[2.1] Dual Apep's Chaos Crit - Stapling Chaos to a Level 1 Spell (Draft Spark Totem tree up)

Alright, some comments on initial testing of the Hungry Abyss jewel. Do note that the description is very vague, so it took all my currency and a good amount of testing to narrow down what the jewel actually did.

Basically, it converts different types of spell leech into chaos spell leech. This is very important, because what this means is that you cannot use stuff like Carnage Heart and Life leech mods on amulets/gloves with this jewel if you are using a spell, it will not work.

Now, some comments.

- The requirements of equipping 5 corrupted items is a lot harder than I originally thought, because it DOES NOT include gems. You have to wear corrupted gear on 5/10 of your slots.

- What are the options of spell leech? I can only think of corrupted mods on Wands and Amulets, Catarina's mod and Doryani's Invitation. Do we have other options?

- This is rather awkward to make use of, because we cannot use Catarina's mod if we want to keep using Apep's. We can hope for a lucky corruption on an Apep's Rage to give 1%, but outside of that we'd need a corrupted Amulet with 1% there and a Doryani's Invitation for 1%, totalling 3%. Is that enough to ignore a life leech gem?

I will do more testing as I can!

@Hrishi

Oh, that is a bummer. Thanks for doing the hard work ;)
"
Hrishi wrote:
Alright, some comments on initial testing of the Hungry Abyss jewel. Do note that the description is very vague, so it took all my currency and a good amount of testing to narrow down what the jewel actually did.

Basically, it converts different types of spell leech into chaos spell leech. This is very important, because what this means is that you cannot use stuff like Carnage Heart and Life leech mods on amulets/gloves with this jewel if you are using a spell, it will not work.

Now, some comments.

- The requirements of equipping 5 corrupted items is a lot harder than I originally thought, because it DOES NOT include gems. You have to wear corrupted gear on 5/10 of your slots.

- What are the options of spell leech? I can only think of corrupted mods on Wands and Amulets, Catarina's mod and Doryani's Invitation. Do we have other options?

- This is rather awkward to make use of, because we cannot use Catarina's mod if we want to keep using Apep's. We can hope for a lucky corruption on an Apep's Rage to give 1%, but outside of that we'd need a corrupted Amulet with 1% there and a Doryani's Invitation for 1%, totalling 3%. Is that enough to ignore a life leech gem?

I will do more testing as I can!

Does Hungry Abyss apply to a Life Leech gem when linked to your spell?

Gem combo could be Main Spell > Added Chaos > Spell Echo > Faster Casting > Life Leech > ICD
IGN: Standard League - Dark_Captain
Last edited by lDantonl on May 7, 2015, 10:38:21 AM
Sure, but at that point your spell already has leech due to the life leech gem, so using Hungry Abyss is pointless.
I think he was wondering if it makes the life leech gem not work with cold, for example. Does override mean replace?

Thanks for testing this BTW.
Doomed for Life
"
Hrishi wrote:
Sure, but at that point your spell already has leech due to the life leech gem, so using Hungry Abyss is pointless.

of course.. lol my bad.

Thanks though.
IGN: Standard League - Dark_Captain
Busy with work, so apologies!

"
SirDragos wrote:
I think he was wondering if it makes the life leech gem not work with cold, for example. Does override mean replace?

Thanks for testing this BTW.

Yes, override does mean replace. You cannot leech with other forms of damage as far as I tried.

Additionally, Fevered Mind has now been nerfed to 20-30% increased spell damage, down from 40%.

Overall, I can see Hungry Abyss being incredibly useful, but it would HAVE to either be used without Apep's Rage unless you get incredibly lucky with your corrupts. I am not sure how viable that can be since base damage does come from that Wand. However, it does free up a link. Additionally, if we have any other forms of spell leech, the Jewel gets better and better. You would also need to get an Amulet corruption and a Doryani's Invitation, and even then you get about 3-4% life leech. Is that sufficient?

Another gem that has a lot of potential is Eldritch Knowledge. I found 2 spots on the tree with plenty of INT nodes and was able to squeeze ~40% increased Chaos Damage from each jewel. An extra 100% is nothing to laugh at. The jewel was inferior to Fevered Mind, but with the nerf, I believe that it is superior in this build.

Weight of Sin seems not worth getting. Jewel sockets typically take 2-3 points to get to. I'm not sure if just 18% increased chaos damage is worth that point investment. Thoughts?

