[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
damelon wrote:
additionally I have grabbed the unrelenting wheel in my early 40s to get some reduced skill cost.........

I did find a 5L So that is probably causing most of my mana issues (IC-FA-Phys-WeD-Fort)

I did as well, one of the first things I took, forgot to mention that.

Will probably include Unrelenting earlier in the 2.0 progression builds than I did in 1.3.

No problem sustaining ice crash with 4-link which seems to be enough dps for low level content.

In your case, I'd try added fire damage instead of weapon elemental damage as the multiplier is lower.

I'm running HoA, TS, clarity (3).

I didn't take any INT nodes but on live I do have INT on gear. On beta, one of the first things I equipped was a turquoise amulet and I did take Retribution early as well because I wanted to test Amplify.
Last edited by Sovyn on May 29, 2015, 5:17:03 PM
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
damelon wrote:
additionally I have grabbed the unrelenting wheel in my early 40s to get some reduced skill cost.........

I did find a 5L So that is probably causing most of my mana issues (IC-FA-Phys-WeD-Fort)

I did as well, one of the first things I took, forgot to mention that.

Will probably include Unrelenting earlier in the 2.0 progression builds than I did in 1.3.

No problem sustaining ice crash with 4-link which seems to be enough dps for low level content.

In your case, I'd try added fire damage instead of weapon elemental damage as the multiplier is lower.

I'm running HoA, TS, clarity (3).

I didn't take any INT nodes but on live I do have INT on gear. On beta, one of the first things I equipped was a turquoise amulet and I did take Retribution early as well because I wanted to test Amplify.

Ok so we were on the same page for Unrelenting.

So my mana problems seemed to resolve themselves after my physical damage started coming into play. Had a new sword which was 3-4x my phs dmg and started getting some of the % melee dmg nodes and then the 2% leech on my gloves was enough by itself. I was even able to switch HoA to Hatred without issues and now my dps seems to be steadily growing as well. I still have one eleron ring on but will swap that out when I hit merc. You're right, i could have switched to added fire to help the mana, but I found ways around it as mentioned. In the first two difficulties there is a lot of flexibility due to low resist requirements. Fortunately once you hit Merc you have started to get more +%phys and open up to better phys weapons so that should be a good balance point.

As far as the int, I am unable to switch to the anvil yet due to needed int on my amulet. I also have to keep a lot of my blue gems unleveled to scale with my int. I think if I find a good +30 int ring that will help but a temporary +30 node works too that I can respec later. It's only 1 point after all.

Also, got an awesome Gem for this build today! The area dmg even applies with ice crash as well.

Rarity: Rare
Apocalypse Splinter
Crimson Jewel
--------
Item Level: 67
--------
2% additional Chance to Block Spells with Shields
7% increased maximum Life
12% increased Melee Damage
10% increased Area Damage
--------
Last edited by damelon on May 29, 2015, 5:31:40 PM
"
damelon wrote:
I think if I find a good +30 int ring that will help but a temporary +30 node works too that I can respec later. It's only 1 point after all.

Also, got an awesome Gem for this build today! The area dmg even applies with ice crash as well.

Rarity: Rare
Apocalypse Splinter
Crimson Jewel
--------
Item Level: 67
--------
2% additional Chance to Block Spells with Shields
7% increased maximum Life
12% increased Melee Damage
10% increased Area Damage
--------

Sure one point spent on Ancestral Knowledge for example would be fine, if one wants to level the INT gems before he/she gets their endgame gear with INT on it.

Great jewel, if that is any indication there are good things in store for the lazy pally in 2.0.
Improved the headings throughout and added item links and better prose in the flask section of the 2.0 guide today.
That jewel looks great :)

Can't wait for 2.0 to go live, I think it will be great to be a lazy pally!

I am thinking of tring this build.

Is it great for farming ? beat the game ?

I currently play a kinetic blast build, and I am looking for something more tanky, but as fast...

