[2.0 HC Updated] Montreguls Block Summoner with SRS

MONTREGULS BLOCK SUMMONER for 2.0

Updated for Awakening
Due to mechanic changes in the Awakening expansion, the original 1.3 build no longer works. The biggest change comes from the way Eldritch Battery work in 2.0 and also reduced mana gem, making it fairly difficult to run the traditional EB+MOM+AA defensive setup due to lack of mana pool. Because of the new challenges introduced in the Awakening expansion, a functional defensive mechanism is vital for long term success. In 2.0 we will feature block in our build.

The 2.0 Build:

This Build Features:

* Base stat +113 strength, +144 dexterity, +223 intelligence (dex is critical for vaal haste)
* Up to 90% increased duration (SRS summons)
* 141% maximum life
* 6.6% life regeneration
* 60% increased mana
* 145% increased mana regeneration
* +16% block
* +7% chance for spell block
* 135% increased defenses from shield
* 14% reduced mana reserved
* +4 zombies
* 2 jewel slots, can attain more

As i'm still in the process of updating my gear, the stats shown here is just to give you an idea what it'll be like once i'm done. Using an Aegis Aurora & a corrupted 4% block Stone of Lazwar, my melee block is 52%; normally you'll be at 46% using Lioneyes or 48% using Aegis without corrupted amulet. To compliment this, we will use a Rainbowstride Boots (a common setup with shield block tanks) which gives us 38% spell block. With +7% to spell block nodes, we end up with 40% to 45% spell block.

One of the benefits of attaining high block is increased defense stats from your shield. Using a Lioneye shield, you're armor rating should be well over 5k. Using an Aegis will have less armor rating however, you'll get a major boost on Energy Shield.

The last complimenting feature of this build is high life regeneration and sufficient mana regen for endless SRS spamming.

Gems
(Still experimenting, gems can change)

4L Helm: Zombie + Minion Damage + Multistrike + Fortify
4L Gloves: Ball Lightning + GMP + Curse on Hit + Vulnerability/Enfeeble
4L Boots: Spectre + Chaos Golems + Minion Damage/Life + Increased Duration (use Evangelist as Spectre)
3L Weapon: Flesh Offering + Desecrate + Fast Cast
3L Shield: Generosity + Hatred + Convocation
1S Rings: Clarity (level 10ish is enough) / Arctic Armor / Purity of X / Vaal Haste
5L/6L Chest: Summon Raging Spirit + Minion Damage + Spell Echo + Multistrike + Melee Splash (5L) + Faster Casting/Melee Physical/Faster Attack/Minion Speed (Optional 6L)
1S Chest (if 6S 5L): Purity of X / Vaal Haste

Jewels
Look for combinations of:

- Block chance
- Life
- Minion life / damage
- Faster casting

Auras

- Generosity + Hatred
- Clarity (level 6-10 should be enough)
- Arctic Armor

Or you can run

- Generosity + Hatred
- Pick up MoM node for 1 skill point

Uniques

* Mon'tregul's Grasp
* Stone of Lazwar
* Rainbowstride Boots
* Lioneye's Remorse (better) or Aegis Aurora (good)
* Special mention -- Not a unique, but we need to enchant +1 zombie to chest so we can have a total of 4 montregul zombies.

Build Synergies

* GMP ball lightning ensures full screen coverage to proc Vulnerability curse + EE
* EE will make monsters resistant to lightning, but vulnerable to fire & cold
* Vulnerability makes our minions do significantly more damage
* When zombies kill a monster, corpse explode for fire damage
* Generosity + Hatred ensures our minions do significant cold damage
* If a monster gets past the wall of minions, you will have ~50% chance to block attacks
* If you get hit, you will have high armor for damage mitigation OR slight regenerating Energy Shield from Aegis Aurora.

Since Awakening is still fresh, I'll need to thoroughly test this concept build.

1.3 HC Summoner Data:
Spoiler
INTRODUCTIONS

This build works with either a Witch or Templar although I prefer starting as a Templar for aesthetic reasons. Most of the gems can be acquired as you level as a Templar but trading is always a suggested option. This is a spec and build that I found to be very successful & tanky and I've been doing quite well in Bloodlines & Hardcore.

