The weakest (and least used) gem in the game.

ele hit mana cost is insane. it is one of the most obscure secrets of poe - why it is so high. no talk about 'balance' should be taken seriously after introduction of Spectral and Static and Kinetic. sorry, these skills are FAR more powerful than Ele Hit yet the cost is like 50% lower

crit Ele Hit requires a crit weapon - thus - not a Soul Taker. i wish you luck making it work with BM gem without 6link. in a 6.6% crit 2aps+ foil the mana cost is in hundredths per second and yet the damage is nowhere near one dealt with one of the new skills for a fraction of the cost

Ele Hit is a noob trap. it wont work on totems, it wont work with bows it wont work as melee. some can make a 'semi-viable' build and be proud but this gem is garbage now

Two more candidates:

Sweep - used only with Hege staff and even then static strike or ground slam WITH THE SAME EXACT BUILD could do just as well
Shock Nova - just.. just lol
Lightning Trap - it stops being viable in early Merc. there is something terribly wrong with this skill and damage change alone wont solve it. Arc + Trap or heck even Shock Nova + Trap work better..
"
sidtherat wrote:
Sweep - used only with Hege staff and even then static strike or ground slam WITH THE SAME EXACT BUILD could do just as well.

You know, I made a crit staff sweeper recently and compared those three skills, they really can use the exact same setup.

Sweep - the lowest dps of the three, but using weapon with low base speed like imperial staff makes the difference manageable, it's really not that far below ground slam. the trouble is it requires enemies to crowd around you and in that scenario it does what it's supposed to do, knocback does keep you much safer than with static. nice for solo play, bad in parties.

Ground Slam - probably the best option overall, you got average dps but good range and usability, if you got fending blows you can knockback nicely with crits and keep enemies away. yeah, unfortunately, range wins, even though sweep keeps you alive the best when you do get surrounded ground slam doesn't let that happen too often

Static - best single target damage by far and shocking helps a bunch too but AoE can be fiddly and you're easy to surround and get beat up before your AoEs go off or defenses kick in if enemies are fast. riskiest, but the most rewarding too.

I wouldn't really call Sweep the weakest gem in the game by design, it does its job fine. One of the main reasons it's underused is it's a 2H exclusive and 2H doesn't have as much wiggling room so you have to go for the best option if you know what's good for you.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Jan 9, 2015, 10:44:08 AM
Sweep ~= Leap sans movement.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Sweep ~= Leap sans movement.

exactly

sweep is just bad. the 'buff' it got in 1.2 (75->85% DE) was a sad joke compared to buffs other (some already potent) skill got..
If I'm going to complain about some skills it would most likely be Sweep and Elemental (s)Hit.

Sweep for some reason has a lower attack speed than other skills whilst also having a really low damage effectiveness. Easy way to fix this is probably just to do something about the damage effectiveness. Upping it from the measly 85% to 100% would probably be enough to make it more playable.

Elemental Shit costs more than most spells whilst also dealing less damage and being unable to benefit from the Penetration supports in a good way. I've mentioned something like this in the feedback thread for the gem aswell but I think it should probably have a lower mana cost along with a relatively large bonus to penetration(all elements) per level. Let's say starting at 10% and increasing at a rate of 1.5% per level. The mana cost should probably be lowered to about maybe 14 at higher gem levels. Not 20+.
I was thinking about going ele hit + discharge going spell/ele damage nodes

Then i remembered ele hit is only 1 RANDOM element on hit (should be all of them like discharge is) and the skill itself is almost like a normal attack so cool gfx or anything as far as i know

I agree about the mana cost this thing cost way to much for what it does
"
raics wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:
Sweep - used only with Hege staff and even then static strike or ground slam WITH THE SAME EXACT BUILD could do just as well.

You know, I made a crit staff sweeper recently and compared those three skills, they really can use the exact same setup.

Sweep - the lowest dps of the three, but using weapon with low base speed like imperial staff makes the difference manageable, it's really not that far below ground slam. the trouble is it requires enemies to crowd around you and in that scenario it does what it's supposed to do, knocback does keep you much safer than with static. nice for solo play, bad in parties.

Ground Slam - probably the best option overall, you got average dps but good range and usability, if you got fending blows you can knockback nicely with crits and keep enemies away. yeah, unfortunately, range wins, even though sweep keeps you alive the best when you do get surrounded ground slam doesn't let that happen too often

Static - best single target damage by far and shocking helps a bunch too but AoE can be fiddly and you're easy to surround and get beat up before your AoEs go off or defenses kick in if enemies are fast. riskiest, but the most rewarding too.

I wouldn't really call Sweep the weakest gem in the game by design, it does its job fine. One of the main reasons it's underused is it's a 2H exclusive and 2H doesn't have as much wiggling room so you have to go for the best option if you know what's good for you.

I wonder if not leap slam would work well enough with hege staff?

Back to elemental hit.
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Elemental_Hit
In beta the mana cost was reduced. Then at game release increased again and in 1.2.0 it says mana cost revised.
So it's not been so long since the skill had it's mana cost revised. Perhaps we are missing something here.

"
sidtherat wrote:

Lightning Trap - it stops being viable in early Merc. there is something terribly wrong with this skill and damage change alone wont solve it. Arc + Trap or heck even Shock Nova + Trap work better..

Was just thinking about lightning trap. It surely is worthy of a honourable mention. I saw some guy report that chain doesn't work with all the projectiles so maybe it's also bugged. Never used the skill myself just heard that the damage is rather low in maps.
Last edited by kompaniet on Jan 10, 2015, 12:43:40 AM
The main use for Ele Hit seems to be if you are making an elemental build, but for some reason you want to use a unique weapon with very little damage on it. Piscator's Vigil is an obvious candidate; Windripper could be good as well (although to be honest Windripper is good with just about anything), and Brightbeak would be amusing. The mana cost is certainly excessive, though, and the damage needs a bit of a buff so it makes a difference in a world where everyone is loaded up on Heralds and other off-weapon damage anyway.

Sweep on the other hand has no redeeming features, as far as I can tell. The 85% damage effectiveness is impossible to justify with the current skill balance.
"
Incompetent wrote:
Sweep on the other hand has no redeeming features, as far as I can tell.

Yeah, well, like I said, the reason I think Sweep is better than EH is because it does what it's supposed to do.

Sweep is a skill that uses knockback to keep you alive and deal damage to all sides when you're surrounded in melee at the cost of some dps - great, it does exactly that, whether we need a skill like that is a whole other question.

Elemental hit is a skill that should provide superior dps for an elemental attacker setup at the cost of high mana consumption, which can be a problem for ele builds - it fails abysmally, any skill with a decent damage multiplier will top it effortlessly in a good endgame setup for a fraction of its mana cost.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Jan 10, 2015, 5:24:48 AM
Hi

Ditto on mana cost of ele hit, that is one skill in need of a tune up.

Smoke mine to me is the useless one/one with so much wasted potential. What makes this gem weak is its in-ability to have some sort of warning if it won't work, LOS(Line Of Sight) on this skill just kills it.

Sweep with multistrike isn't too shabby with high critical and herald of ash prolif:P

Lit trap( the vaal lit trap is what lit trap should basically be),shock nova(dead zone=WHYYYYYYYYYYYY) another great gem gone wrong.

Cast on Death, this trigger gem could be so much more interesting if it affected minions since MI is such a weak keystone.

cheers
Conan: Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Never dance with the Devil because a dance with the Devil could last you forever...
-I thought what I'd do was,I'd Pretend I was one of those deaf mutes-
Nullus Anxietas:)
Last edited by Finkenstein on Jan 10, 2015, 5:27:37 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info