Thank you !!
"
monkthekey wrote:

I currently play a kinetic blast build, and I am looking for something more tanky, but as fast...

I have never played Kinetic Blast but from what I've heard it can clear whole screens at once. No, no melee tank build will do that. However, melee is more fun for many including myself, and in 2.0 at least if it stays the way things are right now in beta, glass cannons will be a thing of the past, certainly in hardcore or at high levels if you actually want to progress. Also, this build works very well on a small budget, under 10ex. No glass cannon can be comfortable on a 10ex budget. :) Something to think about.
I've been playing this build and it's been doing well for me. I'm going to have to take a break for a couple weeks due to travel, but I wanted to comment. I'm pretty much a noob, and I'm still working on understanding a lot of the game's nuances, but I have played a “lazy pally” up to level 66 at this point, and it has gone a LOT smoother than my previous attempts to reach the endgame. Following a guide by someone who knows what they are doing makes a big difference haha.

I haven't yet been able to hit all of the guide's recommended gem linkages due to being slow to acquire gear with the right sockets, etc - for example, I only have a 4-link for Static Strike right now, and I've been using one of those links for Blood Magic because of mana problems. So in recent levels I've been running Static Strike linked to Melee Physical Damage, Multistrike, and Blood Magic, which is a lot less dps than the recommended setup. However, I think I might be able to cut the Blood Magic now or soon, for a Weapon Elemental Damage, which would be a boost. When I get an acceptable 5-link chest that will be a boost as well. The other things that I don't have up and running yet are, I haven't yet been able to link up a Curse on Hit and Enfeeble to my counter-attacks, and I haven't yet been able to set up the CWDT/Immortal Call linkage (I do have CWDT/Enduring Cry). But in looking at the 2.0 guide, it sounds as if these recommendations may change, so when I come back from my trip and start playing again, maybe 2.0 will be live and I'll have some other things to work on.

But despite not yet being able to hit the full setup, what I've got already feels quite strong for where I am. Typical large packs are trivial, and usually even multiple large packs at once, with blues/yellows mixed in seem pretty trivial. I can usually just Leeroy Jenkins full rooms. Occasionally I've died when, after clearing stuff really easily for a long while, I get complacent and then run into some unexpected burst and get stunned or something. My first death, though, was late in Act 2 Cruel, which I think speaks to the stength of the build since I'm relatively inexperienced. I died a few times on Cruel Dominus before clearing that, but I was able to clear Merciless Vaal Oversoul without dying, which was cool. It took a long time. I mostly attacked only when it was summoning guys, and just ran around the rest of the time. My dps was pretty low, so it lasted a long time.

I'm a little worried about 2.0 because I won't have the new quest reward gems. I guess I can trade for them if need be. I do have a 14% Cyclone gem, so that could be a good start if that ends up being the go-to attack. I had been thinking about investing in a unique shield purchase, and I'm glad I read the preliminary 2.0 guide before doing so - since you're recommending skipping evasion stuff, I opted for trading for a Lionseye's Remorse over a Temu. I'll be able to use that when I hit 70, which should be pretty cool. It was more expensive than Temu would have been, but I plan on using it pretty long-term, so hopefully worth it. I got one with a high armor roll in the possible range (243%), but a life roll not very near the high end (in the low 80's, can't remember exactly.) I've also traded for a Stone of Lazhwar and a The Anvil. Neither with a useful corruption. Maybe I can get a good corrupted one later on if I make it deep into the late game. I did The Anvil trade earlier on, and I think it was strong, but I got tired of the movement and dps penalties, so then I got Lazhwar. But they both seem useful to have, so maybe it's not a waste. I think that's about all I'm going to trade for at the moment, because I want to see if I can save up into Exalt territory to try to get a Doryani's Catalyst. It might take me a while. I do have 2 divine orbs though, which is a start. I mean if I cashed in pretty much everything of value I could probably do it now, but I'm not going to do that. My weapon right now is a 150-dps blue, but I imagine I'll find some good upgrades to that before long.