THE BUILD

Spoiler
FULL Build -- Complete at Level 85
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUAp1VboEPITwRo8nwOogDwHwSzkDOmrIhARUfAZvqAKpjZC6cIuJMy0YCkVdZk5xcv-tIdFI9GTbkQl0QEzLz315uhhWCqxFXGOlismIPbXyp0VUyzBAdr230Y7IpqQ8BUCPRtGbzq2wuCHsHzlSBrF_Iev5fJPRzcf8aio_nogsco-uvu2L3-Crc-QYeE2QHcvop4DalutfI1ktX4xLi9Nkd-vqdlTQUteu907YTvYSHi6oUydPEhYECgXhNgS2qsWpGofdP7E2wGSVNSRZ2a4H5Z

* Full minion nodes for strong minions, spectres, and SRS damage
* +205% mana regeneration rate from tree
* 6% life regeneration rate (can be higher)
* 85% maximum mana
* 153% maximum life (can be higher)
* 44% increased armor (can be higher)
* 5% +all to elemental resistance (can be +15%)
* Ignores movement penalties from armor
* +90~+120 Dex, +280 Int, +120 Strength (allows easy gearing and gemming)
* Can run high level AA
)

Level 89 Necromatic Aegis Build -- For advanced boss hunting
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUAp1VboEPITwRo8nwOogDwHwSzkDOmrIhARUfAZvqAKpjZC6cIuJMy0YCkVdZk5xcv-tIdFI9GTbkQl0QEzLz315uhhWCqxFXGOlismIPbXyp0VUyzBAdr230Y7IpqQ8BUCPRtGbzq2wuCHsHzlSBrF_Iev5fJPRzcf8aio_nogsco-uvu2L3-Crc-QYeE2QHcvop4DalutfI1ktX4xLi9Nkd-vqdlTQUteu907YTvYSHi6oUydPEhYECgXhNgS2qsWpGofdP7E2wGSVNSRZ2a4H5ZsHdGcbQMkyc=

Once your Resist is over capped without your shield (easily doable w/o MF gear), you will want to take Necromatic Aegis. If you are able to reach this, you are no longer a newbie and should have some currency saved up to pick up some unique shields. Shields to use at this stage for boss hunting will be:
* Sentari's Answer (good / cheap block shield for general use with zombies)
* Rathpith (a much more expensive general shield for zombies)
* Crest of Perandus (for Dom / lightning boss)
* Saffel's Frame / Rise of Phoenix (for Crema / fire boss)

LEVELING

Spoiler
Leveling as a summoner is actually quite easy. Although your zombies and spectres are quite useless in the early levels, continue to level them. Your primary attack will be SRS (summon raging skulls) as you level. Because SRS is also a minion, your minion skill nodes bonuses will apply to their performance.

Leveling Suggestions

20 Points
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUAfA6nVVugQ8hPBKIA8B9o8pAzpqyIQEVHwGYEs9kLpwi4kzLRKpj6gA==

38 Points
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUAfA6nVVugQ8hPBKIA8B9o8pAzpqyIQEVHwGYEs9kLpwi4kzLRKpj6gFXGOlismPfXm6GPRoPbgKRV1mTnFy_60h0Ua9tMswQHfRhtGQ==

60 Points
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUAfA6nVVugQ8hPBKIA8B9o8pAzpqyIQEVHwGYEs9kLpwi4kzLRKpj6gFXGOlismPfXm6GPRoPbgKRV1mTnFy_60h0Ua9tMswQHfRhtGUQEzLyqxPnogsco-uvu2L3-Crc-QYc1ktrdakPAVAj0vOrbC4IewfOVIGsX

84 Points
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUAfA6nVVugQ8hPBKIA8B9o8pAzpqyIQEVHwGYEs9kLpwi4kzLRKpj6gFXGOlismPfXm6GPRoPbgKRV1mTnFy_60h0Ua9tMswQHfRhtGUQEzLyqxPnogsco-uvu2L3-Crc-QYc1kr02R36E2QHcvop4DalutfK-p2VNBS1673TthO9hIeLqdPEhYECgXhNgS9X4xLja3WpDwFQI9Lzq2wuCHsHzlSBrF4Uy

