Elemental To Physical Conversion

I'm not on forums very much so excuse me if there is a similar suggestion.

So I noticed theres a lot of physical to elemental conversions, but none of elemental to physical conversion. Why is that? Does elemental to physical conversion not work with the way damage is calculated?

This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
It's not that it can't exist, to my knowledge.

But, generally, you may not want to support every possible conversion. Limiting what you can do is sometimes as valuable as opening up what you can do, as it gives the game flavor and character.

I'm not saying that I am against any one single particular conversion, but I am saying that I have mixed feelings against having every possible conversion.
Infinite loops are bad. Once the game allows conversion of A to B, it cannot allow B to A because of how it calculates things.

You will never see:
Anything to Physical
Chaos to anything
Fire to anything, except Fire to Chaos
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Infinite loops are bad. Once the game allows conversion of A to B, it cannot allow B to A because of how it calculates things.

You will never see:
Anything to Physical
Chaos to anything

basically this, but...

outside of Voltaxic's Lightning to Chaos conversion, but what converts Fire to chaos? O.o

Edit: Troll mantle. I forgot. >.<
"If you’re incompetent, you can’t know you’re incompetent. […] the skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is." ~David Dunning
Last edited by TikoXi on Feb 18, 2015, 6:17:44 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

You will never see:
Anything to Physical
Chaos to anything
Scrotie is correct. The order is:
Physical > Lightning > Cold > Fire > Chaos
Damage of any type can be converted to any type further up the chain, but never further back, because that would allow infinite loops of damage being converted.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

You will never see:
Anything to Physical
Chaos to anything
Scrotie is correct. The order is:
Damage of any type can be converted to any type further up the chain, but never further back, because that would allow infinite loops of damage being converted.

No, you can simply place a stopper. Whatever conversion has the highest value is applied while other conflicting conversions are ignored. It's been implemented in a number of other games before.
"
Natharias wrote:
No, you can simply place a stopper. Whatever conversion has the highest value is applied while other conflicting conversions are ignored. It's been implemented in a number of other games before.

He wasn't saying it can't be programmed he said:

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
because of how it calculates things.

It's not done because of the way it's been implemented. Not because it's not possible to program a way to convert it differently.

You can program a whole lot of stuff. You can program all sorts of rules for conversions without getting loops. In fact, POE was once programmed with snapshotting but was rewritten to auto-update to changes in skills based off new values.

It's a question of priorities. Is having a one way track of conversions really in need of a rework? I'd imagine the damage conversion is calculated not a base modification to the skill, but every time the damage function is called (Every time any entity in the game is damaged), it does the damage type conversions there. Complicating such a commonly called function could have an adverse effect on performance. Thus a rework would required to optimize it and I'm sure there's other things higher on the totem pole rather than "We need to convert something to physical."

I don't know if it's in need of a rework, but I certainly like the creativity I've seen in people using conversions and three dragons.
Last edited by PsionicKitten on Feb 18, 2015, 8:26:04 PM
"
PsionicKitten wrote:
"
Natharias wrote:

He wasn't saying it can't be programmed he said:

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
because of how it calculates things.
To be fair, Scrotie did use the word "never", which is not really a statement about just the current state of the code.

"
PsionicKitten wrote:
I'm sure there's other things higher on the totem pole rather than "We need to convert something to physical."
As am I, but I'm certain there are things higher on the totem pole than basically everything that's ever been suggested. It's not our job to decide where things go on the list of priorities, only GGG can do that. This is just the suggestions forum.
They could probably make elemental -> physcial conversion work in a roundabout way:

let's say 10% of elemental damage is converted to physical. Instead of running it through the conversion system, just have this:

10% of elemental damage added as physical
10% less elemental damage

Of course it wouldn't interact with various increased damage and converted damage sources the same way conversion does, so maybe it shouldn't be called conversion just to be clear. But the intended function is possible.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
The order is:
Damage of any type can be converted to any type further up the chain
Hmm someone please remind me what converts lightning to cold?
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info