[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

I have just tried Soul Taker with lightning to physical. Compared to Doryani's, it's lacking 5k Dps. The attack speed and constant static strike is quite fun though.
"
ToasterCow wrote:
I have just tried Soul Taker with lightning to physical. Compared to Doryani's, it's lacking 5k Dps. The attack speed and constant static strike is quite fun though.

Thanks for testing it, glad it lined up with my advice.

I can sustain constant attacks with static strike with 2% mana leech and a level 20 reduced mana on the auras/buffs. However, one does have to be careful to always be next to a monster, something you would not have to worry about with Soul Taker.
Have you consider using Wings of Entropy Sundering Axe?
You dont have max block but instead gain some dps...
"
Have you consider using Wings of Entropy Sundering Axe?
You dont have max block but instead gain some dps...

Sure it has crossed my mind. I already do as much damage as my friend's WoE build. That said, there may be better WoE builds out there.... two handers seriously need a buff. In any case, this is a max block sword and board build. Thanks for your question though! :)
I'm probably gonna take a break from PoE until Act 4 comes out. I don't really wanna keep playing and burn my self out at this point, and feel it's better to take a break and then come back for Act 4 release with renewed enthusiasm :)

If things don't change too much come Act 4 I might consider playing the build as a Scion next league (if it's still on paper the overall better choice as some have pointed out this league). I might even see if I can make a skill progression guide for Scion for the build in case Sovyn would be interested in that.

I'll keep my eyes on the forums and this thread and might even pop into the game once Torment has finished to clean up my stash, hehe

Have fun Lazy Pallies :)
"
Stefacle wrote:
I'm probably gonna take a break from PoE until Act 4 comes out. I don't really wanna keep playing and burn my self out at this point, and feel it's better to take a break and then come back for Act 4 release with renewed enthusiasm :)

If things don't change too much come Act 4 I might consider playing the build as a Scion next league (if it's still on paper the overall better choice as some have pointed out this league). I might even see if I can make a skill progression guide for Scion for the build in case Sovyn would be interested in that.

Enjoy your break Stefacle! :)

I'm expecting good things for act 4.

I'd imagine that the skill tree will change somewhat and Templar may once again be the best choice. I think it's still quite competitive in 1.3 for the build.

I'd be happy to have any contribution to the guide as maintaining the progression builds for one class is plenty of work already. I don't want to start a separate thread though.
Hi Sovyn!

First, I'd like to say, this build is AWESOME. It's easy to level, plenty of different gear choices, nearly effortless to play, great survivability, exceptional damage model, and most importantly....FUN!

I've currently got a level 83 Templar, well geared (not great, but not bad), with 3600 HP, and 16k dmg with buffs and frenzy stacks (from blood rage). I've got my resists maxed, except for chaos which is still quite low. I can solo level 73 maps, and depending on the mods it's either super easy or somewhat difficult, but more often than not I fair pretty well.

So I have a few questions. First, since you took points out of Shaper and Inner Force, how are you managing mana? Even with Shaper, I still end up running out of mana during sustained attacks more than 10 seconds. I have not respecd yet, but I am concerned I will be having mana issues once I do. I have 1% mana leech on my gloves, which is nice, but it's not quite enough. Most of the respec is for survivability, which I don't need right now (farming 68-71 maps). Should I go for Strong Arm and Retribution before Herbalism and Unrelenting? I suppose I could do a combo...

Also, I'm starting to think I need to start upgrading my gear soon, before I can take on the harder maps. I know my rings aren't very good and I could do with a better chest. Any advice on gear and what I should focus on?

Finally, how important is that 4% block chance from Slashing Comeback? There has to be a better way to spend those points. I'm sure you've considered it, and probably have mentioned already, but I had to ask.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABS0GOQkzDH0M9xB_FCAVIBm0GjgaPhuXG60kiypNLOkvzDJONZI8LT0PPeI_J0CgQYdHfkjuSshM_08EUEdRYFb6WfNeE18_YEti7GVNZ5to8m6qcql07XfXd-N4rnk5eu982X7ifyuCx4LkhNmE74qviuSQEZBVm-yiAKmVrKqsr64-r2yvp7Xytoq3Pr02vqe-vMAawL_BgsT2xp7GrsrT0TbTftaK2L3iLORR7g7vDu968B_yL_MG9qP3Mvno-6r-Cg==
"
MackBolan42 wrote:
Hi Sovyn!

First, I'd like to say, this build is AWESOME. It's easy to level, plenty of different gear choices, nearly effortless to play, great survivability, exceptional damage model, and most importantly....FUN!

Hi Mack, glad you are enjoying the build :)

Mana - I take Unrelenting earlier now instead of inner force and the reduced mana cost of skills, along with 2% mana leech, is enough to sustain attacks even on half regen maps. Of course I had no problem at all with the Shaper spec either. You do have to make sure to always be near at least one monster while attacking to regain your mana. I have enough free mana now that there is some forgiveness on that.

Not a big deal on the respec.... you can wait for the 1.4 revision really as the difference in DPS is small especially at your level, maybe 1-2K tops. I just did that revision for new people trying the build as technically I think it's a little bit better. I tried to lay out the progression builds the way I would do it but I know 10 point steps can seem large sometimes... I'd go for a combo of life and damage if you can, yes.

Gear - rings, one with 2% mana leech, some chaos resist here and there, flat physical, life, just keep an eye out each day on poe.trade you will find something nicer for under 10 chaos apiece eventually. Then save up for Doryani's Catalyst.

Slashing Comeback - unfortunately in 1.3 they hid the last required block points behind some sword nodes but just look at it as traveling the tree, I mean we would spend 4 dex nodes or whatever to get there anyway without worrying about it. It's not that far. The general idea I think GGG had for 1.3 was to make it so that glass cannon builds could not just swoop up a few nodes and have max block too.
Today's update --

"
03-21-2015 -- Revised flask section slightly

I had not taken a look at the flask section of the guide in something like 18 months. Added mention of the "new" unique DPS flasks that came out since then (for those that want to work a bit harder!).
Heya Sovyn, gratz on BOTW and thanks for the build and guide. I had looked at it a few times over the past year or so, and finally decided to try it two weeks ago on Bloodlines.

I have tried HC numerous times, usually ripping in mid 40's hehehe. I did get a Scion (ZiggyD's EK build) to lvl 71 during the 2 week charity race.

With a character age of 14 days, 8 hours and change, and starting with 3 wisdom scrolls and a rusty sword, my duelist got this;

and completed the BL challenge along the way at level 68.

Current Gear

As you can see, I need to do some major work; specifically chest, rings, ammy and belt.

Since I don't have anywhere near ~30% armor, I have decided to wait on the last 3 block nodes, and instead put them into the scion life wheel for now. Once I hit lvl 84, I will respec those points into the Templar life nodes + pathing. Hopefully by then I will have a better chest.

While I have had a few close calls, this build does indeed seem to be HC vialble :D

Edit; I dislike diaper-wearing, arrogant old men.....hence the duelist lmao.
17/04/2021 https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3082616/page/1
"We tell people that Path of Exile league starts are a fair playing field for everyone, and we need to actually make sure that is the reality."

A BLATANT LIE by the HMFIIC.
Perhaps GGG should consider a leadership change.
Last edited by Bjorn_Angannon on Mar 22, 2015, 6:01:16 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info