99 Points
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUAfA6nVVugQ8hPBKIA8B9o8pAzpqyIQEVHwGYEs9kLpwi4kzLRKpj6gFXGOlismPfXm6GPRoPbgKRV1mTnFy_60h0Ua9tMswQHfRhtGUQEzLyqxPnogsco-uvu2L3-Crc-QYc1kr02R36E2QHcvop4DalutfK-p2VNBS1673TthO9hIeLqdPEhYECgXhNgS9X4xLja3YUyakPAVAj0U1JFnZrghWBNuVqRqH3T-2qsvOrbC4IewfOVIGsX8h6_l8k9HNx_xqKj

Level 85 Finished Build
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUAp1VboEPITwRo8nwOogDwHwSzkDOmrIhARUfAZvqAKpjZC6cIuJMy0YCkVdZk5xcv-tIdFI9GTbkQl0QEzLz315uhhWCqxFXGOlismIPbXyp0VUyzBAdr230Y7IpqQ8BUCPRtGbzq2wuCHsHzlSBrF_Iev5fJPRzcf8aio_nogsco-uvu2L3-Crc-QYeE2QHcvop4DalutfI1ktX4xLi9Nkd-vqdlTQUteu907YTvYSHi6oUydPEhYECgXhNgS2qsWpGofdP7E2wGSVNSRZ2a4H5ZsHdGcbQMkyc=

Optional Paths -- Full Build Options:

Spoiler
1. Path of LIfe

2. Path of Mana

3. Path of Damage
Spoiler

+ Elemental Equilibrium
+ 16% cast speed

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUAfA6nVVugQ8hPBKIA8B9o8pAzpqyIQEVHwGYEs9kLpwi4kzLRKpj6gFXGOlismPfXm6GPRoPbgKRV1mTnFy_60h0Ua9tMswQHfRhtGUQEzLyqxPnogsco-uvu2L3-Crc-QYc1kr02R36E2QHcvop4DalutfK-p2VNBS1673TthO9hIeLqdPEhYECgXhNgS9X4xLiFMmpDwFQI9FNSRZ2a4IVgTblakah90_tqrLzq2wuCHsHzlSBrFxNsBkkQl18q6-TsivIev5fJPRzcf8aio5itLJwk2IVt1YE=

Tip 1 -- When using Elemental Equilibrium, make sure your rings/amulet/armor do not have +fire or +cold damage, or else EE will be screwed up.

Tip 2 -- Recolor your boots from BBRR to BBBR. Put Arc or Ball Lightning into the 3rd blue, and remove either Increased Duration or Add Fire Damage from Specter link.

4. Path of SRS

BANDITS
1. Kill
2. Kill
3. Kill

GEARS EXAMPLES & GEM SETUP

Not only is this build tanky, but as you upgrade your gear, you're able to run reasonable MF. I am currently focused on a mix of IIQ/IIR and Mapping efficiency. I can run every map so far without too much problems (Level 87 HC). The best part is that i'm practically immune to Leapers. Your mapping stats will be even stronger if you ignore MF completely. However, with 16% IIQ and 120 IIR, i've gotten very good drops (Belly of Beast, Alphas, Aurora Champion, Cloak of Defiance, just to name a few), not to mention high rates of rares for Alternation orbs. I"m currently up to 170% IIR in my regular mapping gear.

Updated Gear (Level 87)

Current Setup Level 87 HC: I'm using a modified Path of Damage with Elemental Equilibrium & Ball Lightning + GMP + Curse on Hit + Enfeeble / Vulnerability. I moved my Specter into an Unset Ring by itself, works very well, surprisingly!!!

MF in my normal mapping gear on HC +170%

Spoiler

COOL UNIQUES FOUND WITH 16% IIQ/ 116 IIR

GEMS Notes
Purity of Lightning: Can be exchanged with Purity of Element in an ideal RRBB glove.
Purity of Fire: Can be exchanged with spare Red gem slot in the RRBB glove.

