Have you nothing better to do than deal in PoE currency?

I don't care when people try to sell their currency at going rates, but it's obnoxious when trade chat is cluttered with spam posts that attempt to screw others out of their money. No one who knows anything about trade is going to bite.
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
"
shigs wrote:
"
StDrakeX wrote:
Why is getting you down?

Because (but I'm no economic theorist so I might be wrong) it makes everything so flipping expensive. I see people buying up fusings just to sell them for more when I'm trying to 6l the chest I want to wear, that makes me sad.

Without the flippers no one would know what you should truly value your things. It's a good thing. You should be able to know that "oh since they're trying to scam people at these rates" then you should value what you have more easily. It also sets the standard that fusings should be worth a little more than what they're offering so you can accept it or not. If there is a certain amount where I see in Standard usually hovers around 40-42 last time I checked but let's say 40 all the time. Then that would be a perfect market equilibrium which sadly will not exist. The only way to get this is use vendors but people will offer better rates then those leading to the same problem.

Recruiting for Archnemesis League/Siege of the Atlas!
Umbra Exiles:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3244875
The Official Path of Exile Guild Directory:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1192567
"
shigs wrote:
"
sanleon wrote:

If you dont have enough money you are shit

Sounds like a balance issue if you need to become a trader or be "shit".

It is that way since day one! Besides it is that way in every single multiplayer game out there where you are able to trade.
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
"
Without the flippers no one would know what you should truly value your things. It's a good thing. You should be able to know that "oh since they're trying to scam people at these rates" then you should value what you have more easily.

A very big misconception in my opinion. Flipping in a game or even in RL is nothing but cancer to the real world. Sry if my expression is offensive, but it really is a 1:1 analogy.

Flipping is a secondary economy which does not produce anything, its mpact is:

1, True value of items is converged more accuractly (this is the only SMALL advantage, but still people think that such a great perk, NO IT ISNT, because the disadvantages far outweight the pros)

2, Flipping consumes resources (at least time but in RL also material resources like fuel or electricity)
3, overall prices increase, making an economy disadvantagous for everybody who is not flipping

I know that people who flip a lot see themselves as smart and probably they are, but they overlook the fact that flipping is nothing productive, but rather stealing.

Just imagine how an economy would look like if there are no flipper: Casuals would make a good deal from time to time.(while flippers are around the deal is either even or bad) I dont see how price fluctuation is a bad thing. Flippers justify flipping with the price convergence as some kind of holy grail of economy, but I doubt this.

Dont overrate this price convergence, in reality flipping is nothing more than cancer which infested the real economy.
Its really that simple. Also I am not mad at flipper, Id also take my chances, when I get them, but I also try to see the things as they really are.

Id also flip if:
-I wasnt too lazy
-find it enjoyable (which I dont, because I rather play the game)

Usually I like the idea of "metagaming" but I dont think the concept of trade fits into any ARPG which focus on item progression. (because its a bypass around a core mechanic)
Last edited by ExiledRenor on Feb 3, 2015, 6:47:51 PM
The reason why flipping orbs is so common is because most people trade almost strictly in two orbs. Some smart players trade gear for other orbs to get more value or to replenish dwindling stockpiles of orbs they plan on using. If I plan on trading for something I know that I will likely need exalts or chaos to make it happen or will likely have to overpay with something else. On top of that we have gcp's, regrets, and regals that have little use to new players who badly need chaos to purchase gear.

So while you may think they scumbagging, they are helping new players get what they need while collecting orbs that higher level players need while making a profit. They are filling a gap in the economy. I think some take it too far but there are plenty that give at least somewhat reasonable rates. You really have to consider the player that's just scraping by to get his character to work.

Someone mentioned that they increase the price of orbs that they were buying but wouldn't this be offset by you selling some other orbs you have at this increased rate. I'm sure they must be increasing the price of many orbs if this was true. I think they actually decrease the price of orbs because they are freeing up orbs that would otherwise be sitting in players inventory gathering dust because most players only want chaos and exalts for trades.

Of course I could be wrong but I'd love to hear why.
IGN Prescienta_et_Alia
Last edited by RabbajMog on Feb 4, 2015, 2:01:21 AM
peple r usin ecanmy to gain money, hurrr, durrrr, I don't want to, hurrr, is stupid, hurrrr

I hate fippers too. So? I just put ignore on them on the trade chats, if I need currency exchange. Easy? Easy.

Some people might find it fun. You don't? Cool beans, just do your thing. Wonder why people feel the need to bash stuff they don't like doing. I felt it few times myself, but now I just go on with my thing. This is how you mature, boiz.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
sutch a bummer

that the economie is based upon:
linking your stash taps with gear you sell, to 3e grogam webpages (poe-goods), via this site
the more stash taps, the more you can put on the market, the more you can use 3e program software, the richer you get

its pay to win, and liget sheats
"
Perq wrote:
peple r usin ecanmy to gain money, hurrr, durrrr, I don't want to, hurrr, is stupid, hurrrr

I hate fippers too. So? I just put ignore on them on the trade chats, if I need currency exchange. Easy? Easy.

Some people might find it fun. You don't? Cool beans, just do your thing. Wonder why people feel the need to bash stuff they don't like doing. I felt it few times myself, but now I just go on with my thing. This is how you mature, boiz.

Exactly at first why I addressed why is it getting op down ... and to address end of days economics degree major here,

"
ExiledRenor wrote:

Dont overrate this price convergence, in reality flipping is nothing more than cancer which infested the real economy.
Its really that simple. Also I am not mad at flipper, Id also take my chances, when I get them, but I also try to see the things as they really are.

Id also flip if:
-I wasnt too lazy
-find it enjoyable (which I dont, because I rather play the game)

Usually I like the idea of "metagaming" but I dont think the concept of trade fits into any ARPG which focus on item progression. (because its a bypass around a core mechanic)

Do you believed the world is doomed also? Talking about you know the "economy" as you put it not Wraeclast. Yes it does happen every since people are people and they make choices. You also make those choices in saying you choose not to flip.
Recruiting for Archnemesis League/Siege of the Atlas!
Umbra Exiles:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3244875
The Official Path of Exile Guild Directory:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1192567
Last edited by StDrakeX on Feb 4, 2015, 7:49:31 AM
I see where you're coming from, when I first started flipping gear I felt like a scumbag. But once you make your first 20 exalts in a single day, you begin to realize the power of flipping items. Of course, if your goal isn't to acquire lots of wealth and buy the best gear possible, that's fine too. There are plenty of ways to enjoy the game without that. But if it is, you're not getting there with honest farming, I'll tell you that much.

Overall, I disagree that it's bad for the economy. In fact, I think it's a wonderful thing for the economy. Of course there's always someone who resells for way too much, but who the hell buys from them anyway? From what I've seen, people who flip buy gear that is sold really cheaply (sometimes people just want to get rid of their stuff quickly) and resell at a fair market price or even cheaper. They want to quickly make those exalts, what's the point of the item rotting in your stash for weeks? It's a positive thing for all parties involved.
would it change the game for the good or worse if every item could only change it's owner once (currency excluded)?

1.) trading would still be possible
2.) no flipping, so gear would be much cheaper
3.) scamming would decrease because you can't borrow items to other people
4.) whealth would be distributed more equally among the player base.

juat my 2 cents, i'm not really a fan of account bound items.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info