rebalancing crit

If they want to rebalance crit, I would say just make Crit Multiplier additive, instead of multiplicative to the base crit multiplier.
Right now 100% increased crit multiplier gets, 1.3 x 2 = 2.6x multiplier.
Instead just make it additive to base, so, 1.3 + 1 = 2.3x multiplier.

"
I'm willing to admit, however, that bows might be an outlier here. Many other weapon types known for game-breaking crit builds, such as wands, daggers, or staves (like the new one GGG has revealed) already have base crit chances above 5%. In those cases, perhaps I was wrong in my previous post and it makes more sense to change around the base weapon stats.

Are you serious? Staff? Since when is crit staves overpowered?
"
Starxsword wrote:

Right, not a major offender in any way, I've got a crit staff sweeper and with the way crit on left side was restructured it can work decent enough but it's far from being a gamebreaker. Also, staves are slow, high damage weapons so crits hit very hard, making reflect more dangerous than for 1H weapon users which also have a shield as extra protection.

Actually, out of all 'crit weapons', only scepters are worse off than staves.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
I really like where (thrusting) sword crit is at the moment.. It feels like just the right amount of investment to build a 1/4 to 1/3 crit chance, which benefits from local attack speed (for a crit rate approaching 2/s with high investment) and implicit crit multi. It is unfortunate because it works due to "all the good things" syndrome, but it is also I think the most balanced example of crits in the game at the moment.

Staff was given some interesting fluff, but they definitely went overboard when they gutted str crit.

Strictly speaking of str and str peripheral crit, imho, axes should be brought on par with thrusting swords as a slower, higher chance (net same frequency), and heavier hitting option. 2h swords to a slightly lesser degree, a non- RT option mostly because their implicit accuracy should (in my idealized scenario) lead them to a reliable 0.25 to 0.5 crits per second with virtually zero investment, and because they'd be the de facto str based bleeding weapon. Maces as the de facto RT weapon with an obvious love affair with stun. And staves/scepters just above maces, a crit option solely because their base chance means it's a relatively small investment to pull off (imo the ideal rate of) ~0.75 to 1.25 crits per second, and because they're given more interesting "because you critted" support options (more things like 10% chance to gain EC on staff crit). E.g., I'd be a-okay with scepters gaining 100% chance to fortify for 500ms, or "10% additional chance to inflict status ailments for 500 ms after landing a critical strike" if they could push close to 1 crit/second with reasonable investment and had a ceiling that approached 2 crits per second with extreme over speccing. The latter is assuming crits no longer auto-ailment.

On a power continuum, each of these options have something else working for them, with a magnitude relative to how much crit vs not-crit they have working for them. The epitome being maces and their "stun all the things all the time," and scepters/staves on the opposite end of the spectrum having the most "because you crit" bag of tricks. Everything else in between is equally viable RT, low investment accuracy, or full crit. Full crit in this scenario is no longer "every hit" but measured around that rate of 0.75 to 1.25 per second with a ceiling that approaches 2/s.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
You know, Pants, it could be done similar to D&D rules with weapons having different base crit multiplier as well as chance. So, a dagger might have 7% chance and 120% multi, a sword might have 6% chance and 150% multi while an axe might go with 5% chance and a whooping 180% multi. So, you would use a dagger if you want to trigger many 'on crit' effects, but an axe could be equally devastating damage-wise if build for crit.

And it also makes sense, a light weapon is easy to control but has little weight and leverage behind, but if a blow from a heavy bladed weapon happens to hit where it counts it should hurt like hell.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Apr 10, 2015, 2:01:24 PM
I've made that argument and request a number of times in the past* ^-^ It is among the best ideas IMO. For bows, for example, Harbinger could have a nearly nonexistent crit multi meanwhile things like Thicket/Imperial would have closer to normal, and less popular things like the Sniper and Maraketh could have overwhelming criticals.

It is much more elegant than simply gutting Harbinger's implicit (which has been suggested far too many times) because crit frequency is the exclusive metric.

*Although I've never drawn the parallel to D&D. It's clever, but I wouldn't exactly call it a good role model for balance.. D&D is (in some cases) even more imbalanced than our current role model, M:tG. It's actually very similar to our current state of affairs with PoE though--balanced for the most part, but with a few too many things that utterly break the game due to no greater reason than simply that's how the game is.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Apr 10, 2015, 2:40:51 PM
"
Starxsword wrote:
If they want to rebalance crit, I would say just make Crit Multiplier additive, instead of multiplicative to the base crit multiplier.
Right now 100% increased crit multiplier gets, 1.3 x 2 = 2.6x multiplier.
Instead just make it additive to base, so, 1.3 + 1 = 2.3x multiplier.

"
I'm willing to admit, however, that bows might be an outlier here. Many other weapon types known for game-breaking crit builds, such as wands, daggers, or staves (like the new one GGG has revealed) already have base crit chances above 5%. In those cases, perhaps I was wrong in my previous post and it makes more sense to change around the base weapon stats.

Its definitely not, I agree. But the new vile staff seems to have had its crit tuned down, so I guess I'm trying to see why from GGG's perspective? Idk. You're right staves shouldnt be nerfed (I have a toon who uses hegemony's so I hope they aren't!)
We're all in this leaky boat together, people.
"
SaiyanZ wrote:
[...]
So 50% increased crit multi on an item seems like a 75% increased crit multi to me, since increased means additive in all other parts of the game.

The increases are all additive, and then they get applied to a base value. It may be a little confusing in case of crit multiplier, because the base value is given in percentage, however increases apply consistent with everything else in the game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info