[1.3.0] Too Many Clones! -- PvE Templar Archer Summoner

You could try Puncture for single target damage.

Puncture + Phys Projectile Attack Damage + Point Blank + Trap

I had a weapon animator that weapon swapped to a Chin Sol with this setup and it just murders stuff.
Unlimited Blade Works - Illya (Animate Weapon Ranger)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1063521
"
darkmag07 wrote:
You could try Puncture for single target damage.

Puncture + Phys Projectile Attack Damage + Point Blank + Trap

I had a weapon animator that weapon swapped to a Chin Sol with this setup and it just murders stuff.

If this were 1.2, I'd do the same thing.
Puncture in 1.3 is 4x weaker than it used to be.

That being said, it is the enemies that constantly run away that give me problems, so there is some merit to Puncture there. Aside from that, with no IPD, trap damage, or otherwise, it feels like it would not use the build's strength.

Holding out hope for weapon swap SRS, won't be able to test until a while from now (after I get gear together and level the gems).
Last edited by pneuma on Dec 17, 2014, 5:10:45 PM
Great minds think alike! Love that we both made similar builds. good on you man.

One thing though, I've noticed in my testing that generosity removed the aura effect from my clones. i will test again to verify, but you may want to look at that

edit: i added a link to your build in mine in case people want to try templar version!
Last edited by Naeblis720 on Dec 17, 2014, 6:56:41 PM
I'll update OP with a link to your Ranger version. It's got better gear and a good video, so it should hopefully convince more people to try this crazy stuff out.

---

I tested in Normal Coast that generosity auras 100% affect your minions.

I went out with only a white bow and no elemental damage anywhere other than the Generosity auras. My minions were able to light things on fire and shock them on crit, and every hit showed the "elemental damage" effect (normally a little white or blue blip animation on the enemy, and only if the elemental damage is over some percentage of the total damage dealt/enemy life).

Since there was no other way for them to be doing elemental effects without the auras, it seems proven to me.
Last edited by pneuma on Dec 17, 2014, 7:06:31 PM
"
pneuma wrote:
I'll update OP with a link to your Ranger version. It's got better gear and a good video, so it should hopefully convince more people to try this crazy stuff out.

---

I tested in Normal Coast that generosity auras 100% affect your minions.

I went out with only a white bow and no elemental damage anywhere other than the Generosity auras. My minions were able to light things on fire and shock them on crit, and every hit showed the "elemental damage" effect (normally a little white or blue blip animation on the enemy, and only if the elemental damage is over some percentage of the total damage dealt/enemy life).

Since there was no other way for them to be doing elemental effects without the auras, it seems proven to me.

You are absolutely correct! my bad! hahaha. and thanks!
Alright, hit 75 and got to play with a lot of the supporting options to figure out which felt best.

- Flesh Offering is a must-have. Large damage increase, long duration, clears corpses.
- Convocation is a must-have. Situational repositioning is very powerful, especially with pierce.
- (Mobility) Blink Arrow is a must-have. Can't believe I went without a mobility skill for so long.
- Projectile Weakness is good for killing rare mobs, pierce, knockback.
- SRS is good for killing map bosses that don't summon adds or drop white items or corpses.
- Zombies suck. The character has no cast speed and they're not worth the effort.
- Animate Weapon sucks. Same problem as zombies -- just takes too long to summon them up for small gain.

The battle plan has started to settle.
I run ahead and throw in some clone traps, one to two throws of each of Blink/Mirror.
I (mobility) Blink Arrow to some safe spot and spam Convocation.
I Convocation as soon as I land, bringing all the minions back to me.
I Offering to get their damage boosted.

The end result is that I have a tight squadron of clones that are piercing directly across the whole mob pile. If there's a boss in there, I'll projectile weakness it. I sit for a small time to let the clones do their work and to evaluate the situation. The moment doesn't last long, then I start throwing more traps almost immediately to set up to reposition again if there are enemies left, else move onto the next area.

If by some miracle something survived, it's very likely a unique boss or really tough rare. Then I weapon swap to caster gear (specifically something with large cast speed) and start mass summoning SRS to quickly dispatch the remainder enemy.

