think they are cool).
My point is more of that there are many characters that are not even played, but still they take up name space. For a few times, I have been hitting random letters, like "sdfsfgh" to create character for teh first 2 skill gems, and they were taken. (btw. I do believe that this site does not show every character, will check about it when I get back home)
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
I never called you lazy :-D
Also you can actually email Support and ask them to contact the person with a name you like to have and ask them if they would delete that level 1 character that has never made it out of Lioneye's. Success isn't very high, though because lots of people use throw-away email accounts to sign up that don't get checked often and they can of course say "no".
"
demon9675 wrote:
"
DalaiLama wrote:
You are correct, it is extremely difficult, like doing a root canal on an unsedated tiger, to find a unique name.

Henceforth, we should call on GGG to make one of the challenges finding a unique name. If you type in less than 1,000 names and get a unique one, you get one of the eight challenges.

Further, if in a new league you type in a unique name in the first 10 tries, you get a full set of all legacy items, boost to level 90 and 2 mirrors, 100 exalts, 50 eternals and a T-shirt hand knitted by the GGG team.

If you fail, however, then GGG is allowed to implant various skill gems in your body in the name of Vaal Science.

Sound fair?

The first name I ever entered when I started playing PoE was unique, so hopefully the rewards will apply retroactively!

I think the T-Shirts would be the bottle neck for that. We might have to send GGG the world's largest ball of yarn if we make it retroactive.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
Perq wrote:
"
Moonyu wrote:
So OP, what names did you want that were taken?

I think for the longest time I was trying to name my Templar with a crusader name, but MANY times I have been running into "taken" thingy. (not exact names, only parts of them, various combinations etc.).

Thanks - that's an interesting list of people I hadn't seen before :-)

So.................

I just glanced at the names, and first one that jumped at me (number seven on the list) was:
Richard of Salerno.

I just made a few minutes ago both Richard_of_Salerno and RichardofSalerno.

If you want them, pm me and I will delete them so you can have a crusader from that list. My guess is many others on that list aren't taken either.

"
Perq wrote:
Trying any movie/book/game character is waste of time. ANY.

Last league my main character was Teela_Jandrova_Brown - the luckiest person in the universe from Larry Niven's Ringworld series. I also had Jack_Brennan and Pak_Protector and a Larry Niven book character for each type (Scion, Templar etc). So, I would disagree with all movie/book characters being taken.

See_Threepio and Artoo_Detoo were available just a few months ago. Single names like Spock, or Luke or Yoda are going to be hard to get anytime you have more than a few hundred people making unique names.

In any case, good luck with your gaming and your character names :-)

update - I deleted Richard of Salerno. I tried the number TWO name on your listed page and lo and behold Peter_the_Hermit was available too. I made it and I deleted it, so you can get it if you want.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Mar 30, 2015, 7:10:38 AM
"
DalaiLama wrote:

Thanks - that's an interesting list of people I hadn't seen before :-)

It actually was also part of one the recent updates in my "Names" Thread. And yeah, plain lists are bound to run out of available names but thanks a lot for the confirmation that we aren't there, yet and congratulations on your success :-D
I had hoped to get ThunderCougarFalconBird for the 1-month, but alas... :(

Spoiler
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
My current favorite was got on the first try. Can't believe someone else didn't want Two_Dogs_Humping.

Aslyma, have you added Native American names yet?

"
Perq wrote:
HEY, I'M NOT LAZY, OK?! D-: I did the name-crafting thingy, came up with some cool names (I think they are cool).
My point is more of that there are many characters that are not even played, but still they take up name space. For a few times, I have been hitting random letters, like "sdfsfgh" to create character for teh first 2 skill gems, and they were taken. (btw. I do believe that this site does not show every character, will check about it when I get back home)

It would be nice if racing characters didn't have names, because I suspect racers are a big contributor to the name vacuum of button mashings. You really need to do a two-handed button mash to get a reliable name on the first try. sdfsdsd is home-row 1 handed, practically all those names are taken.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info