[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

Hi all,

i really enjoy playing this build.
Currently lvl 52, i'm thinking about purhcase a daresso's courage shield.
It seems to me the best choice after rare 38% block shield.

I wonder why in the guide Sovyn mention first aegis aurora. I heard a lot of things about this "amazing" shield, but i don't understand how it could be so useful ?
"
gilgameshsan wrote:
Hi all,

i really enjoy playing this build.
Currently lvl 52, i'm thinking about purhcase a daresso's courage shield.
It seems to me the best choice after rare 38% block shield.

I wonder why in the guide Sovyn mention first aegis aurora. I heard a lot of things about this "amazing" shield, but i don't understand how it could be so useful ?

Hi. :) I mention Crest of Perandus first, as that's probably the best affordable shield for most people.

Daresso's is fine, but the block is low, so best combined with BoR or Anvil.

The honorable mention uniques are not ordered in any type of preference. Aegis is mostly great if you are rich and can get a legacy one. Then, if you have some ES, you can regen that ES every time you block, which provides an additional buffer against smaller hits. Against really big hits, not too helpful, but quite powerful nonetheless. Makes folks feel immortal much of the time. That's why it was nerfed in 1.1.
Thanks a lot Sovyn for answering again and again.
At level 72, my Duelist on Standard has broken 10K DPS, though he only has 3400 health.

I'm a bit bored of him though, so I'm starting my first guy on Ambush! This time, I still plan to start Duelist (honestly, I identify with him, because my hairstyle matches his and my favorite color is red), but I will be following Sovyn's build exactly.

I will post updates on my progress. If you want, you guys can add me at "__Agamemnon_II__" (named after my original Duelist in the parent league. 2 underscores on either side).

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgQAmSubLb2Bq8VHfmVNhNluaVjbJd--p1PfG_rSTZuDrK-kGcAPhO_nkQHcdO3Dhr6Keu94DWBLqW5YrwUttfLRNhc-NuhuqgHnSsinMCSbPycUcRQggIoqTfjrUEf3TRUg6hgYkSzp9zJEgd0NcqnxivzFrKp82SdPVvpnoFnz7g50QYd2wBoa2yP2d9dKfZBVZp7Xy-_wfyunhPrSt9NaSNaKGjgdFHB9Nuk94kw1qZWAViSq42pI7ijFT30ZhRut875RYIPb_EvOcWwW

Here's the tree I plan to use, for a Cleave build.

Oh, and I made this earlier. Not a bad Chest imo.

Last edited by K0rrupted on Mar 23, 2014, 8:33:05 PM
"
K0rrupted wrote:

Oh, and I made this earlier. Not a bad Chest imo.

Nice chest!

Starting a new character as a Duelist might be a bit less smooth than the Templar as it will take time to reach RT and block clusters, but it will work in the end. 10K DPS is not too hard to surpass with this build.
"
gilgameshsan wrote:

It's just because of the 4% (on legacy) regained Energy Shield per Block.
If you have, for any reason, an Aegis Aurora - I would trade Evasion for Energy Shield Nodes then ... at least get the additional wheel just outside of the Templar tree.

If you have a lot of Energy Shield you can indeed feel immortal - at least that is what my theorycrafting tells me.

For us normal players Sovyn's tree is pretty perfect already, it's much easier to get an standard high block evasion shield and stacking Armour on the other equipment.

Also uniques like the Anvil (think of the +Health/Mana on Block!) or Stone of Lazhwar (just uber for Spell Block, +Max Mana/Int also doesn't hurt us with no -% reserved for Auras) are pretty cheap to get.

