Beta Key Givaways to active loggers

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Not having logged in doesn't mean someone hasn't been following the forums. It doesn't mean they don't care about the game, and it doesn't mean they won't start posting lots once they are in beta. All it means is they haven't logged in/posted. If you want to draw other conclusions from that then go ahead, but that won't make them correct.

Easy fix to that part would be that you're required to log in to view most of the forums. Some developers go so far as to not allow you to even see the forums at all without having created an active paying account. I'm not saying you'd need to go crazy with it, but requiring someone to log in once a week or whatever isn't too much to ask. ;)
It IS too much to ask that people log in to have a chance to get in the beta because we've specifically promised people who signed up to the site that just registering would give them the chance at beta access. Going back on that would be not cool. Here at GGG, we're cool, and we don't want to stop being cool by going back on our word.

I wasn't necessarily talking about prior accounts when that statement was made. I meant as a future "modification" to how the invites are treated. ;) I wouldn't and nor should anyone else expect you to go back on your word.

"
tpapp157 wrote:
A very good example of Mark's point is WhiteBoy88.
TL:DR
Pre-Beta Posts: 0
Post-Beta Posts: 1000+
You've probably seen WhiteBoy88 around because he's been significant contributor on the beta forums and the community as a whole.

There are exceptions to every norm. But what percentage of those 0 post prior to beta people have contributed considerably since their invite? I imagine not much from past experience.

That'll be the argument that you'll get from some of the public.
Join the Veterans of War! See the thread in Off-topic for details.
Last edited by PrimusPalus on Oct 20, 2011, 12:08:00 AM
"
tpapp157 wrote:
You've probably seen WhiteBoy88 around because he's been significant contributor on the beta forums and the community as a whole.

Agreed I am very happy to see those type of results. As I have previously stated, I have acted before I thought this through. However i still stand firm on my thoughts of future beta key giveaways... their could have been a diffrent way on to give out keys besides just joining the websight. Makes statements like mine never even to be thought of. =)
joined 11/25/11

I wasn't necessarily talking about prior accounts when that statement was made. I meant as a future "modification" to how the invites are treated. ;) I wouldn't and nor should anyone else expect you to go back on your word.

"
tpapp157 wrote:

There are exceptions to every norm. But what percentage of those 0 post prior to beta people have contributed considerably since their invite? I imagine not much from past experience.

That'll be the argument that you'll get from some of the public. [/quote]

i agree future beta key giveaways should be a little more in depth rather tan just siging up, it helps for the precent of people who dont use the key and it rots.

And I also agre with the argument that you will get those similar types of complaints from the public. I still feel that most people who get keys wont even use them or be active on forms... now thats my statement i have no statistics to prove it. But in the end isnt that what every game msster or form moderator would want. An honest opinion for an intrested gamer who wants to play their game?
joined 11/25/11
Wow, Another one of these threads?

You'd think GGG was a buncha evil folks who delighted in frustrating their fanbase, and in receiving heaps of abuse and accusations, for providing an opportunity to participate in closed Beta which some companies don't provide at all.

Since so many folks have such grand ideas, perhaps they'd have more luck proposing them to, say, Blizzard, to get into the D3 Beta? Or, they could go through all the hard work and sacrifice involved in starting up a games company of their own, and see how much better they can do things.

GGG's chosen method of selecting Beta testers works for them. It's also fair, as much so as they can make it, and, despite all the squeaky wheels, most folks are content to wait their turn without complaint. Those who post threads like this, those who argue vehemently and at length about how "unfair" GGG is being, are in the minority. They are no more the "99%" than the OWS protesters are.

My suggestions: Stop watching the timer. You'll get your email when you get it... Or not. Eventually, everybody will get in. If not into closed Beta, then open. Instead of kvetching about Beta invites, do your best to study the game. Read forum posts. Watch videos and streams. That way, when you do get your invite, you can be an effective, informed tester. That's a far more productive use of your time than joining the chorus of those who perceive injustice in a random draw.

By the way, from what I've seen, the GGG devs, who are a very busy lot of folks, have been very gracious with their time and responses to the concerns of the fans. That Mark has troubled himself to try to answer the concerns posted here is not a sign that he is putting the jackbooted foot of the GGG Empire down on the necks of dissenters; he is trying to help folks to understand how and why GGG is doing what they do. He doesn't have to pop in and post that kind of answer; he could very well be putting that time and effort to better use working on the game. You wouldn't see that kind of responsiveness from many games companies; GGG is small enough that they are still able to connect directly with the fans that way. Be glad of that.

Finally (and I've seen it before), you can forget about accusing me of writing this to curry favor with GGG to get a Beta invite. I dun want one. I'm looking forward to playing in the OPEN Beta, when it comes, for reasons which are irrelevant to this discussion. ='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
Raycheetah wrote:
By the way, from what I've seen, the GGG devs, who are a very busy lot of folks, have been very gracious with their time and responses to the concerns of the fans. That Mark has troubled himself to try to answer the concerns posted here is not a sign that he is putting the jackbooted foot of the GGG Empire down on the necks of dissenters; he is trying to help folks to understand how and why GGG is doing what they do. He doesn't have to pop in and post that kind of answer; he could very well be putting that time and effort to better use working on the game. You wouldn't see that kind of responsiveness from many games companies; GGG is small enough that they are still able to connect directly with the fans that way. Be glad of that.

