[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

Ok, so I've reached L70 with this and enjoying it :-)
I've mostly played spell-casters until now, and this is my first real melee build. It is working fine so far... I'm using Heavy Strike as my main damage dealer, and running the three aura's in an Alpha's (meaning no mana problems, and I like the freeze immunity too).

HOWEVER!... I have a question about where I should go from here...
I've followed the skill-tree as specified, but taken the Scion block nodes before the Unrelenting health nodes. Currently just missing the last of the 3 scion block nodes.

My gear and gem setup...
Spoiler
(all self-found I might add)

I'm using a Temu and a legacy Anvil which will bring my blocking to 78% (79% actual, but capped) when I get the last Scion block node.
I would however like to switch to a Lazhwar and Rainbowstrides for the spell block, but here is where I have the question...

As It'll be a while before I get the last 4% block (if ever), should I wait until then to do the switch (and keep the maxed melee block), or should I accept going down to 69% melee block and get the 48% spell block (my Rainbows are 20%)?
Other suggestions are welcome too :-)
Last edited by Cyzax on May 31, 2015, 7:12:33 PM
"
Cyzax wrote:
As It'll be a while before I get the last 4% block (if ever), should I wait until then to do the switch (and keep the maxed melee block), or should I accept going down to 69% melee block and get the 48% spell block (my Rainbows are 20%)?
Other suggestions are welcome too :-)

Hi Cyzax!

Yes, absolutely go for the spell block. Helps a lot.

Don't worry about slashing comeback, most likely patch 2.0 will come out before you need to take that, and there will be other ways to get block then.

Also I would suggest trying a different attack skill, unfortunately heavy strike has not been updated in a long time so there are better options now.
"
Sovyn wrote:
Also I would suggest trying a different attack skill, unfortunately heavy strike has not been updated in a long time so there are better options now.

Thanks for the reply :-)
I did use a 'converter' attack skill for a while (Infernal Blow), but found it impacted my leech. Heavy Strike lets me keep all the physical damage, meaning my leech is much better. I know there are higher damage skills, but it is a trade-off... I'll level a Static Strike and try it out though.
Thanks for the responses to my questions on the previous page! I'm traveling atm so I won't type much, but that was helpful. Especially good to realize the mana benefit of a slower weapon, which hadn't occurred to me. That made me remember that I actually don't completely understand how Static Strike works though. It builds up to 3 charges. I was assuming it does more damage if you're hitting fast enough to add charges before it goes off, right? Does that mean a fast weapon can build up bigger static explosions? I was never really sure how that works.

Sovyn, I'll look to add a 5-link chest and hopefully a Doryani's before too long when I get back. I'll at least start checking the trade site for Doryani's to see if an affordable one pops up. Are there certain minimum rolls I should look for on it to make sure it's still good later on? It looks as if there's a fair bit of variance in the physical damage ranges it can have (I see something that says it can have 96-158 at the low end and 116-218 at the high end).

Thanks!
"
Cyzax wrote:
I'll level a Static Strike and try it out though.

Pop a cyclone and reave on there too in your weapon switch to level them. Ice Crash as well, in a month or so.
"
Kamina100 wrote:
That made me remember that I actually don't completely understand how Static Strike works though. It builds up to 3 charges. I was assuming it does more damage if you're hitting fast enough to add charges before it goes off, right? Does that mean a fast weapon can build up bigger static explosions?

....start checking the trade site for Doryani's to see if an affordable one pops up. Are there certain minimum rolls I should look for on it to make sure it's still good later on? It looks as if there's a fair bit of variance in the physical damage ranges it can have (I see something that says it can have 96-158 at the low end and 116-218 at the high end).

Static Strike charges and explodes right away, no building up... hit, explode, hit, explode. The explosion is not factored into the tooltip dps. Just multiply your tooltip dps times 1.7 to figure out the total (will be 1.6 in the upcoming expansion). Faster attack speed is only beneficial for static strike if you are in a situation where the explosion might not have time to fire before the monsters are all dead, as in some of the standard league groups at the high end.

I picked up a Doryani's with the highest roll on the physical damage I thought was reasonably priced. You can sort by the physical dps by clicking that pdps value on the poe.trade search results page. No need to get the very best one. Usually a little less than perfect is much lower cost than the perfect rolled ones.
Hey there! I love your build and I find it very interesting, but I feel very lazy playing it since I can't die that easily.

This is my build so far, I'm currently lvl 84 and I didnt take Sword nodes on the far right with 4% block chance since I dont need them..yet. I'd rather focus more on dmg because my static strike deals around 20k without explosions. I'm capped with ressistances and have 4,7k hp with a kinda nice amount of armor.

http://prntscr.com/7btyo5 - These are my stats in the Sarn.
http://prntscr.com/7bu1qf - Full defensive in Docks.
http://prntscr.com/7bu28k - With Atziri's Promise flask in Docks.

(I'm currently saving for the Stone with 3-4% block chance, but its not highly necesary)

Can you please give me an advice what to change, if something is not good.
I'd say my build is around 9-10 ex.
Last edited by CptSatch on Jun 1, 2015, 10:04:00 AM
"
Sovyn wrote:

Static Strike charges and explodes right away, no building up... hit, explode, hit, explode. The explosion is not factored into the tooltip dps. Just multiply your tooltip dps times 1.7 to figure out the total (will be 1.6 in the upcoming expansion). Faster attack speed is only beneficial for static strike if you are in a situation where the explosion might not have time to fire before the monsters are all dead, as in some of the standard league groups at the high end.

What does the counter on the Static Strike buff icon do? The one that goes up to 3 as you hit enemies.
"
Kamina100 wrote:
"
Sovyn wrote:

What does the counter on the Static Strike buff icon do? The one that goes up to 3 as you hit enemies.

Its a counter of how many explosions are remaining. For example i can build up to 6-7 due to high speed from Doryani's Catalyst and lvl 20 Faster Attacks w/ 20% quality, and multi strike gem. So the faster you hit, the bigger number will be, therefore your dps will be higher in overall (because you deal more damage per second - dps)
Whoah!

Switching Anvil for Lazhwar made him go on steroids! I didn't realise how much slower Anvil made everything!
While blocking a bit less, he also clears much faster, reducing incoming damage that way. Plus of.c. the spell block. Nice!

I like The Anvil nonetheless :-p
It is one of the really 'unique' Uniques, and is quite well balanced I think with significant upsides and equal downsides.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info