[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

I've been reading mixed reviews about the viability of this build due to low damage. Obviously i know it relies heavily on your weapon, but would you recommend this for someone who is contemplating SSF (at least as long as i can stand too) for Legacy? Not expecting to be doing red maps right away, I'd be content with something that is capable of making steady progress and has a fairly quick clearspeed/playstyle.

Thanks in advance.
"
Dessel4 wrote:
I've been reading mixed reviews about the viability of this build due to low damage. Obviously i know it relies heavily on your weapon, but would you recommend this for someone who is contemplating SSF (at least as long as i can stand too) for Legacy? Not expecting to be doing red maps right away, I'd be content with something that is capable of making steady progress and has a fairly quick clearspeed/playstyle.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, a somewhat decent self found or crafted dagger with whirling blades + faster attacks for mobility and blade flurry should feel like a good pace, as self-found play goes. This is more item dependent than something like a totem build though.

Anyone that says the build is not viable due to low damage clearly hasn't played it with good gear and proper technique..... I kill a screen of monsters in a second with 1 ex worth of gear... maybe they are also forgetting that a build they consider 'viable' uses a lot more costly gear or skills that don't rely on gear.... also, viability is subjective....
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Dessel4 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Yes, a somewhat decent self found or crafted dagger with whirling blades + faster attacks for mobility and blade flurry should feel like a good pace, as self-found play goes. This is more item dependent than something like a totem build though.

Anyone that says the build is not viable due to low damage clearly hasn't played it with good gear and proper technique..... I kill a screen of monsters in a second with 1 ex worth of gear... maybe they are also forgetting that a build they consider 'viable' uses a lot more costly gear or skills that don't rely on gear.... also, viability is subjective....

Gotcha appreciate the feed back. So you recommend Whirling blades rather than shield charge now? Also it looks like Ice Crash, Earth Quake and Blade Flurry seem to be the three best options with maybe Infernal Blow in that second tier? I know you broke down the numbers already, but do you prefer one for a good balance between clearing maps and taking down bosses quickly?

I want to stay away from totems if possible even if i'm playing SSF.
Is this build capable of do red maps? Is just my question, i dont wanna to expend more then 20ex.
"
Dessel4 wrote:
Gotcha appreciate the feed back. So you recommend Whirling blades rather than shield charge now? Also it looks like Ice Crash, Earth Quake and Blade Flurry seem to be the three best options with maybe Infernal Blow in that second tier? I know you broke down the numbers already, but do you prefer one for a good balance between clearing maps and taking down bosses quickly?

I want to stay away from totems if possible even if i'm playing SSF.

Before blade flurry was the meta, I used shield charge because it was slightly better than leap slam after the shield charge upgrades some months back. After blade flurry came out, the build was changed to be more skill-neutral, which was always a goal for me. As blade flurry can be used with the same weapon types as whirling blades, it re-opened that as a possibility.

Whirling blades has the shortest animation so it will keep the pace going. Excellent for avoiding boss skills, such as slams or flameblasts.

In terms of overall clear speeds, the movement skill choice is very important.

For attack skills, the current best would be blade flurry (far in the lead), then ice crash and earthquake (roughly tied). Blade flurry is ahead because it's ranged and you can erase a screen of monsters without moving and then whirl to the next screen, repeat. Ranged ability makes it safer for the bosses. Unfortunately, all of the other melee skills are definitely second tier at this time.
"
arlindo wrote:
Is this build capable of do red maps? Is just my question, i dont wanna to expend more then 20ex.

I do red maps easily with 1 ex worth of gear (with careful shopping, see budget setup).
What is the best shield option ?
"
arlindo wrote:
What is the best shield option ?

For the budget setup, lioneye's remorse, for the premium setup, either aegis or The Surrender if affordable/self found (not worth a price premium over aegis). AR/ES hybrid chest with aegis, AR chest with surrender.
What is the best weapon option ? With aegis
"
arlindo wrote:
What is the best weapon option ? With aegis

Neither you nor I can afford the "best," but you can see I put a Bino's with the Aegis in the guide. It works fine.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info