anyone else play grim dawn?

"
鬼殺し wrote:
Oh yeah, I know you're the resident GD guru. And that's pretty cool.

So MIs are an evolution of green items in Titan Quest then. A bit more flavour and personality.

ooooor not. LOL.

http://titanquest.wikia.com/wiki/Monster-specific_items

Grim Dawn is the spiritual successor to Titan Quest. I may had sounded like it was supposed to be a new thing, but it is not. At least Grim Dawn improved in some areas from where Titan Quest lacked for me. :P

Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Jul 25, 2017, 3:16:41 AM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
More than spiritual I'd say, given how many beloved TQ systems are in GD.

I'm probably too stubborn here; I like TQ's barebones system for a quick ARPG romp here and there over GD's extensive crafting/devotion/faction favour complexity.

Arthur Bruno did bought the license to use the engine that was used for TQ. :P

A good portion of the TQ players (A good portion of the posters that joined GD forum in like early 2010 came from the TQ forum, especially some of the modders) wanted more out of Grim Dawn, so they threw all their suggestions to Crate devs before, during the kickstater, and after. For what Grim Dawn is at the moment, is what the GD community wanted. After the expansion comes, Crate is focusing on either another expansion, GD2, or something else entirely different. They mentioned they are not done developing as Crate Entertainment.

Grim Dawn is a slightly less complicated version of PoE, but without the crazy RNG and economy-driven stuff. Is it a perfect game, no, but I find it the next best diablo type game to fall back too when I feel burned out from PoE. :3
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Jul 25, 2017, 4:08:42 AM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I want it to be that for me too but like I said, something's a bit off for me. I really think it's down to the fact that it feels so much like Titan Quest, which I can and do play on tablet, that I'd rather be playing that on the couch or in bed rather than GD at the PC, where I can be playing PoE or (for now) Wolcen.

Your knowledge on the matter is valued though! I knew the makers of TQ worked on GD, obviously, but I'm pretty fuzzy on how it went from Ironlore to THQ to Crate. I get the feeling it wasn't pretty.

Oh, and if I could have any wish right now it'd be Immortal Throne added to my android dotemu version of TQ. Dream's broken as shit but I really want that shared stash/caravan. So many great drops go to waste without one...

It is what it is. I hope you have the chance to at least playthrough the normal diffculty of Grim Dawn (might end up finishing act 4 at early 40s in level) to get a better feel of the game, but act one already gots you like not wanting to proceed further because the reasons you mentioned. :\
- raics, 06.08.2016

I am actually starting to like GD more than PoE lately, I dunno what it is but I guess it has to do with no desync and it being a single player game, while in PoE I have to care about lag and desync as I live in place with bad ping in all of gateway, its been almost a week I last played PoE in terms of killing monsters, I logged in just to check how my guild was doing in PoE.
Last edited by Puraime on Jul 25, 2017, 8:15:46 AM
I played some Grim Dawn, but I found it boring later. I dunno, the boss encounters aren't as interesting as PoE's, and it's combat doesn't feel like there's enough "oomph" in it.

Could also be because I'm not really a fan of its art design either.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Okay, so I killed Crnmley.

I've decided to load up GD whenever Wolcen crashes. Which is sadly a lot. LOL.

I dislike the graininess of Grim Drawn. Is that the word for it? Everything looks a bit too pixelated and rough around the edges.

Also, I just realised part of how they saved on disk space. The merchants all say the same thing!

HUH, apparently I am mid act-2. Way to clarify things, Crate.

Cronley is the main boss of act 2 (normally you have the main boss at the end of an act, but just this act breaks it), but act 2 can be confusing for first time players on how it ends. The transition from act 2 to act 3 may not seem obvious, but act 2 ends the moment you leave Smuggler's Pass and act 3 starts the moment you talk to Ulgrim in Deadman's Gulch (telling you to go to X place) and enter Mountain's Deeps (I really like the scenery of the area and the inhabitants there, so enjoy that part when you get there :P ).

Act 3 and act 4 (especially the last act currently will be obvious on how it ends) will not have the weird transition.

- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Jul 26, 2017, 1:38:43 AM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I can't help but feel all this lack of monster-fighting (a human as an act boss is quite rare in an ARPG) is a deliberate backlash to the restrictions put on the original Titan Quest team. I read in an interview, you may have actually linked at here at some point, that the devs of TQ were forced to remove any sort of human enemy, especially talking ones.

I was not sure I was aware about that, but all I know is that there will be human enemies commenting time after time about wanting to kill you. :P
- raics, 06.08.2016

I have gotten pretty far, but there is just something that is not working for me as well. Not sure what. I want to like the game, but ...
Censored.
"
kolyaboo wrote:
I have gotten pretty far, but there is just something that is not working for me as well. Not sure what. I want to like the game, but ...

yeah for me it was that every build felt weak
I dont see any any key!
"
k1rage wrote:
"
kolyaboo wrote:

yeah for me it was that every build felt weak

It is like PoE, you got to find synergy in the build you are trying to make, find the gears that will make the synergy go crazy, and make sure you still have room to make your build not full blown glass cannon that just a sneeze in ultimate difficulty kills you.

I was able to make a build that is semi glass cannon but melts everything before me. Can get a bit laggy if the all the attack effects take place while there are a lot of mobs, but other than that, I love the carnage. I have also made a very very tanky character that is only slightly vulnerable to one type of damage and the rest will barely feel it. The build has a decent amount of HP (over 15k HP with a decent amount of HP regen and like over 80% block chance (which absorbs a good chunk of damage either way)). The damage output is ok in ultimate diffculty, but I run a debuff to make the damage output a bit better, but I mostly rely on my character just tanking it all.

Then there are other builds I have that are bit more tanky, but deals a bit less damage.

Edit: I do not think Grim Dawn will reach the popularity and media attention that PoE receives, but when it comes to enjoying the game, I find Grim Dawn pretty much up there with PoE.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Jul 27, 2017, 1:26:18 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info