Vaal Fragment Changes in 1.2.4d

+1 GGG

This suggestion was going around even before SotV released. It took some time, but yeah... we all know it makes sense.

Let no Courtyard map be run uncorrupted! :)
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
muhomorov wrote:
7 Vaal Skill Gems + 1 Vaal fragment = Vaal Orb...

No buffs needed. Quit whining or quit the game. Jeez....

and then with your 1 vaal orb you can vaal a map and get a chance to get 1 of the 8 pieces required to make another vaal orb while risking either your entire hardcore character or 10 exalts+ of maps/rolling xp on a stupid 8 prop map that is as likely to brick mapdrop wise as running a 2 property blue map in practical terms. Ya the system totally works man I don't understand why people are just looking at this change and laughing at how stupid it is.
Never cared about Atziri, never will, I'll still be 'farming' fragments and sell them to boring build Atziri runners, if I need currency and I don't think this change will change the price ;)
"
Ael00 wrote:

How long will it take for you to realize WE DON'T WANT TO RUN LOW ZONES TO GET ACCESS TO END GAME.

schizophrenic? if yes, i'm sorry but how many chars you see?

"
Ael00 wrote:
Being constantly punished for something you achieved (high lvl - if you can call lvl 80 even that) is NOT FUN or LOGICAL.

there's a trading window where you can buy the sets from midgame players who will gladly sell it to you for some high level gear you found.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Really looking forward to this change!

Might actually run out of Vaal orbs!
"
We'll be releasing 1.2.4d later this week, which is a small update containing a change to how Vaal Fragments are obtained. Today's news post explains the reasoning behind the change.

Four different Vaal Fragments are needed to gain access to the Apex of Sacrifice, where Atziri can be found. These Fragments are tiered in rarity - some are more likely to drop than others. Initially they were only available from Corrupted Side Areas, which were relatively common in the Sacrifice of the Vaal expansion.

As Atziri's power grew throughout the SotV expansion, we frequently increased how often Side Areas were spawned, made Fragments drop more often and biased Fragment drops towards the rarer ones. These changes gradually made the Atziri content accessible to more players.

It was intentional that Vaal Fragments didn't drop in the existing end-game (or from bosses people already run like Piety or Dominus), because we designed the content to be an alternative end-game activity.

Running low level content is not an alternative activity. It's either not even considered or it's a boring chore.

"
If we had them drop while players were running regular maps then they'd merely stockpile them and occasionally get some free Atziri runs out of their existing play.

And that's bad, how? WTF am I reading, Chris?

"
We want players to have several options of how to spend their time.

Running Atziri and uber Atziri with fragment drops from your normal end game content would have been 'options of how to spend your time'. Flipping docks? Not so much an option.

"
When Forsaken Masters was released and SotV was no longer the main expansion, we toned down the spawn rate of Corrupted Areas and increased the chance that they dropped Fragments. This made Vaal Skills a bit rarer, which was pleasing to us. Many players continued to greatly enjoy the challenge that the Atziri content offered, and continued to farm Fragments.

The problem is that as this process is bottlenecked by finding a lot of corrupted areas, the most effective ways to maximise Fragments per hour involve activities that are at best boring and at worst exploitative. We needed to find a more fun way to complete Fragment sets.

While spare Fragments did already provide a bonus to the item quantity of Maps, that wasn't of interest to our dedicated Atziri-runners. We added the ability to turn unwanted Fragments into new high-level corrupted areas, so that they could be rerolled until they turned into either a better fragment or a Vaal Skill Gem. This helped a bit, but players still wanted a way to get fresh Fragments that didn't involve running into corrupted areas naturally.

We didn't want to increase the spawn rate of Corrupted Areas (as we have to manage the amount of complex distractions that players run into while playing), and we didn't want to make Fragments drop from existing end-game activities that players already performed. We also wanted to tie the new way of getting Vaal Fragments into something Vaal-themed.

In update 1.2.4d, bosses of corrupted Maps have a high chance to drop a Vaal Fragment or Vaal Skill Gem. This change works extremely well in testing. It encourages people to play corrupted Maps which are a lot more random and fun due to their crazy eight mods or through being unidentified. It also makes the dual-boss Map mod a lot more exciting.

Then I hope Vaal Orbs drop rate is being increased 10 fold, or more. I barely find enough to keep up with Vaaling Gems levelling in 6 socket swap weapon. (fyi, that usually consists of 1 Empower and 1 Enhance both levelled without quality, and 4 gems levelled to 20 twice).

Having CZs spawn in maps is just too 'what the players want' to implement, I suppose.
That and it won't depend on the damned game restricting economy.

WTB Vaal Orbs, the new meta. FacePalm

And half the server are still flipping docks to do the Vaal Orb recipe. DoubleFacePalm.

You guys have an absolutely amazing ability to fuck up good ideas with bad implementation
Casually casual.

Last edited by TheAnuhart on Nov 10, 2014, 4:42:08 AM
Can you get vaaled maps by putting a Vaal orb on a cartographers Strongbox. A kind of vaalplosion...
The fun thing is that is not even 100% chance to drop. That's not really the way to go.
"The exodus of humanity in search of a new home? It is like spreading a virus in the healthy space."
"
TheAnuhart wrote:

You guys have an absolutely amazing ability to fuck up good ideas with bad implementation

It's weird that they acknowledge

"
The problem is that as this process is bottlenecked by finding a lot of corrupted areas, the most effective ways to maximise Fragments per hour involve activities that are at best boring and at worst exploitative. We needed to find a more fun way to complete Fragment sets.

and don't realize that

"
The problem is that as this process is bottlenecked by finding a lot of Master spawns, the most effective ways to maximise reputation per hour involve activities that are at best boring and at worst exploitative. We needed to find a more fun way to level Masters.

Both of these systems fall prey to the combination of a random zone event and a unique progression axis. So you take content that was supposed to be carefully distributed, so as not to get boring, and then create systems that promote bludgeoning yourself to death with that content.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
muhomorov wrote:
7 Vaal Skill Gems + 1 Vaal fragment = Vaal Orb...

No buffs needed. Quit whining or quit the game. Jeez....

and then with your 1 vaal orb you can vaal a map and get a chance to get 1 of the 8 pieces required to make another vaal orb while risking either your entire hardcore character or 10 exalts+ of maps/rolling xp on a stupid 8 prop map that is as likely to brick mapdrop wise as running a 2 property blue map in practical terms. Ya the system totally works man I don't understand why people are just looking at this change and laughing at how stupid it is.

This.

Seems like this change is only for bored 100 lvl character owners on SC.

I play maps to gain not loose exp and nowadays it seems, that map drop is reverse proportional to map IIQ, because virtually only going blue ~30% IIQ or rare ~60-80% IIQ maps I have more maps that time to run them.

So not much point in corrupting maps, unless you are really bored.

But heck, it was not a big change from coding point of few, let's them enjoy it.
Anticipation slowly dissipates...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info