[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

Double Post, delete this if you can.
PoE is most definitely in my opinion and opinion of any human, dwarf, exile, elf, dribbler, animal, specimen, vegatable, takeaway the best ARPG ever made.
Last edited by sionthedude on Nov 11, 2013, 6:37:10 PM
"
danzha wrote:

Hi Sovyn!

Firstly thanks for your build, it's quickly become my highest level character since anarchy ended and was replaced by domination.

Had a quick question regarding mana issues - in the guide you mentioned that at higher levels we should be able to wean ourselves from relying on gems such as blood magic, mana leech or even reduced mana I suppose for our main attack skill.

I'm ~lvl 70 now and would love to replace my blood magic with something more useful, but each heavy strike attack consumes over 30 mana per hit with all the multipliers (I have a 5L). Is there anything I'm missing, or should I simply wait until my reduced mana gem for the auras level up more (or get more mana in the meantime)?

Howdy danzha. :) Glad the build is coming along for you.

A level 17 reduced mana gem is pretty much the minimum to be able to run both auras and have enough mana remaining to use your attack skill (I have 57 mana remaining). My heavy strike costs 28 mana and I can chain it non-stop. I have a 2% mana leech ring.

To make sure, you can just run HS + melee phys + multi + faster attacks + blind on your 5 link. While that won't do as much damage as your (I assume) added fire damage, the blind will make everything pretty easy mode as it synergizes well with your evasion. Better that than running out of mana and doing far less damage. Consistency is preferable over peak damage that you can't maintain.
"
seiferoth10 wrote:

The good news is: it's not your weapon! The bad news is: it's not your weapon, upgrades elsewhere will be expensive and painful. That mace is 260 dps, already very decent.

Do your rings have dps stats on them? The biggest impact on our dps we can get from rings is a high "Adds x-x physical damage" mod.

Is your belt a Rustic sash (implicit mod is "xx% Increased Physical Damage")? That can help.

His weapon is great for the required level on it, but he's level 81. To be competitive with legacy soul taker DPS wise at a far lower cost, it needs to be 360 DPS or so. That will cost a few exalted for a decent rare. 100 ex for a legacy soul taker, probably 5-10 ex for a 360 DPS rare. No comparision which one is the budget choice. Agreed on the belt and rings. Meginord's Girdle is a good choice. But, I've told him all this stuff many times already. :)
Last edited by Sovyn on Nov 11, 2013, 7:07:48 PM
Sion, can you support a +fire dmg gem in your 5L? I'm guessing that since your axe is pure physical, the mana leech on your slithers should be able to keep you up. Make sure that you have a 10-15 mana gap between the cast cost and the total mana available.

Also, I'd hazard a guess that you picked multistrike over cast when taking dmg. You might have shorted yourself there because all your defensive casts (which take mana and interrupt your attacks) have to be manually cast rather than autocast for zero mana.

Other than that, mebbe look in to +% dmg (belt is the most obvious source of this).

In other news, had some luck yesterday when I finally hocked some legacy FB's for 6 exalts! Resulted in a substantial set of upgrades which leaves my tri-res just shy on lightning but otherwise capped (saved a talent point as well which finally got me to Ondar's Guile), completely free of blood magic and running two cast on dmg taken gems...

Sort of alternating between HS (which is a 15% quality lucky find) and Infernal seeing which one I like better.

In short, I'm a freaking fortress. Admittedly, a fortress that needs a better weapon.

List of stuff still to "fix", better hat/rings/shield/weapon, but I should be a bit more capable of farming the crap outta maps now.
"
Saviourself wrote:

In short, I'm a freaking fortress. Admittedly, a fortress that needs a better weapon.

List of stuff still to "fix", better hat/rings/shield/weapon, but I should be a bit more capable of farming the crap outta maps now.

Glad you have your mana drain/intake balanced. Always a good thing. Each player has to find the balance that works for him or her in the mana department, but it's well worth it.

Good progress! :)
im working on this build as well, although i am only level 44.

where are you guys picking up the extra dex? i keep i keep looking at the gear and its just not there, yet, you have weapons that require 100+ dex
"
xperii wrote:

where are you guys picking up the extra dex? i keep i keep looking at the gear and its just not there, yet, you have weapons that require 100+ dex

Hello xperii and welcome!

You will have a lot of dex at level 60 or so following the guide as you will be moving into the ranger area.

Before then you can easily make due with strength only gear.
"
xperii wrote:

I've had a couple of those moments when I replaced an item and suddenly realised my hatred/grace aura's feel below the threshold.

You'll notice that the build passes a nice fat 30 dex node not far to the right of blood magic iirc. That is a relatively cheap option to take early on to significantly boost your dex figure that you can regret later once you start moving in to the ranger area.

Alternately, you can book as fast as possible towards ranger and drop a few more of the things that you can fill in later. Best tip is to not overload on leveling up your green gems until you are confident that a simple gear change won't leave you high and dry.
Thanks seiferoth10 and Sovyn! my reduced mana has a level or two to go then for that much leftover mana, but I did completely forget about mana leech from gear.

Something to work towards today - thanks again!
IGN: Gumaru / Gumario / FoonNotSpork / Shield_For_Pants / Shockingly_Expensive
How do you guys handle mana issues? I just switched out the level 8 unique that gives 2% mana leech and now I'm having trouble keeping up. Mana leech or blood magic are not options without suffering a significant dps loss on heavy strike.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info