Here's a noob question - with the keystone that removes your crit chance but makes your strikes unable to be evaded, both crit and accuracy stats on gear do absolutely nothing, right? Like there's not some separate “miss” chance that's different from “evade” that accuracy would help with right?

I was also wondering how reliable the tooltip and character sheet dps numbers are. If those numbers go up a with a gear change, will I definitely be doing more dps? Or are there things I should consider that those data points don't take into account?

Also, if dps is equal, is it better to have a fast weapon or a slow weapon?

I'll probably have more questions later. I'm looking forward to trying to get into maps with this, and see if I can progress.

Anyhow, it's a very nice guide and following it has allowed me to do a lot better than I have in the past. Thanks!
Last edited by Kamina100 on May 31, 2015, 3:57:47 AM
"
Kamina100 wrote:
I've been playing this build and it's been doing well for me

Anyhow, it's a very nice guide and following it has allowed me to do a lot better than I have in the past. Thanks!

Hi Kamina, Thanks so much for your detailed comments and welcome to the fold.

If you can't make Weapon Elemental Damage work, try Faster Attacks or if not that, Added Fire Damage. These are lower mana cost options. Check to see what gives you the most damage and mana sustainability out of these.

What I usually recommend for people to get a cheap 5-link chest is to use poe.trade (here's a link to the right type of search: http://poe.trade/search/etazuronosuwah ) and search for a plain white 5-link chest for 1 or 2 chaos. Then, quality it with your armourer's scraps then use an Orb of Alchemy on it. Look for a good life roll (70+) and a couple resists. Sometimes I get this on the first roll, other times I have to progress to using a few chaos orbs on it. Bottom line, it's usually cheaper than buying a finished item with acceptable stats.

Don't worry about gems in 2.0, there are new tabs on the vendors (Nessa, Yeena, Clarissa, and the new guy/gal duo in Act 4) that sell you most/all the gems (for cheap!) that you would have been able to get from the quests you have completed. They even have some experience on them! So, as you have killed General in act 3 normal difficulty already, you should be able to go talk to Clarissa and pick up your Ice Crash right away when 2.0 comes out.

Lioneye's is a good choice... don't worry about corruption it's only a minor power boost for tweaking your ultimate suit later.

Your 2 divines can probably buy a Doryani's Catalyst if you check the poe.trade site often for a low seller. You are very close at least. Your damage will go up a lot, it's worth it.

With Resolute Technique (RT) we hit 100% of the time which means consistent leech and no worries about accuracy to hit the monsters. No, accuracy and critical chance/multiplier do absolutely nothing once we have RT. For us they don't do much even if we don't take RT....! For example on a relatively new lazy pally on Beta that didn't take RT, taking the whole Disemboweling cluster added maybe 50 dps. Talk about a waste of points. :)

Generally the tooltip dps number does indicate a better or worse setup BUT, there is a big but.... it does depend on the resistances of the given monsters you are fighting and the type of damage you are doing. For example if you run into an elemental resistant monster and you are doing mostly elemental damage (fire etc.) then a physical damage skill that does less tooltip damage may actually be more effective. I think generally speaking physical damage is resisted less than elemental because monsters usually have a low armor value whereas they tend to have higher elemental resists. In 1.3, Static Strike posted such higher dps numbers, especially considering the explosions not shown on the tooltip, than our prior best choice, reave, did that it was the obvious choice.

Slow, hard hitting one handed weapons help you sustain your mana a lot more easily as the mana is deducted each time you swing your weapon. Fast weapons help you to be more mobile as with multistrike you are 'rooted' in place for the time it takes to complete the three swings. Certain movement skills look at the weapon speed as well like Whirling Blades, so a faster weapon would help you zip around more swiftly in that case. There is a balance here.
"
Kamina100 wrote:
But in looking at the 2.0 guide, it sounds as if these recommendations may change, so when I come back from my trip and start playing again, maybe 2.0 will be live and I'll have some other things to work on.