What I like on this build is, that it is very easy to get good defenses imho. The only downsides I encountered (in theorycrafting, did not play it yet) are:

- low mana (may have problems with higher-cost-attacks and lots of support gems, but he mentioned that in the guide)
- probably not being able to support two Auras until late into the game (depending on how good your self-found equipment is), but at least one aura (+ eventually low-level Clarity) should be no problem)
- damage is dependent on affixes of weapon. +% physical and +static physical and +% attack speed are your best friends with this build ... unfortunately those are also the most expensive ones. So to reach considerably "good" damage in late game you probably have to invest more than other builds
- it's not really an endgame build, no crit limits damage potential considerably: Although (!) I have no experience if a decent weapon could deal sufficient damage for party run's on higher levels - maybe it's enough, but somehow I doubt it for 6-group-75+ runs ... at least you can be the blocker who soaks all the damage so the other can deal their one-shot's from safe range :p
That's what I do with a friend running some maps...he deals high damage via Fire Traps but dies easily, so I just run and Leap Slam around before him so every monster focuses on me while he kills them from a distance. Works nicely though we haven't gone higher than 70s maps yet (I'm at 72).
scroogetemplar / scroogewitch / scroogemarauder

Freezing Pulser (safe + affordable): https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1529856
"
Sovyn wrote:
Nice chest!

Starting a new character as a Duelist might be a bit less smooth than the Templar as it will take time to reach RT and block clusters, but it will work in the end. 10K DPS is not too hard to surpass with this build.

I think Duelist's start is more efficient than Templar's start in this build, but Duelists run into trouble during Cruel because they have to waste multiple nodes traveling out of Duelistland and into Rangerland (and in this case, running around Marauderland and into Templarland). But in this case, it ends up being the same thing, and Duelists are also closer to Ondar's Guile and strong Ranger clusters.

If I'm still playing PoE in a few months, I'll probably respec into a Reave build when this guy goes to Standard, should only take a couple points.
Last edited by K0rrupted on Mar 24, 2014, 10:46:03 AM
"
daish0 wrote:

What I like on this build is, that it is very easy to get good defenses imho. The only downsides I encountered (in theorycrafting, did not play it yet) are:

- low mana (may have problems with higher-cost-attacks and lots of support gems, but he mentioned that in the guide)
- probably not being able to support two Auras until late into the game (depending on how good your self-found equipment is), but at least one aura (+ eventually low-level Clarity) should be no problem)
- damage is dependent on affixes of weapon. +% physical and +static physical and +% attack speed are your best friends with this build ... unfortunately those are also the most expensive ones. So to reach considerably "good" damage in late game you probably have to invest more than other builds
- it's not really an endgame build, no crit limits damage potential considerably: Although (!) I have no experience if a decent weapon could deal sufficient damage for party run's on higher levels - maybe it's enough, but somehow I doubt it for 6-group-75+ runs ... at least you can be the blocker who soaks all the damage so the other can deal their one-shot's from safe range :p

Low mana - true - but reave, ground slam, or cleave are usable with arguably their best supports. These attacks are just fine, especially the first two.

Auras - false - can run two auras early on by linking blood magic support to attack skill. When you get level 18 reduced mana (can trade for one, cheap) and a little mana regen/+mana on gear (cheap) can run two auras and attack skill off mana, adding damage support instead of BM gem.

Weapon expense relative to other builds - false - any build requires an expensive item to be the best it can be. Crit builds, say daggers, require other mods that are very expensive as well when perfect.

Low Damage - false - physical damage is more effective than inflated elemental damage claims you see around, and with RT, it's consistent. Damage potential up to 30K+ Physical AOE DPS with the best gear. I recall a fellow that made it to level 100 with essentially a clone of my build and posted a thread with the best gear and showed this is possible. Mirror gear obviously, but everyone that's around bragging about their damage, with any build, is running mirror gear. Just the way it is. What this build does is balance survivability with damage.

Endgame - many people have cleared upper 70s maps with ease in their 80s with this build and posted about it in this very thread. Sorry you missed it. Also see said level 100 guy I mentioned above. :)
So I can do that build in Invasion league and go with reave? Reave seems to be fun and can you explain why it is best endgame?
And why dont you take Elemental Adaption? Its only 2 points away and gives +2% max resists
Last edited by korzasa on Mar 24, 2014, 4:20:27 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info