[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

Probably because I am old(er than most players, I dont like

- Frenetic clicking
- multi-tasking, i-e, keeping track of charges, timers etc
- very fast movement across the zone/area/map (I dont have a train to catch, or anything)
- dependancy on specific expensive gear for a build to be good/viable
- to expect the top most awesomestest OMGWTFPWN build with no cost/effort

This build fits my playstyle like a glove! I do okay everywhere really - pre 1.0.0 my 76 templar was trying to "farm" docks with 110 IIQ and 210 IIR (not bad if you ask me for a non-sporker!) and my DPS didnt suffer noticeably, nor my resists etc.

I am not self-found, so that helped of course.

the key as others mentioned is to match up gear so your resists etc are close to cap, and good weapon.

Edit: DoctorDong, I have life leech on my jewellery - and post 50 leech helps a lot more than life gain on hit if you ask me.
Last edited by MildlyClever on Oct 28, 2013, 11:45:44 PM
"
DoctorDong wrote:
I've noticed that I don't really see anyone using anything like Life Leech or LGoH gems, are you all just relying on flasks/nodes/gear for life gain? I think that might be what's holding my DPS back, I keep trying to use gem slots for things like Blood Magic and LL/LGoH.

Almost all of us have the Blood Drinker node (2% life leech, near Marauder area). Early on I did use life leech/LGoH, but once you get to a certain gear level you should be blocking/dodging/mitigating by armor/life regenerating so much damage that there shouldn't be very much to heal to begin with. In the mean time you can get life leech on rings/gloves to fill the void and still have the extra gem.
Last edited by seiferoth10 on Oct 28, 2013, 11:49:37 PM
Currently level 65 and STILL using the slither pinch gloves. And haven't picked up blood drinker yet with no hp or mana leech gems. I can vouch for using double strike with spectral throw as I'm using the same setup now. I have kept my mana cost very low by using blind on both skills and knockback on spectral throw as they have no extra cost. Spectral throw with blind and knockback is great btw. Entire mobs are blinded and pushed away from me and I can double strike the hell out of anyone who does get close. It's quite funny really

Also the knockback effect seems to give me a little bit of extra free damage by pushing the enemies further into the throw of the weapons. I haven't seen anyone using the combo but I'm liking it
Last edited by wenlock on Oct 29, 2013, 12:15:55 AM
@Saviourself, MildlyClever - yep, I have to agree with you guys, I don't care for being forced to pace myself to the game. Thus the idea behind the build.

@DoctorDong - I don't think I bothered even with blood drinker yet this time around on the reset and I'm not missing life leech that much (it's still recommended), and never bothered with LGoH or leech supports on this character either. I really don't get hit that much to make it worth giving up a damage support for these. I just tap my 1 or 2 key to use an instant life flask to top up. I suppose it would be a little 'lazier' actually to use the healing support gems, but I like to do a little more damage instead, especially since I have only found a four link so far in my travels, on anything decent anyway.

@wenlock I like the idea of knockback support on spectral throw. My complaint with it was having to move back so often, and this might just solve that. Well done. I do think a 5-link would be required to get the DPS up to a reasonable level.
Alright I've only been playing the game for a day. I just powered through normal to unlock the scion thinking I'd just go cookie cutter spectral throw. The more I thought about it though I'm not sure primarily relying on spectral throw would suit my intended playstyle but the lazy pally build got my attention. After a bit of theory-crafting and research I think these could be good skills to use and fairly noob friendly:

Double strike (Primary Ability): Melee physical, melee splash, multistike, added fire.
Cast on damage taken: Enduring cry, Temp chains, Molten shell.
Spectral Throw (Support Ability): Faster attacks, Added fire.

So I think this build could work well for that (realistically I figured best I could do is 5-link, but that is only based on a single normal playthrough?), but I still have a couple of concerns, but since I've been playing this game for less than a day I figure there's probably just a flaw in my theory-crafting?

1. Why not just start off with a Scion? Wouldn't that be just as good / nearly as good? Plus I can use a female character that way for roleplaying purposes.
2. Why not spend 2 point to grab one-handed attack speed and fencing for 3% attack speed and 24% increased melee physical. Wouldn't affect my spectral throw, but still seems like it would be really good for this build and my primary?
3. Why not spend some points on the weapon trees such at Wicked Blade and Sword Damage and Life? Was the intent of this build just to keep it as general as possible; jack of all trades but master of none?
4. Thoughts on iron reflexes or is that again just too gear dependent for this build? (I haven't played the game enough to figure out how the gear situation pans out long terms, but figured especially self-found that could be useful?)