GEAR Suggestions
Helm: +2 helm, preferrably Armor ~or~ Armor + ES
chest: High Armor + ES, which will boost mana pool for MOM.
Gloves: Unique such as Sadima or Aurseize, or Armor + ES rare. Ideally RRBB.
Boots: Bones of Ullr (3 spectre, 9 zombie) or Armor + ES rare
Belt: Perandus or Leather belt with strong resist & life
Shield: Go for the highest Armor or Armor + ES. High Armor + ES is preferred because you want the ES to increase your mana pool for MoM.
Amulet/Rings/Weapon: Get UNSET rings. Look for mana regeneration, MF (if you want), Life, resist, mana, energy shield etc.

Regarding when to take EB and MOM

I ran the tree out to these nodes but I did not take it until I was in the 60s. I go by a gut feel. You can take EB much earlier. The key is to have enough Energy Shield and Mana/Mana Regen to make good use of EB and MOM. As soon as you take EB and MOM, start cranking up Clarity gem and start leveling up Arctic Armour. You will become increasingly tanky. One of the big skill nodes to support this is "Mana Flow" near the Duelist (bottom) of the skill tree.

in 1.4 -- EB will change drastically. Will update again in the new patch.

Special Mentions About Map Mods

* Blood Magic -- no problems. No Arctic Armour & MoM so play slower. Your normal life regen out regen your skill spam. Use granits and pots.
* 50% slower recovery -- no problems. Can use Arctic Armour by running and pausing. Your normal regen will out regen your skill spam. When in doubt, pause a second to recover.

Alright folks, feel free to comment or leave questions for me. I will continue to provide updates to this as I get time. I hope you find this version of a summoner to be slightly different and just as fun as the other variants on the site.

-- Change Log --
7/29/2015: Updated build name (revenant summoner is too confusing due to revenant monster which we don't use). Updated gems. Added auras.
7/12/2015: Updated 2.0 build
7/11/2015: Moved 1.3 build into Spoiler. Will update for 2.0 soon.
5/14/2015: Updated guide, added optional paths, updated Level 87 HC gear.
3/24/2015: Language update, added Full build tree @ 89, updating with bandits.
3/12/2015: Initial post
Last edited by dragonagefun on Jul 29, 2015, 4:40:09 AM
Are you just taking skill points from the Bandits every time?
"
false0start wrote:
Are you just taking skill points from the Bandits every time?

Yes bandits all 3 times since the 3 extra skill points you get goes a long way. I'll get it updated into my guide.
RIP Updates 3/24:

RIP #1: My original templar ripped at 85 to Living Blood bleed. Completely careless mistake, dead in about a second. I didn't stop moving till too late.

RIP #2: I remade another summoner and got to 82 in a few days. Unfortunately just about an hour before season ended, I ripped in Crematorium in an un-identified map. What killed me was getting dsync'd (rubberband) around a doorway while a ton of frosts/storms exploded under me.

HOWEVER --

This build works and is very strong. I have built it up 2x successfully. The strength of this build is not relying on rare Uniques such as COD to achieve a very tanky summoner, and still attain full minion nodes.

Both characters had very similar stats at time of RIP -- keep in mind, i was running hybrid MF gear so I could've pushed my life up significantly more by wearing Rare glove, belt, and/or boots.

* ~4100-4300 life
* ~250 life regen
* ~250 mana regen (running level 18 arctic armour)
* ~116IIR 16IIQ / 140IIR 8IIQ
* 650 mana left after Auras
* Aura: Hatred-Generosity / Clarity (18) / Purity of Lightning-or-Elements (18)

For Degen maps, I would swap ring to use Rejuv Totem. With this totem, my life regen is ~350 / second and counters most degen. Otherwise, I would run vaal haste.

Last edited by dragonagefun on Mar 23, 2015, 6:34:23 PM
Update 3/26

Now that Bloodline has ended and merged with HC, I restarted another Revenant Summoner build. It's been several days of leveling, and i'm back to Level 69. Using the same concept as my post, I'm back to maps and very successful at running 66-70 maps. Hopefully by the time i'm closer to 80 (minion nodes reasons), i'll start running 74+ maps again. I was also able to increase my IIR and IIQ back up to 110% IIR and 6% IIQ and I've been successful at finding more uniques.

