[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
ajahajah wrote:

Should I respec to add more elemental resist? Please advise.

Hello there ajahajah. :)

I am sorry to hear that you are stuck. Having maxed out elemental resists is important.

However, it is quite easy to max them out with this build as we have some decent resists from the tree. You could go ahead and take the second 'elemental resistance with shields' node ahead of when I recommend getting it. That will give you another 10%.

It comes down to a basic gearing problem. The good news is that the cruel resistance penalty is not very high compared to merciless, so just a little of each resist here and there on your gear will max you out.

Best of luck and let us know if you have any other questions.
"
siontheman wrote:
just need to know though guys how I can possibly even go 6l with 2 auras too? for when I get my BOR..

I would suggest HS + multi + melee dmg on full life + stun on the BoR, that will enable you to use the 2 auras. You may be able to change out the stun for added fire damage when you have your reduced mana gem linked to auras to level 20. There may be some combination of other tweaks that would help with that also. Let us know how it works for you when you actually have a BoR or 6L of your own and I'll be happy to help.
"
Quixote77 wrote:
Hello fellow lazy pallys. First off, a massive thanks to Sovyn for the guide. My templar is my second most further character at level 47 and my fav thus far! My first build, a physical crit ranger, was too gear reliant and struggled to level 71, overleveling and unable to farm properly.

The lazy pally is able to tank and solo all of the places up to where I am at the moment, Act 3 Cruel, at an affordable budget. (Thanks to the guide, I also have a newfound appreciation for heavy strike!)

Hello Quixote77! Thanks for sharing your success so far. :)

I know what you mean about some other builds, been there, done that.

It's nice to just cruise along, relatively speaking. The game is meant to be hard, harder than the games put out by the snowstorm folks I believe, but the lazy pally is one of the easiest overall ways to get there (which is refreshing to some folks, like me.)
"
McCloude wrote:
So when the patch hits and changes the damage taken gem. How will you run it Sovyn?

We can either:

1) leave cast when damage taken at level 1 and link it with level 5 enduring cry and level 7 molten shell for more frequent casting;

2) level cast when damage taken to level 4 and link with enduring cry at level 7 and molten shell at level 9.

I don't think it matters much which way we do it, but I'll give it some thought.

It's an across the board nerf to everyone, as everyone uses cast when damage taken. However, for us, there is still nothing better to put in those sockets.
I'm not a big math guy. However, here is the amount of armour gained from molten shell per damage taken, for each level of the cast when damage taken gem (rounded to two decimal places):

Level 1 -- 0.67
Level 2 -- 0.71
Level 3 -- 0.62
Level 4 -- 0.65
Level 5 -- 0.58
Level 6 -- 0.59
Level 7 -- 0.53
Level 8 -- 0.54
Level 9 -- 0.53
Level 10 -- 0.48
Level 11 -- 0.47
Level 12 -- 0.46

As you can see, level 2 is the best level for cast when damage taken after the patch, per the amount of armour gained from molten shell per unit of damage taken.
"
Sovyn wrote:
I'm not a big math guy. However, here is the amount of armour gained from molten shell per damage taken, for each level of the cast when damage taken gem (rounded to two decimal places):

Level 1 -- 0.67
Level 2 -- 0.71
Level 3 -- 0.62
Level 4 -- 0.65
Level 5 -- 0.58
Level 6 -- 0.59
Level 7 -- 0.53
Level 8 -- 0.54
Level 9 -- 0.53
Level 10 -- 0.48
Level 11 -- 0.47
Level 12 -- 0.46

As you can see, level 2 is the best level for cast when damage taken after the patch, per the amount of armour gained from molten shell per unit of damage taken.

Ok, I get the same numbers as you do. Using this.. it would be:

lvl 2 cast on damage
lvl 5 enduring
lvl 5 enfeeble
lvl 8 molten

So above is if we use the ratio of armor for damage taken. At the higher levels, what is the incoming damage like? 440 goes off a lot. Is the different of a few gem levels noticeable as we start on more challenging maps?
"
McCloude wrote:
At the higher levels, what is the incoming damage like? 440 goes off a lot. Is the different of a few gem levels noticeable as we start on more challenging maps?

I don't see it going off as much as I'd like at level 1, even in the end of act 3 merciless/maps. I just don't get hit that much.

It's still nice as I think it does substantially reduce the likelihood that a small hit would be followed by by a larger hit.

I just did merciless Piety without any retreating and barely taking any damage. I think cast when damage taken went off maybe 5 or 6 times, that's at level 1. I don't recall my life ever going down more than, say, 1500 at any one time.

So, as I said earlier, it probably does not matter much if we level this a bit more or not, but I may try leaving it at 1 or 2 after that patch and see how it goes rather than doing anything in a knee-jerk fashion.
Wow. What a build! This is the third build my Templar has gone through and probably the last. I've been using this build since the passive tree reset on release (my latest build was ruined by the passive tree changes).

I am a semi- 'wealthy' exile. I crafted a soul taker a few months ago (really lucky, always carried orbs of chance and would pick up glorious plates and siege axes to chance them). I traded 2 Rainbow Strides and a Marohi Erqi for a Bringer of Rain. The other items I already had or were really easy to trade for.

I am now min-maxing and running into trouble because a) I suck at it. b) I really suck at it.

Linked my items, passive tree and a screen shot of offense and defense windows. Ignore the items in the shield slots. I was playing with the idea of tempest shield a while ago and use the Item Quantity gem on low level maps and solo content.

Can you guys pretty please help with recommendations on best in slot and potential changes to the passive tree? I know I have more than maxed out block with my items and have more resists than needed.

Items:
Spoiler

Passive Tree:

Screens:
Offense

Defense No Aura

Defense With Auras

"
Dongaldo wrote:
Wow. What a build! This is the third build my Templar has gone through and probably the last. I've been using this build since the passive tree reset on release (my latest build was ruined by the passive tree changes).

I am a semi- 'wealthy' exile. I crafted a soul taker a few months ago (really lucky, always carried orbs of chance and would pick up glorious plates and siege axes to chance them). I traded 2 Rainbow Strides and a Marohi Erqi for a Bringer of Rain. The other items I already had or were really easy to trade for.

I am now min-maxing and running into trouble because a) I suck at it. b) I really suck at it.

Hello, Dongaldo! :) Glad you are finding the build fits your playstyle.

Yes, the build can scale to the wealthy folks very nicely, although it can play all right on a shoestring too, which is nice.

Getting down to business, you should quality all four of the gems in your BoR. 20% is ideal of course. Whether it costs less to GCP them up or just buy replacements, I'll leave that up to you to figure out. :)

I see you have xx block on your passive tree. I would remove one of the 2% block nodes, Bulwark, Purity of Flesh, the elemental resistance with shields nodes (I'm sure you are overcapped) and place the points into Weapon Artisty, Sentinel, Thick Skin, hard knocks if necessary, and the 12% life node in the middle wheel instead. Your next point would be into either the 12% life node near duelist start, or the Fell the Weak node near the Templar start since you have your final weapon. Here is a link to your revised skill tree. Note to others: this is a custom tree for Dongaldo, do not use.
Thank you Sovyn for this guild I have been going strong and almost made it to level 50 on Nemesis.

I'm going to take a break due to the CODT nerf but hope to be back soon!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info