Why did you or your friend quit playing POE?

Because they only care about getting "Rich".
I never "quit" per se, but there have been times where I leave for weeks or even months.

There comes a point, with nearly every character I make, where I realize I've hit a wall and it's just going to be too much of an uphill battle going forward. Sometimes it happens early on, sometimes it doesn't happen until I'm well into level 60+. But when I hit that wall, it's really discouraging.

The journey to that wall is also not nearly as rewarding as it could be. Oranges are way too damn rare, and getting an item with a good number of linked sockets of the right colors is too much of a gamble. Even when something amazing drops out of pure luck, I don't think "holy crap, awesome!" so much as "Well, that'll save me a few chores later on, maybe".

It simply feels more like work than it should. Stuff like slogging through the whole game three times, per character, is such an antiquated system. It was bad in Diablo II, and there was much rejoicing when Diablo III not only got rid of it, but also gave you the option to go through random dungeons from the get-go. Why do Maps have to be solely an end-game thing in PoE again?

There are lots of other problems I have with PoE as well, but I do eventually come back every time, because when the game's good it can really be something special. I'm just hoping Awakening can make PoE a game that's more consistently fun, as that's what a game should be above all else.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/sir-ninja
Last edited by SirNinja on Jul 9, 2015, 10:37:51 PM
desyn, bad trading system, no variability for skill on only one build (most people don't like rerolling a lot)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
GUYS, IM BACK. I logged in for the first time in 9 months yesterday, saw A4 is coming out today, almost pissed myself. Uninstalled dota 2, honestly f*** that game.

on topic: people quit poe, for multiple reasons, it gets boring, trading can be a headache (if your not used to it), and the time sink required to progresss. However, if you know what your doing, progressing is not nearly as hard as some people make it out to be, as long as your build works and you get the basics right you should be able to get to maps. I'm a competitive person, but it annoyed me that I couldent compete due to my own time constraints, but I learned to play softcore, and give less of a shit and just focus on progressing my own char (playing against myself).

The game is quite complex, making a good build is harder than people think and they see others faceroll content which is killing them, which gets discouraging.

Honestly, PoE is a niche game, which appeals to hardcore arpg fans like myself, it isn't a game for entitled young gamers who are used to being taken by the hand in a game and shown pricesely what to do and how to play.

Players come and go, but many old school grinders will come back to this game for a while yet.
I quit because of the RNG of finding midnights during ambush/invasion and how much I hated trading. I also burned myself out doing all the challenge leagues. I saw on reddit that the expansion is coming today, so I thought I would give it another shot.
Anarchy/Onslaught T shirt
Domination/Nemesis T shirt
Tempest/War Bands T shirt
As semi-casual player, I've never quit Path of Exile since I started playing (which was a pretty long time ago).

I might not play it for a month, or two, but I've never though "I QUIT!" or "Hell with this!" or even "I'm not playing until...". This is unusual for me. Most F2P games and more APRGs I just stop playing after a while.

I just keep coming back, because PoE keeps giving me reasons to:

1) Cool patches with cool new content.

2) Races - I love races - I'm not great at them, but I love the idea, and trying to compete and so on. It's a very interesting way to play. The rewards are well-handled, too.

3) New leagues - Even if the game doesn't change much, the chance to start over is actually really exciting!

4) True successor to D2:LOD (and it's mods). I used to regularly re-install D2, or go play it, often with mods, because I just had that urge to play that kind of game - one that other ARPGs typically failed to scratch. PoE covers that perfectly. I've not reinstalled D2 since I started playing it.

In fact it's much better than D2, because my characters, items etc. haven't disappeared because I didn't play for X days. They might have been bumped back to Standard/Hardcore, but that's fine.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info