[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

All right folks, I have the preliminary guide for Path of Exile v2.0 The Awakening posted to the front page in spoiler tags at the very bottom of the current guide. It will replace the existing content eventually. This new guide is substantially different and subject to change as the beta progresses. Enjoy!
"
Sovyn wrote:
All right folks, I have the preliminary guide for Path of Exile v2.0 The Awakening posted to the front page in spoiler tags at the very bottom of the current guide. It will replace the existing content eventually. This new guide is substantially different and subject to change as the beta progresses. Enjoy!

Thanks! Yeah from what you had previously posted I figured the Jewel portion out but wasn't sure how the CWDT setup would change. I like the choices though!
Looks really good, I like the look of the tree :)
Forgot to mention Blood Magic for the movement skill if reserving 100% of mana so I took care of that.
Heya Sovyn and fellow lazy pally's!

I too have been toying around with this build on beta for the past 5 days or so. I opted for duelist since he wears pants, and pretty closely follows the tree as posted in the new 2.0 section.

I'm posting mainly because you didn't really mention the new claws; Twin, Moon and Gemini. I found a Twin claw in Wetlands, A2M, and got a fairly lucky alc roll. Am now 69 and still looking for a Moon or Gemini to craft an upgrade.

http://i.imgur.com/nT3g5mE.png

The implicit mod is very interesting in my opinion, especially the mana! The 2% mana leech you see in my char sheet is from my ammy; I can actually sustain my mana quite fine without that 2% mana leech, just relying on the claw implicit! None of my gear has any life leech yet, so I actually took the Lust for Carnage cluster for now. The combination of the claw's implicit + that cluster makes for not using my health potions very often.

I run a 5l static strike+multistrike+mpd+FA+fortify with a mana cost of 24. IMO the new claws seem to be a strong choice.
17/04/2021 https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3082616/page/1
"We tell people that Path of Exile league starts are a fair playing field for everyone, and we need to actually make sure that is the reality."

A BLATANT LIE by the HMFIIC.
Perhaps GGG should consider a leadership change.
"
I'm posting mainly because you didn't really mention the new claws;

Hi Bjorn, Thanks for your post.

I'm very impressed with all of the claws, the life leech or life gain on hit is very good now. The hybrid leech claws are interesting as well. I did in fact hint toward those in the guide, weapon section:

"
A type of weapon called a 'claw' fitting this description offers the additional benefit of regaining life and possibly mana as well while you attack.

.......While claws are super while leveling I can't really recommend them for endgame due to the cost, 50-100 ex for a good endgame claw whereas Doryani's is only 2ex and will do similar damage. If someone can manage to find a good claw as a monster drop and finish it up with a master craft, great!

I'll consider fleshing out that sentence though.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
I'm posting mainly because you didn't really mention the new claws;

Hi Bjorn, Thanks for your post.

I'm very impressed with all of the claws, the life leech or life gain on hit is very good now. The hybrid leech claws are interesting as well. I did in fact hint toward those in the guide, weapon section:

"
A type of weapon called a 'claw' fitting this description offers the additional benefit of regaining life and possibly mana as well while you attack.

.......While claws are super while leveling I can't really recommend them for endgame due to the cost, 50-100 ex for a good endgame claw whereas Doryani's is only 2ex and will do similar damage. If someone can manage to find a good claw as a monster drop and finish it up with a master craft, great!

I'll consider fleshing out that sentence though.

The main issue I noticed while leveling so far is that ice crash uses a lot of mana, and the 1h weapon doesn't return a lot of that back to you, especially early on and even with 4% mana leech. Granted, the defenses are so good that you can spare jewelry slots for 1-2 eleron pieces, but that is assuming I have a lot of uniques early on to fill the gaps. Finding a good 1h to replace Brightbeak is rough too if you want to use IC. There are so many 2h items out there but 1h weapons which are IC friendly are scarce in that mid level range.
Last edited by damelon on May 28, 2015, 11:05:02 AM
"
damelon wrote:
The main issue I noticed while leveling so far is that ice crash uses a lot of mana, and the 1h weapon doesn't return a lot of that back to you, especially early on and even with 4% mana leech. Granted, the defenses are so good that you can spare jewelry slots for 1-2 eleron pieces, but that is assuming I have a lot of uniques early on to fill the gaps. Finding a good 1h to replace Brightbeak is rough too if you want to use IC. There are so many 2h items out there but 1h weapons which are IC friendly are scarce in that mid level range.

Because it's so slow with the required mace, no uniques are available to me in beta, I can sustain 4-link ice crash (fortify, faster attacks, melee physical damage) with level 3 clarity and 2% mana leech ring ("thirsty" is its only mod, found on a vendor).

Now if you started with a different class than Templar you are missing the 20% mana regen node at his start which could make a small difference. You can grab shaper or mana flows instead to compensate.

Blood magic or Reduced Mana support on your attack skill is always an option if you can't make it work.

Final note perhaps only applicable to live, Mightflay is awesome at level 35 but won't work with ice crash unfortunately due to the restrictions on that skill. One could continue to use static strike (or Reave) if he/she simply cannot find a good rare for around that level.
Last edited by Sovyn on May 28, 2015, 6:18:47 PM
Updated the 2.0 guide a little bit, adding a screenshot of the shielding jewel I just made in beta along with tweaking the shield section in the 'Gear' area slightly to mention the kite shields most folks will find along the way.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
damelon wrote:

Because it's so slow with the required mace, no uniques are available to me in beta, I can sustain 4-link ice crash (fortify, faster attacks, melee physical damage) with level 3 clarity and 2% mana leech ring ("thirsty" is its only mod, found on a vendor).

Now if you started with a different class than Templar you are missing the 20% mana regen node at his start which could make a small difference. You can grab shaper or mana flows instead to compensate.

Blood magic or Reduced Mana support on your attack skill is always an option if you can't make it work.

Final note perhaps only applicable to live, Mightflay is awesome at level 35 but won't work with ice crash unfortunately due to the restrictions on that skill. One could continue to use static strike (or Reave) if he/she simply cannot find a good rare for around that level.

Primary I think ice crash is an issue with a high attack speed 1h weapon early. (Slower weapon with same dps is better than fast in this case) As mentioned, early on you can use eleron jewelry to support it, and additionally I have grabbed the unrelenting wheel in my early 40s to get some reduced skill cost. Something else I think would make a big difference is a +mana on hit jewel or to get Revelry. I haven't used clarity and can sustain mana with HoA vs Hatred, but the total pool for me is still too low to swap back. Again, the defenses on this build make dying virtually impossible so the mana cost issue isn't a big deal as I don't need to attack much to make it work. I have seen several 1h weapons available in the lv 48 range which are 3x the DPS as brightbreak, so that extra damage will help clear speed as well as give more leech. I did find a 5L So that is probably causing most of my mana issues (IC-FA-Phys-WeD-Fort) but as I said I am still able to make it work at the moment.

Another issue i've noticed is the severe lack of int. You have to have rings with +int to make this work or take a +30 node to hold you over. Either that or level your elemental weakness. It is now 83 int for a level 5 vs the 73 on your first page. CoH is also 75 vs 73 at level 5. This might be another reason to use Mana Flows but we'll see.
Last edited by damelon on May 29, 2015, 2:18:25 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info