Switching to critical strike based character

Um, even with ogrec's highly defence oriented tree you can pretty easily get 40k cleave with conc effect. Just look at some of the more recent replies in the thread.
Then there's that other new build that has 110k cleave with admittedly powerful gear but it's all RT bro:)
For try, for see, and for know.

This is a buff
"
sidtherat wrote:
it is bad

but there is a hidden note that some tend to ignore - accuracy

i see people (Even streamers) going for 300% crit and high multi without accuracy% and then their builds have 79% chance to hit (flat accu is needed but without % it is not enough)

it obviously does not apply to spells but for melee (Esp the left side) accuracy cuts down the 'real' dmg output significantly as it rolls for hit AND crit

+1 to game going into the same tunel d3 drove into - crit or gtfo

Many people like me don't take accuracy nodes for non RT and that's done on purpose. Because this way it's much easier to deal with reflect as evasion char (idea is stupid). The more accuracy you have, the less effective your evasion is vs reflect (really really idiotic).

Btw I also found RT as a noob trap. Highest I can get atm for my melee cleave is 45k (with perfect gear it would be 80k), but it is nowhere close to daggers. And it's cleave means you have to go close to hit the target and AoE is weak.

I wish to see RT melee build farming uber Atziri...

Last edited by CookieVortex on Sep 24, 2014, 10:49:27 AM
Are you against casters? Because there are very good caster builds and not all of them depend on crit for very high dps. Witches got an enormous buff, with people reporting gains in defense and dps across the board compared to before 1.2.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." — Mark Twain
"
kasub wrote:
Passives:

http://tinyurl.com/pnddvf2

You go towards purity of flesh to use bloodrage and since you need int. I don't like iron reflexes so I don't take it. It's pretty easy to take more offensive nodes if you want more DPS. 6k HP is reachable with my passives(is pretty defensive).

All gear is selffound except helm and carcass was given by a friend(was using 4 link belly before which is 400 more life.. and don't really need a 5 link chest). Got WoE early on and 6 linked in 260~ fuse. Got rainbowstride from unique strongbox. Gear has been unchanged for last 2 weeks since I play other chars now. Has done death and taxes, farmed atziri..etc.

Gear:

Spoiler

Very impressive build for WoE RT :)
I stopped taking Resolute technique a long time ago if I do not desperatly require it to make a build work. Even in non-crit builds. It just doesn't seem to be worth it.
It is usually not too hard to find a little Dex/Acc on helmet, gloves, rings and/or on the passive tree, and once you hit "85% to hit", it feels like you hit every monster all the time.

Crit is obviously better than RT, this even starts at very low numbers.

If, let's say, your average damage per second is X.
An RT user will deal X DpS.
A guy with just 10% crit chance, 200% crit multi and 90% chance to hit wil deal:
10% - 0
80% - X
10% - 2*X
That's already even with RT (with literally no investment at all), and once the numbers start groing (crit chance and multi), shit gets crazy.

Is this balanced?

If you look only at BiS items: No.
You're dealing the same base damage, but it gets multiplied 90% of times by 900%. Obviously not fair, even if you grab (instead of crit) some more damage nodes off the tree, you will never be able to beat this with RT.

If you look at mediocre gear: Yes.
Crit-related Weapons with good crit stats and DpS cost a fortune, compared to others.
Jewelry with 300+ Accuracy along other sexy stats cost a fortune.
If you got like 5 Ex to spend in total, both the crit guy and the RT guy will end up in the 10-20k dps range.
Or, if you want me to say it in selffound/no trade terms:
You will find crit OR DpS on a weapon. Not both.
You will most likely one day find a 300+DpS onehander. And a 180DpS Dagger.
The stars have to align especially for you to ever change that. ;)

I'm aware that mirrored items etc exist in the game, and I'm also aware that they are bought, used and crafted, but as long as the majority of players doesn't get to use them, I see no reason to balance the game around this minority.

Let crit be "theoretically better", as long as this doesn't affect most people, who cares?

And keep in mind that Resolute Technique being a keystone does not mean that it has to be powerful/equal.
You give something up to receive something. If you think that's worth it, go ahead, if not, skip it.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
"
CookieVortex wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:
it is bad

i see people (Even streamers) going for 300% crit and high multi without accuracy% and then their builds have 79% chance to hit (flat accu is needed but without % it is not enough)

it obviously does not apply to spells but for melee (Esp the left side) accuracy cuts down the 'real' dmg output significantly as it rolls for hit AND crit

Many people like me don't take accuracy nodes for non RT and that's done on purpose. Because this way it's much easier to deal with reflect as evasion char (idea is stupid). The more accuracy you have, the less effective your evasion is vs reflect (really really idiotic).

Btw I also found RT as a noob trap. Highest I can get atm for my melee cleave is 45k (with perfect gear it would be 80k), but it is nowhere close to daggers. And it's cleave means you have to go close to hit the target and AoE is weak.

I wish to see RT melee build farming uber Atziri...

What part of 110k cleave DPS do you not understand? The OP of that build doesn't even have close to mirror worthy weapons. High dps is very much possible with RT.

The real problem is that if he invested the same amount of currency in a similar build that is crit based he would have at least three times the DPS.

However, RT builds do get to invest a lot of points into defence like block and life which otherwise go into getting crit.

As peterlock said, for most gear levels crit vs non crit is balanced. It's only at the higher tiers of gear that crit is broken, which it shouldn't be.
For try, for see, and for know.

This is a buff
"
GodKas wrote:
Welcome to the Path of mindlessly broken crit daggers

Someone is jelly
its hard to be jelly when they removed the one thing keeping dagger builds from being mainstream (their rarity). which is tangible proof that rarity as a balancing mechanic is about as effective as brushing your teeth with feces's to attract a member of the opposite sex.

they were always borked , now its all out in the open for everyone to see.
"
sidtherat wrote:
it is bad

Last time i checked crits cant miss, they changed it?
My best char so far https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1211377
"
Etherfire wrote:
As peterlock said, for most gear levels crit vs non crit is balanced. It's only at the higher tiers of gear that crit is broken, which it shouldn't be.

Simple solution: Use diminishing returns formulas to cap effective crit chance to 50% max, and effective crit multiplier to 300% max.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info