This game is so complex I feel as though I've spent at least 50% of my time so far just theory-crafting.
"
Sovyn wrote:
@Saviourself, MildlyClever - yep, I have to agree with you guys, I don't care for being forced to pace myself to the game. Thus the idea behind the build.
@wenlock I like the idea of knockback support on spectral throw. My complaint with it was having to move back so often, and this might just solve that. Well done. I do think a 5-link would be required to get the DPS up to a reasonable level.

I drop down a shockwave totem infront of me then i start use spectral throw. A bit less geared with my new nemesis character then iam used to so it feels safe and good to use a totem. and sometimes it just works perfect in sync with the shockwave moving the mobs while the ST's are shredding the mobs.
If i had a curse on hit and vulnerability/tempoeral chains i would test it with the shockwave totem, think it should work but dont know.
"
Camaron wrote:

How is the damage output of this build? can it solo realtively fast at end game maps? Or is it low damage and slow kills?

Havent got to end game maps. Did a level 71map solo yesterday and it was safe. But with enfeeble curse and higher resists mobs, it did take a while.

My AoE dps is 15k (infernal blow+melee splash), my single target is 23k (infernal blow+added fire dam)
"

1. Why not just start off with a Scion? Wouldn't that be just as good / nearly as good? Plus I can use a female character that way for roleplaying purposes.
2. Why not spend 2 point to grab one-handed attack speed and fencing for 3% attack speed and 24% increased melee physical. Wouldn't affect my spectral throw, but still seems like it would be really good for this build and my primary?
3. Why not spend some points on the weapon trees such at Wicked Blade and Sword Damage and Life? Was the intent of this build just to keep it as general as possible; jack of all trades but master of none?
4. Thoughts on iron reflexes or is that again just too gear dependent for this build? (I haven't played the game enough to figure out how the gear situation pans out long terms, but figured especially self-found that could be useful?)

This game is so complex I feel as though I've spent at least 50% of my time so far just theory-crafting.

1. Think it can work pretty well, allthough died at level 40 with my scion attempt
2. not sure which node you are talking about. Allthough in ranger area, there are 3 attack speed nodes ending in Aspect of the Panther. total 16% more phys damage, 14% attack speed, 10 life, and 4 movement speed. But the base build is about survival, when you think you can survive without problems, then its time to tweak and go for attackspeed or damage...
3. If you find a shield with very good block and defensive stats, i think you can switch out some defensive nodes for damage without problems. The goal is to have a max block 75% with max resists and atleast 40% armor and evasive. If you also have 47% spell block, and life leech...
4. The bonus with evasivie and ondar's guile is that it almost makes you immune to chaos damage, since most of them are projectils. Allthough sometimes i wish i had insane high armour, oh wait thats why i bring 2 granite flasks with me. No i rather have 30% evasive then 5% more armor.
"

Oh yeah forgot, even if a node with 24% physical damage looks very appealing, it isn't. If you have 1000physical dps before, you could hope it would go up 24%, but in reality expect more of a 4-5% increase. Because so many support gems already give very high %-damage increase.
So far it is far better to have +damage rings,amulets,gloves and then use attack speed nodes then %-damage nodes.

If they did change armor even more on mobs, i think it could be worth changing and start to take damage nodes compaired to speed nodes. But so far i rather hit a mob 6 times doing 150pts of damage each time then hitting 2 times for 450pts.

with heavy strike+melee damage on full life+melee physical damage. You have a base %-physical damage of +193%

My axe has a ~340dps, but with skill gems and gear it shown dps goes up to ~23.000dps. Percentage its so high that another 24% is barely noticeble.
yesterday i got my very first multistrike (from the library quest).
That maybe sounds noobish, but... wtf???!!! I just couldn't believe my eyes what happened on the screen.
I put it on my infernal blow and now it really blows!

That gem pushed my killspeed to the sky.

Today i rushed through lunaris, facetanking kole, and killed piety under 30 seconds.
No need for a granite-, elemental-, life- or manaflask.

Never had a char, that is so powerful.

Maybe some do the same at a lower level (i am currently 70), but for me, as a selffound player, it is ok.
Also, i don't like to rush through a game, being one of the first in progress.
I like to farm, building up the char and play save, to survive. (i hate dying).

This build fits my play style so much and brought the fun of playing poe back to me.
(My old "main", a fp crit shadow, lvl 76, is stuck due to bad gear for its level)

people make mistakes, but to get real chaos, you need a computer.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info