[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Stefacle wrote:

Chris did hint at some love for melee in the upcoming expansion, so we can always hope for some good new melee unique weapons. Maybe a good one handed sword as an alternative to Doryani's Catalyst :)

Yes, looking forward to it. :) Rare weapons are an alternative but ridiculously expensive for equivalent performance.
Updated my current gear section today. As those who have followed my thread for the last few months know I've been trying out Doryani's Catalyst off and on and have decided to switch to it for a while. I think it's an excellent budget* option thus sets a better example.

* "Budget" for high level folks who trade at least casually, that is.

I did have to switch to leap slam which I don't care for. RIP whirling blades.

All other gear still same-o.

DPS went up but I have not updated screen shots yet, I suppose I'll wait for static to hit level 19 as it's just about there. Should be 56K I would imagine.
Hey sovyn, i have been following your thread for a while no as the zealadin of diablo 2 was my absolute favorite character archtype in any game for a long time.

I wish the attacks had better auto lock and engage function but we make do. After following a rough tree for a max block build ive branched out into a couple of different areas and skipped the block node behind the sword wheel in favor of getting more damage elsewhere.

Heh now after looking at everything ive done turns out my lazy pally turned into just another aegis soul taker variant lol but using the retaliation gems to effect.

I went with soul taker as it allows me to reserve herald of ice/ash and run hatred and tempest shield and i have 28mana left over for my movement skill which is shield charge which i though is appropriate for this build. (PS GGG Buff shield charge)

Here is my gear anyhow most proud of my gloves ;D

Spoiler

this puts me at 29k on the tooltip at level 70
Last edited by stormyknight on Mar 4, 2015, 7:25:35 PM
"
stormyknight wrote:
Hey sovyn, i have been following your thread for a while no as the zealadin of diablo 2 was my absolute favorite character archtype in any game for a long time.

Hello stormyknight :)

My first D2 character was a charge pally. I think I made it through Hell difficulty with him (there were only 4 acts then).

Back to PoE, some nice gear there and nice DPS for your level assuming no flask. I tried shield charge again recently and the desync is much better after the recent patch, making it usable but I don't care too much for the animation delay after the movement bit. Still, very workable skill and apt as you say which also occurred to me while toying around with it.
Today's update on ongoing testing --

Inner Force / Shaper / Devotion - We used to take inner force way back before patch 0.11.0 but dropped it after that nerf. It did seem to make sense to take these three notables again in 1.3.0 as IF is a bit closer and the 11 points provide us with the following benefits:

- 14% life
- some DPS (1,918 tooltip / 3,261 calculated DPS with Static Strike or 1,838 DPS with Reave)
- 40% mana regen
- 1% life regen which helps sustain blood rage
- 60 strength
- 10 intelligence
- 1% additional block from TS

While the above is good for 11 points I wanted to see if it could be improved upon. So yesterday I got busy with the regrets.

My plan is to take Unrelenting sooner (it was in the final tree already) as that should cover the loss of the mana regen from shaper and provides 20% life as well. Net gain was 73 life, not a big deal but better. So that kills 4 of the 11 available points.

Due to losing the 1% block from TS we take the last remaining 1% block node available to us on the tree (after Solidity). So that's 5 points down.

For the remaining points I first tested the 5 best elemental damage nodes (60 elemental damage total) in the Templar area as that's what most people tend to go for. I tested these way back and was not too impressed which still holds true. Results: 2,377 tooltip / 4,040 calculated DPS with Static Strike or a sad 1,612 DPS with Reave. As I want to ensure that all attack skills are treated fairly I felt I could do better.

In 1.2 we took Strong Arm in the Marauder area and as I recall it was quite good. So I took that and also took the melee damage and attack speed with shield nodes down by Retaliation sooner (we take them in the final tree of course but most won't make it to 100). Cost 4 points, 5 if we keep the 40% shield defenses node. Results: 3,546 tooltip / 6,028 calculated DPS with Static Strike or 4,239 DPS with Reave. This is more like it and reinforces my inclination in the past to always go for the physical nodes.

So that's what I'm thinking, overall this stuff is all minor one way or the other but may help with some of the "huh?" factor I'm getting around inner force. Here is my current tree (I have one point remaining and I may spec out of that 40% shield defenses node and grab Amplify.)
Hi folks. Im having a lot of fun with this build.
Its very eas to play and not for that less good than any other that i have traied.

I have 2 Crest of Perandus a Brightbeak and Screaming Eagle for any who want to try this build as a manner of giving thank to the community.
Sorry for the Crap English.

One more thing, when you say to take sooner Unrelenting, we are talking at wich level. Now im at level 60 and could be very helpful I think...

"
Sovyn wrote:
Today's update on ongoing testing --

Inner Force / Shaper / Devotion - We used to take inner force way back before patch 0.11.0 but dropped it after that nerf. It did seem to make sense to take these three notables again in 1.3.0 as IF is a bit closer and the 11 points provide us with the following benefits:

- 14% life
- some DPS (1,918 tooltip / 3,261 calculated DPS with Static Strike or 1,838 DPS with Reave)
- 40% mana regen
- 1% life regen which helps sustain blood rage
- 60 strength
- 10 intelligence
- 1% additional block from TS

While the above is good for 11 points I wanted to see if it could be improved upon. So yesterday I got busy with the regrets.

My plan is to take Unrelenting sooner (it was in the final tree already) as that should cover the loss of the mana regen from shaper and provides 20% life as well. Net gain was 73 life, not a big deal but better. So that kills 4 of the 11 available points.

Due to losing the 1% block from TS we take the last remaining 1% block node available to us on the tree (after Solidity). So that's 5 points down.

For the remaining points I first tested the 5 best elemental damage nodes (60 elemental damage total) in the Templar area as that's what most people tend to go for. I tested these way back and was not too impressed which still holds true. Results: 2,377 tooltip / 4,040 calculated DPS with Static Strike or a sad 1,612 DPS with Reave. As I want to ensure that all attack skills are treated fairly I felt I could do better.

In 1.2 we took Strong Arm in the Marauder area and as I recall it was quite good. So I took that and also took the melee damage and attack speed with shield nodes down by Retaliation sooner (we take them in the final tree of course but most won't make it to 100). Cost 4 points, 5 if we keep the 40% shield defenses node. Results: 3,546 tooltip / 6,028 calculated DPS with Static Strike or 4,239 DPS with Reave. This is more like it and reinforces my inclination in the past to always go for the physical nodes.

So that's what I'm thinking, overall this stuff is all minor one way or the other but may help with some of the "huh?" factor I'm getting around inner force. Here is my current tree (I have one point remaining and I may spec out of that 40% shield defenses node and grab Amplify.)
"
One more thing, when you say to take sooner Unrelenting, we are talking at wich level. Now im at level 60 and could be very helpful I think...

Hello IngenieroPeronista!

Glad you are having fun.

If you need Unrelenting, grab it now, it's not a waste of points.

I'll tweak the leveling builds eventually.
Today's changelog update -

"
03-07-2015 -- Minor skill tree improvements

(I made those minor changes I talked about above.)

Next I need to update the DPS screenshots and numbers as it's gone up a bit due to a combination of a lot of little things like gems leveling, tree updates, etc. I'll also post a peak dps and sustained dps screenshot this time. The peak is of course the most impressive (obviously not in glass cannon territory but still). Probably get around to this tomorrow.
Last edited by Sovyn on Mar 8, 2015, 3:52:18 AM
If I could afford all the shields, which one would be the best pick for this build?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info