---

This puts my 2-4Ls for "utility" as:
SRS linkage: SRS + Echo + MStrike + FA/MinionDamage
Utility linkage: Blink + Convoc + FOffering + ProjWeak

I can move the SRS linkage to my weapon swap in the future once I get a +fire/cspd staff.
Once I do that, I'll have a 4L open again.

I'm virtually out of keybinds, so the 4L would probably go toward getting a third aura into the build (esp. with an Alpha's Howl). Clarity at first, just to ease mana problems, then later either Hatred or Haste.
Last edited by pneuma on Dec 18, 2014, 4:43:07 AM
Hi, first of all, awesome build, i too wanted to have an army of clones as soon as i read the skill description.

Here is my take on the tree, ranger version because as first character in the league i have access to the gems as rewards. My link setup will be:

Deerstalker (so the trap support included as 5th link): mirror arrow + multitraps + minion damage + LMP

this setup will have more AoE, i'll then have blink arrow in the chest/bow with WED instead of LMP for more single target damage.

Helm with both auras as you stated, eventually haste with alpha's howl

gloves with flesh offering, blink arrow, vaal haste, increased duration
my buffs

Bow/chest with rain of arrows + curse on hit + temp chains + projectile weakness
for damage and obvious cursing

i'm playing this build on bloodlines and so far i didn't have a close call yet, the start is a bit harsh without damage nodes but as soon as you get multitrap you start rolling!

Edit: with the high number of shots per second it seems like the newly added quiver could shine, also providing a nice layer of defence:
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Maloney%27s_Nightfall
Last edited by Galmir_IT on Dec 19, 2014, 10:31:50 AM
+1 to the deerstalker linkage. Personally I prefer 2-4Ls (blink and mirror) over 1-5L (mirror and miniondamage) since even with 6 traps on hand (3blink, 3mirror), I find myself waiting on cooldown during really big fights.

+1 offering, blink, vhaste, and duration for the utility linkage. If you haven't tried out convocation, drop it in an unset ring if at all possible. It's amazingly strong in the right circumstances (namely alongside pierce).

+1 dual curse roa. I would probably go eleweak/projweak since, by and large, I never have survivability problems if I'm playing correctly. Clones are just way too good for defense since it tricks enemy aggro so hard.

Not sure if it's worth dropping Generosity to fit the third aura in the helm. Generosity is ~40% aura effectiveness which, for both Wrath/Anger, will likely add more damage than Hatred by itself. (Not that I can test this until I get an Alpha's, though.)

---

Maloney would be pretty good for defense and not half bad for offense either with two flat damage sources, aspd, and the bonus against blinded.

Drillneck still seems the obvious BiS quiver, or failing that, a rare with flat/wed/aspd/cc.

---

Yeah, the damage is weak until you get both damage auras up, then again until you get a fairly strong bow and some minion damage nodes.

It's really picked up for me now, though, and I can mindlessly farm 66-69 maps. Once I get a few more levels on Wrath/Anger (currently only 17 with no bonuses) and once I finish grabbing the minion damage out of the +1 spectre cluster up north, I should be able to move up map tiers into the 70-74 range comfortably and with good clear speed.

Another fun thing is that, being a summoner, it's very easy to alch-and-go on maps. Elereflect? Physreflect? 50% regen? Shocking ground? Multiprojectiles? None of these scare me like they would on any other character. -max/eleweak still gives me the fear of god, but by and large I can run 90% of the maps I alch with no issue.
Last edited by pneuma on Dec 19, 2014, 3:43:29 PM
I didn't want to remove one of the 2 summon arrow, is just that deerstalker is a easier way to reach 5 links, the other one would be placed in the chest or bow.

I don't have convocation, but i assume you noticed how far the clones shoot, you don't really nerd to regroup your army, also because they don't last top much.

For generosity, is just that i don't have it yet as my first character in the new league, same for drillneck, is out of my currency budget.
Last edited by Galmir_IT on Dec 19, 2014, 5:54:14 PM
You mentioned you were having trouble holding down targets that move around like ghosts / fast bosses?
I've been playing around with these skills and i find that 1 vaal rain of arrow is enough time to hold the target down for the minions to take care of them

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info