Am I missing anything else? Let me know if you have any thoughts on what I could try out, but remember that acquiring random uniques can be a bit of a pain.
Last edited by Hrishi on May 9, 2015, 1:20:07 PM
@Hrishi

This is really helpful.

I think Hungry Abyss is probably still worth pursuing. The amount of damage that you can do with a build like this is kind of huge, so 3-4% leech is probably enough. I've run a similar build with Warlord's Mark as the only leech and it worked pretty well; just was a little unreliable for surprises in combat where the curse was too late. It would be also interesting to try seeing if Berek's Grip can help bridge the gap. Obviously, this would not be something I'm advocating you try to test in Beta, but it would bear looking into with a GC or especially Ice Spear spell base after release. I'll probably be actively corrupting Apep's in Standard to try this out; unfortunately I've never seen an Apep's with a leech corruption. However, the upside of getting two of those is that you have two corrupted items equipped already!

I really like Eldritch Knowledge and I think that it will be the new go-to damage gem for this build. Weight of Sin needs a big buff; it's drawback is not so bad if you are warping around, but it is not enough to justify the slot at all. Fevered Mind seems like it has dropped in usefulness a ton post-nerf. It still holds enough value that I could see it being okay, but I'll really need to see the final tree. I can't imagine going out of my way to use it, and the convenient slots will be mostly taken up with Eldritch Knowledges and one for Hungry Abyss. If jewels get spell life leech back, we'll need slots for that too to combo with HA.

If you can get them, something else I'd like to see tested for this build is Chill of Corruption and Vaal Sentencing:

With this build, you can set up a Vaal Storm Call linked to Added Chaos, Echo and Duration (or whatever) with Herald of Ice active. Two things I'd like to know: How reliable is the HoI shatter in maps considering that the VSC is shocking for sure and the rest of the build cranks the crit so high? Do you get extra Vaal souls from Vaal Sentencing when your allies shatter the corpses too?
Doomed for Life
Last edited by SirDragos on May 10, 2015, 5:35:05 PM
So I couldn't acquire one to test myself, but I was told that it does apply when your allies shatter too. Take that as you will because I did not test it myself to confirm.

Secondly, I do think it's worth testing other spells with Chaos damage stapled onto it. Glacial Cascade is one of the most popular and effective skills on the beta and I'd be very surprised if it made it to release in this state, being leaps and bounds ahead of the pack. I want to see if Flame Surge has any potential but the AoE is so goddamn tiny that it's so annoying to play with. Tendrils was always decent. Maybe Flame Totem has potential.
Last edited by Hrishi on May 11, 2015, 10:21:55 PM
Thanks for the note about Chill of Corruption. Even unconfirmed info is useful.

Something that I mentioned earlier in the thread: Flame Surge would be pretty awesome, especially with RF. Both RF and surge get bonuses from AoE in the tree, so there's that. Also, doing Three Dragons with FS might be great, but you'd need to use RF, Fire Trap, or a cold spell to ignite. Seems worth playing with. I just kinda hate FS AoE, like you said.

Ice Spear is a thing with this build, but I've talked extensively about that.

Tendrils is fine, but the AoE I think got nerfed and the spell factors like crit and effectiveness/cast are only okay.

Flame Totem seems sketchy. They did not nerf the damage effectiveness like they did for Incinerate, but the crit is only 4%. I'd say it's likey worse than tendrils, but the upside is that you could use two. I'm wary of even the 5% crit spells, so going down to 4% seems really weak. The biggest problem is that you'd have to level the gem due to totem life scaling; this makes it more like the old incinerate than the old FP build as there are no longer cheap costs.

A better totem idea would be to try crit spark totems. On the surface, spark is not great with a less than 1.0 effectiveness/cast time ratio (.5 effectiveness, .65 cast), but the duration on the sparks seems worth looking into, especially with the new pierce jewel and using pierce in the tree to potentially avoid the use of a gem. Not to mention the extra projectiles jewel; I think that the reduced damage is totally worth it. You need the spell totem gem, which is a huge downside, but I do really like that you can scale with totem damage in the tree. This build is hard to scale and that really helps. Doing low life would be much easier on a totem build too (once it hits the live servers).

Fireball?
Doomed for Life
Last edited by SirDragos on May 12, 2015, 12:49:35 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info