Here's are my defensive/misc stats at 69:

Defensive:
Spoiler

Misc:
Spoiler

Here's my current Tree at 69:

* At 70, i'm taking Mind over Matter since my mana pool after aura reservation is around 450 mana.
* I've been mapping with 2 spectres and 6 zombies (I wear Boots of Ullr at the moment).
* After 70, all my points will be put into getting minion nodes, and eventually complete my build by level 85.

Here are some more uniques I've found..
NOT BAD for having around 110-120 IIR and 6-16% IIQ while still being very tanky and sacrificing none of my mapping abilities. This was found between my #2 RIP (level 82) and current #3 build (level 69).

More updates another day.. Possibly when I hit level 75-80.

Last edited by dragonagefun on Mar 27, 2015, 12:52:02 AM
Can you show your staff on this build what you play right now ;];]
Kangurr, sure here's my gear at level 72. It's pretty much the same since mid-60s. It's nothing amazing, which is the point of why this build is great.

Let me explain a bit about the gear:

This is not optimized gear, but it's what I can find. Most of my really good gear was RIP'd to standard from Bloodline.

Wand:
* The critical stat I always look for are +cast speed > +mana regen > +mana. Having cast speed here is critical to getting SRS casted. Mana regen is critical to being able to run higher AA.
Chest:
* I bought this 6s 5L chest as a white armor, for 3c. I threw about 10-12 alcs/scouring at this chest to get the current stats. It's not great, but it's usable. It's important to get a 6s chest to run one of your misc gems: Convocation, enfeeble, vaal haste/rejuv totem. As a AR/ES chest, it makes most sense to run Convocation or Enfeeble for color reasons. This SRS build runs very efficiently as a 5L. If you only have a 5s 4L, I would take out melee physical damage.
Glove & Arctic Armor?
Due to Aurseize, it's much easier to roll RGBB. Your best option however is to roll RRBB, and use rejuv totem in the extra R slot. This way, you can put Purity of Lightning and Fire here as swap. I will be rolling RRBB color when I get more level.
Rings & Amulet:
Rings, you definitely want to look for Unset Rings or else you'll be short on gem slot. Stats you're looking for are life, IIR, and resist. Mana/ES and mana regen are huge bonuses if you can also find it.
** Note on Ring & Amulet: I often throw an Alc at amulets / rings with nice base stats. It's a big roll of dice and most often you don't get anything useful... BUT... these can be used for Chaos Recipe so it's still very useful.

Gems:
* It's really easy to log onto poe.trade and search for quality gems. The trick here is to look for mid-tier Quality so you can get quality on gems for only very few chaos.
* My 20% Raise Zombie gem was bought at 15% for 5c. I had GCPs in my bank and from vendoring trash Q Gems. My 18% SRS was bought at 12% for 2c. Again, throughout my play, I will buy/trade for GCP and slowly upgrade my gem to 20%.
* The critical gems to get to 20% first is Zombie and SRS. I plan to upgrade my Arctic Armour next for faster movement speed, and then possibly Multistrikes, etc...

My Current Skill Tree at 73:

Hope this is useful.

Last edited by dragonagefun on Mar 27, 2015, 8:46:31 PM
Just hit level 85 HC

Spoiler

Completed the worst map mod, 139% more items Maze

Spoiler

Looted a few more fun Uniques during my journey from 76 to 85, 110 IIR, 12 IIQ

Spoiler
is this viable for the current 1MHC Torment/Bloodline Race?
Yes absolutely. This build was originally designed for Bloodline and self found, where I had an empty stash. Within 2 weeks of casual play, I was up and running mapping 70-76s. Map pool was difficult to build up in 1.5 month, so I was mostly running 70-73 and sometimes 74-76. My first summoner made it to 84 before I RIP due to *very* careless play (Living Blood bleed).

The passive tree is very strong and shines for a self found new race player. You are not gear dependent, and the better gear you find, the stronger you become. As you can see from my latest gear, it's nothing special. Yet, my summoner as of tonight is now level 86.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info