[1.3] Purple Rain; a shockingly chaotic Voltaxic Rift build (w/ budget version!)

I'm going to post an updated tree and some thoughts about the new patch ASAP.

I am not playing this at the moment as I'm on the new league, but this is a very fun build and I'm going to do my best to keep it updated in case anyone wants to try it out!
The best "final link" at this point is almost certainly physical to lightning in 1.3 (that 20q, so hype). Try it out and see how much DPS you get from it? I know voltaxic rift's base physical isn't so high, but I think it should still work out to be pretty reasonable, since it'll benefit from both your physical mods and lightning mods. I wish I could suggest testing Lightning Arrow over Tornado Shot (so you can get 100% physical to lightning damage conversion, which would make you able to start stacking flat physical *in preference to* flat lightning, for even more damage), but sadly, that 70% damage effectiveness on lightning arrow makes it kind of bad.

Also, I guess you never have plans to make an atziri-capable version of this build? Atziri can't be shocked, so you run out of mana instantly.
Last edited by codetaku on Jan 2, 2015, 9:28:18 AM
"
The best "final link" at this point is almost certainly physical to lightning in 1.3 (that 20q, so hype). Try it out and see how much DPS you get from it? I know voltaxic rift's base physical isn't so high, but I think it should still work out to be pretty reasonable, since it'll benefit from both your physical mods and lightning mods. I wish I could suggest testing Lightning Arrow over Tornado Shot (so you can get 100% physical to lightning damage conversion, which would make you able to start stacking flat physical *in preference to* flat lightning, for even more damage), but sadly, that 70% damage effectiveness on lightning arrow makes it kind of bad.

Also, I guess you never have plans to make an atziri-capable version of this build? Atziri can't be shocked, so you run out of mana instantly.

atziri is overhyped anyway.
spend 2 days in creating an atziri farmer instead. better cleartime for cheaper gear.
Does someone tried this build? I'm gonna do this but I'm not sure. I don't want to waste currency and time and get a weak char who can't run 78 maps or something. I don't care about Atziri since I have a char for farming her, I just love this idea but I'm not sure about this.
I've had various people whisper me in game who are playing / have played this build and they've all said it was a success for them, too. If anyone tries the build, I encourage you to share your thoughts and progress in the thread for others to see!

I've moved on since I don't play Standard (R.I.P. all my Standard characters who gather dust) but that doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a try if you're interested! I may re-try the budget version and see how far I can push that.

As for Phys2Light, that would definitely be a *terrible* gem for the 6th link. This is a pure elemental build. This build has no real physical damage for it to convert and no increased physical damage on the passive tree. Without that, it will only add like 25 dps at the cost of 110% mana multiplier. It's probably best to use a utility gem like accuracy or life leech in the 6th slot. Even blind wouldn't be bad. Added Chaos seems like the best damage increase, and is a fair bit of damage (miles ahead of what phys2light gives you) but still not enough for me to justify it over a strong utility gem.
Last edited by Yordle on Jan 23, 2015, 7:18:25 PM
GDay,

why do you not use LA over TS? LA seems so much better/stronger as it benefits not only from projectile dmg like TS does but also from all your elemental AND lightening passive nodes?

Cheers,

BB
LA's only "lightning" effect is converting 50% of your phys damage into lightning damage. And again, my bow only has like an average of 50 phys damage. So we get an extra 25 lightning damage from using LA. And yes, that 25 damage gets boosted, so maybe that gives us like....75 extra damage. When we are dealing in the thousands, though, it's completely insignificant.

It's best to just treat the bow as having a "deals no physical damage" mod on it, if that makes sense. Don't bother trying to make use of the very tiny, useless bit of phys it has.

Apart from that, LA is a totally viable skill to use for this build. I use it to curse on hit since it's effective at hitting large groups with GMP/Chain and it's built-in chain-like effect. But as a main source of damage, it only deals 70% of your total damage per shot. Tornado Shot can reach up to 109% of your total damage per shot. After you figure in damage reduction from things like multiple projectiles and chain, and hitting the same mob multiple times per shot, Tornado Shot should still come out ahead because of that higher base to start with.

But feel free to try both! I did, and that's why I settled on TS, but that's not to say that you can't make LA work, too. Maybe you'll find you like it better.
Last edited by Yordle on Jan 30, 2015, 1:10:13 AM
"
Yordle wrote:
LA's only "lightning" effect is converting 50% of your phys damage into lightning damage. And again, my bow only has like an average of 50 phys damage. So we get an extra 25 lightning damage from using LA. And yes, that 25 damage gets boosted, so maybe that gives us like....75 extra damage. When we are dealing in the thousands, though, it's completely insignificant.

It's best to just treat the bow as having a "deals no physical damage" mod on it, if that makes sense. Don't bother trying to make use of the very tiny, useless bit of phys it has.

Apart from that, LA is a totally viable skill to use for this build. I use it to curse on hit since it's effective at hitting large groups with GMP/Chain and it's built-in chain-like effect. But as a main source of damage, it only deals 70% of your total damage per shot. Tornado Shot can reach up to 109% of your total damage per shot. After you figure in damage reduction from things like multiple projectiles and chain, and hitting the same mob multiple times per shot, Tornado Shot should still come out ahead because of that higher base to start with.

But feel free to try both! I did, and that's why I settled on TS, but that's not to say that you can't make LA work, too. Maybe you'll find you like it better.

Thanks for the clarification. Did you take into consideration the LA + Pierce combo? If you support LA with pierce, every "hit" will cause the AOE effect. I know from watching a nice TS vid that if you develop a little bit skill with TS you can do quite high amounts of dmg.

The question is which skill comes out ahead. If you have the answer pls share or if you got the time test it? I just started out in BL with the budget version yesterday so will have to worry about other things but ifd I get the chance I will test it and share.

Thx again.

Cheers
I'm following this build. At the moment I have 73 level and these items:

*4L LA because of low funds

--

It's really nice build. Since I started using Voltaxic Rift with 5L TS, I can do easly some 74-75 lv maps. I didn't try higher tho. Unfortunately I have HUGE problems with mana, and I don't really know why. I have max %shock, but I always have "breaks" between attacks with "My mana is low" text. The other problem for me is movement. It's SLOOOWWWW, and even if I'm using LW, it's still annyoing as hell. This char is fun etc., but honestly I was expecting something more from char for >50 exalts.
Last edited by Pure on Jan 31, 2015, 7:07:16 AM
74-75 maps at that level is really good. Nice gear, too!

Mana is definitely a tricky one. What you can do is either put a few more points into %mana (raise your leech cap) or swap out your second ring or amulet for a -7 or 8 mana Elreon piece. Your current ring is quite nice, though, so crafting an Elreon that good might be hard.

The build does move quite slow. Personally, I found that a well-rolled Quicksilver and Lightning Warp set-up with high quality on all the key gems felt good enough. But if you are coming from a fast moving build, the change can hit you quite hard. You can easily swap out your boot for a 30% move speed one (that might let you swap resists around to get an Elreon ring or amulet as well, if you wanted to do that). The lightning damage, flee and life on kill are all fun, but you won't miss much without them.

Thanks for posting your feedback! I'm glad you are finding it fun.

Personally, on Rampage it cost me about 28~ exalts for all the core pieces, and another 2 or so for everything else. That is still a LOT for a build that is more about being thematic and different, so you are totally right, it might let some people down who are looking for something crazy stupid OP.
Last edited by Yordle on Feb 1, 2015, 9:00:27 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info