anyone else play grim dawn?

"
morbo wrote:

- hard to notice your life bar, with just the corner of your eye, like you can do with health globes in PoE or D3. Sometimes I just die, cause I dont notice my life is lowering.

You can increase/decrease life/mana bars in size, you know? Make it bigger, it may help in this aspect.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Jul 18, 2016, 5:42:15 AM
"
torturo wrote:
You can increase/decrease life/mana bars in size, you know? Make it bigger, it may help in this aspect.

Yea, I know, but it doesn't help that much, without making the whole GUI too big. It's more a problem of form (the life bar is horizontal & embeded inside a whole lot of other clutter) and color (watered down red). Globes in PoE & D3 stand out much better.

Could the GUI be changed with modding tools? But it's not a huge issue, just nitpicking.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Jul 18, 2016, 8:15:30 AM
yeah ... stash space in grim dawn is a bit archaic since you just make mule characters to get around it. the whole effort is annoying similar to d2 stash issues over a decade ago.

the game could do with an infinite stash or atleast one several times larger than what we have now.

as for the life bar . i think it is more a symptom of how rippy the game is. in a sense it is not as extreme as poe rips but on the other hand it is more consistently present.

if you let a few hits in from pretty much anything and your hp pool is gone. miss time an aoe .. get too close .. fail to kite . dont time a defense and your hp pool gets gibbed.
There are mods with stash greatly increased for all interested.

Developers have categorically denied claims of a bigger stash, numerous times. From straight "no" to discussions and explanations of their PoV.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
I completely scrapped AAR, and decided to go with a Callidor's Tempest build. Took out Fabius a little while ago. Its not my best Fabius fight, but its the one I recorded. I've killed him at least 10-15 secs quicker before.

The reason I was fucked with AAR, was because I had to invest in devotions that boosted energy regen, which meant that I couldn't grab more defenses from the devotion tree which were desperately needed to survive fights like this. Literally the difference between getting killed in 2 secs and winning. You literally gotta be able to face tank some of these fights to be able to win them, because in Grim Dawn, builds that have to kite don't have the DPS to make up for not being able to stand still and unload all their DPS all the time. Fabius is just one of those fights, you either tank him, or go home. You might be able to take him out in 5-7 minutes of kiting, if you don't make a single mistake and he doesn't slip a oneshot critterino in on you. But that's not really my definition of a winnable fight. That's called dragging it out and hoping you get lucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT2BP6xrvFs
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Jul 20, 2016, 6:33:34 AM
"
Saltychipmunk wrote:
yeah ... stash space in grim dawn is a bit archaic since you just make mule characters to get around it. the whole effort is annoying similar to d2 stash issues over a decade ago.

I agree, but there is a stash mod you can download here:

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23414

"

as for the life bar . i think it is more a symptom of how rippy the game is. in a sense it is not as extreme as poe rips but on the other hand it is more consistently present.

Mobs hit way harder in Grim Dawn compared to PoE. There is even yummy reflect goodness in Grim Dawn. Yes that one trash mob that has Mirror of Ereoctes up when you lob your nuke in the pile can blast your HP bar away in an instant. If a couple of trash mobs like boars get a good running charge in, they can have a shotgun effect, and there goes your HP bar, etc.

"

if you let a few hits in from pretty much anything and your hp pool is gone. miss time an aoe .. get too close .. fail to kite . dont time a defense and your hp pool gets gibbed.

Glass cannons simply don't work in Grim Dawn. The game is designed to shatter Glass Cannon builds completely, and mercilessly. To the point where they're not viable. Regardless of what type of build you're running you need to get HP/resists, etc from gear, and/or get it from the devotion tree. There are devotion abilities like Giant's Blood, and Healing Rain that you can combine on any build to give it good survivability.

What I personally consider the difference between a "glass cannon" and not, in Ultimate difficulty, level 85 would be 10k+ HP, 2000+ DA, 1200+ armor, solid resists, a little bit of physical resist, a couple circut breaker (activates and heals you or gives you a massive buff when below 30% HP) and/or healing moves from the devotion tree like Giant's Blood & Healing Rain.

Some CC abilities like Flashbang + searing light, and blast shield from the Demolitionist tree help a lot, as does mirror of ereoctes (3 secs of invincibility) and Maiven's sphere from Arcanist, etc. Skills like Olexra's Flash Freeze at higher levels can freeze everything on the screen, most trash mobs, heroes, and even some bosses can be frozen. Skills like Wendigo Totem pump HP to your character at 0.5 sec intervals. You can get like 5% HP + 500 every 0.5 secs from Wendigo totem. You gotta use some of this stuff to survive. These aren't optional skills in Grim Dawn. You need some combination of this stuff, or be prepared to git rekt.
Haven't played GD for a long while since Early Access any recommended Easy Builds you can run to cheese through the content? Kinda interested for the story for it mainly atm.
Just another Forum Signature in a Sea of Signatures.
"
Haven't played GD for a long while since Early Access any recommended Easy Builds you can run to cheese through the content? Kinda interested for the story for it mainly atm.

If your aim is just a story playthrough on Normal, I guess any builds will do. Just pick a playstyle that you like. I'd say go something ranged with Arcanist / Demolitionist / Occultist + another class for defensive options

---
I specced out my AAR Sorceress too, using Panetti's missiles now with Devastation. Aether / fire / lightning damage. Pretty smooth build with fast clearing, just entered Ultimate at lvl 68. The Log fight was a breeze, compared to the previous experience with 2H melee guy. Didnt even rip once :) Devastation is quite powerful, esp. maxed with +3 in Arcanist gear I have currently.

Offense: Panetti's MM, Devastation, Haunt (from Warpfire dagger)
Defense: Flashbang, Olexra's Flash Freeze, Mirror of Ereoctes, Maiven's Sphere

The build might be better as Spellbreaker tho, for more defense with Veil of Shadow & Pneumatic burst. Ultimate will be rippy...
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Jul 20, 2016, 4:07:28 PM
The drop rates are fine in Grim Dawn. Considering its intended to be single player & self found. But I've only found 2 pieces to the Deathmarked set, and ZERO pieces to Ultos' set, and most of the super meta builds are using one of those 2 sets. Little over 400 hours in the game. Now I could hack like 95% of the people with characters using those sets do, but I've actually refrained from doing that.

A self found model could work similar in PoE. It would still take hundreds of hours to accumulate end game viable gear for a few builds, and still not be BiS. Most players who trade heavily in PoE can do that considerably faster. The problem is, I don't like trading. I like killing stuff and seeing cool stuff drop. And I don't want my drop rates nerfed to compensate for trading. My point is self found would be more work even if drop rates in PoE were considerably better than they are now. All of this are the reasons I'm playing Grim Dawn atm instead of PoE.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Jul 22, 2016, 4:03:16 AM
Been enjoying playing multiplayer for magic farm runs. Nice break from single player and have met a solid group of players.
There is the occasional cheater with hacked items lurking but they can be kicked from game with a simple mouse click.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info