I'm a little worried about 2.0 because I won't have the new quest reward gems. I guess I can trade for them if need be. I do have a 14% Cyclone gem, so that could be a good start if that ends up being the go-to attack. I had been thinking about investing in a unique shield purchase, and I'm glad I read the preliminary 2.0 guide before doing so - since you're recommending skipping evasion stuff, I opted for trading for a Lionseye's Remorse over a Temu. I'll be able to use that when I hit 70, which should be pretty cool. It was more expensive than Temu would have been, but I plan on using it pretty long-term, so hopefully worth it. I got one with a high armor roll in the possible range (243%), but a life roll not very near the high end (in the low 80's, can't remember exactly.) I've also traded for a Stone of Lazhwar and a The Anvil. Neither with a useful corruption. Maybe I can get a good corrupted one later on if I make it deep into the late game. I did The Anvil trade earlier on, and I think it was strong, but I got tired of the movement and dps penalties, so then I got Lazhwar. But they both seem useful to have, so maybe it's not a waste. I think that's about all I'm going to trade for at the moment, because I want to see if I can save up into Exalt territory to try to get a Doryani's Catalyst. It might take me a while. I do have 2 divine orbs though, which is a start. I mean if I cashed in pretty much everything of value I could probably do it now, but I'm not going to do that. My weapon right now is a 150-dps blue, but I imagine I'll find some good upgrades to that before long.

Here's a noob question - with the keystone that removes your crit chance but makes your strikes unable to be evaded, both crit and accuracy stats on gear do absolutely nothing, right? Like there's not some separate “miss” chance that's different from “evade” that accuracy would help with right?

I was also wondering how reliable the tooltip and character sheet dps numbers are. If those numbers go up a with a gear change, will I definitely be doing more dps? Or are there things I should consider that those data points don't take into account?

Also, if dps is equal, is it better to have a fast weapon or a slow weapon?

I'll probably have more questions later. I'm looking forward to trying to get into maps with this, and see if I can progress.

I'll try to answer some of these questions for you. As far as gem quest rewards, don't worry! In beta you can acquire all of the gems you need without a problem. Until release, they may still change rewards, but because of gem vendors, etc it wasn't hard to get what you need.

I had the same problem you did with the anvil initially. But it does have some amazing defensive attributes. The downside in movespeed and attack speed can hurt if you aren't geared right. I did finally get it equipped in my mid 50s and it gives you this big-rig-semi-truck feel. The only two things that even hurt me are in masters quest. Vagan sometimes almost one-shots me with some of his flicker strikes, and one of the haku quests where the boss summons tons of lightning totems can hurt. Nothing else really penetrates my defenses.

Yes, with resolute technique, you don't need to worry about accuracy or crit change/modifier on your gear since all of the abilities we use are attack based.

As far as DPS, the tooltip, and attack speed goes it does make a difference but it depends on your current situation. The tooltip numbers are mostly accurate, but they can be deceptive for things like ice crash since there are different areas of damage in the AoE. So all things aren't equal there. A monster close to you won't take the same damage as one who is far from you. If you are having mana issues, a higher base damage will help you as you will hit harder for the same mana cost and you will have more time to recover said mana, where a fast attack speed will drain your mana quickly and do less damage per hit (per the same dps number) Early on with ice crash while leveling, I needed a higher dps lower attack speed weapon to make my mana pool more managable, but after my base physical damage increased (which multiplied my leech back) then the faster attack speed became more beneficial. A higher attack speed gives you more chances to interrupt attacks/abilities as well. Technically I would always prefer a slower weapon with more damage on it as attack speed nodes and faster attacks will compensate, where as a super fast but lighter hitting weapon will gain less from % based nodes. It can be great both ways and I have gone back and forth as I've leveled. Brightbeak did eat my mana up with ice crash early on though! Faster attack speed also helps on your movement abilities such as leap slam too.
Last edited by damelon on May 31, 2015, 7:48:47 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info