[2.1] Whaitiri's Blood Magic Cold Snapper

@malboro_urchin: That +2 minion helmet idea can work if you got no 5L, and mentioning it also reminded me i forgot Empower in the golem setup, which is of course way better than Culling Strike.

I did not test Rime Gaze directly, but i suppose the additional link would outperform the +1 cold gems in a 4l taryns.

@agustinaakk: That's interesting, always good to see people trying out things :)
twitch.tv/enki91
I've been trying out the Ice and Chaos Golems. I had the Ice Golem in a 4L with Fortify, Minion Life, and Minion Damage. It sucked. Damage was negligible at best. The gem was a bit underleveled though, as I bought it from a vendor. I should try it again with an on-level gem.

I've had much more success with Summon Chaos Golem->Fortify->Minion Life->Blind. The thing currently has ~13k life, per the tooltip, and does a pretty good job of taking aggro. He's not always the center of mob attention, but he certainly gives me a chance or two during bossfights to just stand there and cast. I do have to recast him, but not nearly as frequently as I had to with the Ice Golem, who had half the health. If I had a 5L for my Chaos Golem, I'd have Minion Speed as the fifth link, as more attacks = more blinding.

My damage output is okay, I think. It kills packs in 2, maybe 3 casts. Certain rares also fold very easily, but others, and pretty much all bosses, take a while to kill. This is my current Cold Snap setup (char is lv 66-67):

It gets me ~3900 damage per snap, at 1.39 casts/sec that comes out to 5400 dps.

Current tree at lv 66. I have almost 3k life and 1.3k ES with Discipline (950 ES without). Planning on getting Arcane Focus next, possibly Faith & Steel after that, and I"m considering Practical Application, cause I have been getting stunned more often than I'd like.

I still have yet to try out Rime Gaze, hopefully I can make up for my current helm's life & res with some gear upgrades. I'd like to see how Taryn's increase in base damage (+1 to gem lvl) stacks up against Rime Gaze's pseudo-5L & 30% inc cold damage.
thx for build)) its so cool))
Updated the build & overall write up of this guide. Most changes were made to the gem setup, which feels well balanced now. There was also a minor change to gearing by using Asenath's Gentle Touch.

No changes have been made to the passive tree, if you were following this build you don't have to respec anything.
twitch.tv/enki91
Last edited by Enki91 on Aug 28, 2015, 5:30:02 PM
I enjoyed working on this build. It is solid; not as fast clearing as some other builds I've seen but fast and (this is very important) safe.

I have one suggestion; it might have been made before.

One unique item that might work for this build is Geoffry's Great Crown.
The pros for this helm?
+1 to all slotted gems. That's a huge buff to this build, it gives better DPS for Cold Snap than a 5 link at a very reasonable cost. In addition it has decent resists, including chaos resists.
The cons?
The helm is armor and energy shield. For this build a pure energy shield helm would probably be preferable.

What are your feelings about this?

Joe
@JBN001: Thanks, glad you enjoy this build and hopefully also the newest update! :)

Geofri's Crest, aswell as Rime Gaze can be good budget options, but eventually yoiu will want to upgrade to a good ES + Life helmet. I'll put a mention about them both in the gear section.
twitch.tv/enki91
I've started playing this build before the author updated it. Luckily I had a bit of psychic powers, so I leveled with Glacial Cascade :)

I recently hit level 60 and equiped Romira's and oh boy I had fun. I used Cold Snap as secondary leveling skill and I saw the potential all the time. While not the most effective skill, it sure is fun. I've been playing in party with my friend, who uses melee character, so I have at least some sort of meat shield between me and enemies.

Personally I've incorporated elements of old and updated build. I use Flame Dash as movement skill, because I feel Lighting Warp is quite unreliable skill. Sometimes warping doesn't work and it is quite slow, unless you have lots of quality in it, which I don't have.

I also buffed my Flame Golem with Minion Damage and Minion Life. I presonally feel that Golem can be quite valuable extra damage sometimes and extra life means that I don't have to be summoning it all the time.

I settled with old aura setup, four sockets with two two links. I use Clarity and Discipline on other sockets and Herald of Ice with Ice Bite. Sometimes those Frenzy charges can be quite fun.

One question remains: How to do you sustain your mana? I'm quite sceptical about leveling Clarity to max level. Will I even have enough mana for that? Guess I'll have to get some mana from my gear more.
@RaivokasMagma: Hey there, glad you enjoy this build :)

With Ice Bite on HoI, you will most likely need a high level Enlighten or the Sovereignty cluster to sustain a 5L+ Cold Snap. A good amount of mana/regen on gear helps too, but i doubt it'll be enough.
twitch.tv/enki91
Is this HC viable?
@Papernoob: I've heard of some people succeeding with this build in HC, however i haven't tested it myself. Playing the main role as freezer in a good party should safely get you far in HC. solo may be more challenging.
twitch.tv/enki91

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info