I created a thread just a few minutes ago stating that same exact thing. It's rather impressive and decent of them to contribute so much time to replying to community members.
Join the Veterans of War! See the thread in Off-topic for details.
"
Raycheetah wrote:
Wow, Another one of these threads?

You'd think GGG was a buncha evil folks who delighted in frustrating their fanbase, and in receiving heaps of abuse and accusations, for providing an opportunity to participate in closed Beta which some companies don't provide at all.

Since so many folks have such grand ideas, perhaps they'd have more luck proposing them to, say, Blizzard, to get into the D3 Beta? Or, they could go through all the hard work and sacrifice involved in starting up a games company of their own, and see how much better they can do things.

GGG's chosen method of selecting Beta testers works for them. It's also fair, as much so as they can make it, and, despite all the squeaky wheels, most folks are content to wait their turn without complaint. Those who post threads like this, those who argue vehemently and at length about how "unfair" GGG is being, are in the minority. They are no more the "99%" than the OWS protesters are.

My suggestions: Stop watching the timer. You'll get your email when you get it... Or not. Eventually, everybody will get in. If not into closed Beta, then open. Instead of kvetching about Beta invites, do your best to study the game. Read forum posts. Watch videos and streams. That way, when you do get your invite, you can be an effective, informed tester. That's a far more productive use of your time than joining the chorus of those who perceive injustice in a random draw.

Finally (and I've seen it before), you can forget about accusing me of writing this to curry favor with GGG to get a Beta invite. I dun want one. I'm looking forward to playing in the OPEN Beta, when it comes, for reasons which are irrelevant to this discussion. ='[.]'=

I sure do agree with what your saying... But who are you to say im not a well qualified beta tester. Because i joined a say ago. No. I joined one day ago because i finally got internet back after a personal disaster i have experienced. What im saying is that i do read fourms and i do watch gameplay and read what GGG has to do and what they say. But also remember that I feel its important for close beta keys to go to people that deserve it and are a help... thats that game moderators are looking for rite? Im not saying that GGG made a premature decision on their decision on the Beta Key Giveaway. I dont see how i could or why i would because if the case of an open beta. I was just frustrated that some beta users wouldnt be properly helping out GGG and or anyone else involved into makeing this game so fantastic.
joined 11/25/11
"
troopertroup wrote:
Not to log on Jan 2010 and never log in again and get a beta key and completely waste it all... Absolutly not fair.

Why do people that create an account need to log into the forums if they are not in beta? (This wasn't a requirement by GGG in order to have a chance at a beta invite when creating their account .) How is it not fair that they created an account close to a year ago and are just now getting into beta?

90+% of all non-beta member posts are just related to key whining spam. So what if you have a higher post count or are "active", it means nothing. A vast majority of people who created accounts don't bother to log in when they browse the forums. Why would they? If they are not in beta, there really isn't much to post about.

And I should know, I created my account in March and didn't log in again till the end August. There was no need to log in. I & others can find all the information we need in the forums without logging in. The only reason I started logging in was to try to participate in Key giveaways. If not for that reason, I would not have logged in till I received the beta invite.

No offense, but this topic has been started in a thread OVER 9000 times. Try using the search function and add to one of the other 9000 threads on this topic.

A few suggestions for GGG & the Forum Moderators

Community Moderators
-Both the General & Beta Invite Discussions sections need them.
-You could select a few members from all different time zones to cover these 2 sections of the forums.
-They could be responsible for locking, deleting, or merging threads.

The Beta Invite Discussion section is filled spam & junk. And leads me to my second suggestion.

A permanent beta-key whining/complaining thread
-Sticky it to the top.
-Merge all whining/complaining threads about the beta invite process into one thread.
-You could have a Mod create and announce in that thread, that all the whining/complaining needs to be contained in this thread. And that any threads about said topic will be deleted or merged.
-This will clean the forums up and allow for people with genuine questions, info, or giving away a key, to actually have that thread seen by people.
-It will make it easier for people that try to participate in key giveaways to actually see the thread.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof."

-Christopher Hitchens

lulz at the walls of text just wait for your turn to get a random key or friend invite quit crying about it because theyre not going to change it.
"
Raycheetah wrote:
That Mark has troubled himself to try to answer the concerns posted here is not a sign that he is putting the jackbooted foot of the GGG Empire down on the necks of dissenters; he is trying to help folks to understand how and why GGG is doing what they do. He doesn't have to pop in and post that kind of answer; he could very well be putting that time and effort to better use working on the game.
Well, I'm not that great. It's partially because circumstances in the office mean I'm currently working from my hard drive instead of my solid state drive, meaning the game takes ages to compile, and keeping up with the forums is something I can do while it does that. I mostly just try to keep up with the beta feedback/bug forums, so I'm only round these parts when I end up with extra time or am at home catching up with what's going on.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Raycheetah wrote:
That Mark has troubled himself to try to answer the concerns posted here is not a sign that he is putting the jackbooted foot of the GGG Empire down on the necks of dissenters; he is trying to help folks to understand how and why GGG is doing what they do. He doesn't have to pop in and post that kind of answer; he could very well be putting that time and effort to better use working on the game.
Well, I'm not that great. It's partially because circumstances in the office mean I'm currently working from my hard drive instead of my solid state drive, meaning the game takes ages to compile, and keeping up with the forums is something I can do while it does that. I mostly just try to keep up with the beta feedback/bug forums, so I'm only round these parts when I end up with extra time or am at home catching up with what's going on.

Perhaps. But I can think of plenty more edifying things to do with your time than beating your head against the wall of noise. Just sayin.' =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info