The Mathil Tornado/Puncture Spec - Cheap Uber Atziri Viable

Im doing fine. I was yesterday. now im at 70 doing fine. 2800 hp maxed res. Only thing i bought was a chest. rest was selfmade/selffound.

this was a lucky alch and changed most of the playing.
After 1.3 I feel like my puncture is doing lesser damage than tornado shot even to a single target.

I can kill a single target faster by Tornado shot than with puncture. Then whats the point of using puncture? Is this normal for everyone?

Also, I finished the complete tree and after leveling to 93, i got 3 points left. Should i go to bloodletting? Is it worth it?
"
13uster wrote:
After 1.3 I feel like my puncture is doing lesser damage than tornado shot even to a single target.

I can kill a single target faster by Tornado shot than with puncture. Then whats the point of using puncture? Is this normal for everyone?

Also, I finished the complete tree and after leveling to 93, i got 3 points left. Should i go to bloodletting? Is it worth it?

I’m at lvl 91 and also at the point where I’m considering options beyond Mathil’s spec. Maybe you might like to hear what I’ve been thinking.
I find it hard to justify using Puncture on targets standing still (though I still think it's probably better than TS), put Puncture still works OK for moving targets.

A few weeks ago I picked up Burning Arrow, however, and now, for high-life single targets, I mix shots of Burning Arrow and Puncture to keep the target ignited and bleeding at the same time. (Portal and my mobility skill are on the alternate weapon set.) Burning arrow is great for burning down single targets, and certainly better than Puncture if they are standing still. Anyway, Bloodletting should theoretically make my Burning arrow/Puncture spam on single targets do >20% more damage, and make Puncture more viable in general. So I think Bloodletting is probably a good choice once you max out your “main” spec.

BTW, Burning arrow is great for a quick one-shot on single normal monsters too. It one-shots them more reliably than and Tornado shot or Puncture do, at least.

Another option I consider is actually piercing. I was specced piercing for a while when I was using a Drillneck (eventually I got a rare quiver that did much more damage than Drillneck and was able to deallocate points from piercing). Piercing significantly increased the rate at which I could bring down large packs of mobs. I’m considering looking at piercing again.
Another thing to spend points on past Mathil’s spec is the +1 power charge node that is fairly close to Mind Drinker. This node would be especially useful if you have a six link bow/armor and are using power charge on crit. However, once you spec out of Mind Drinker, it is a total of three passive points away instead of just two.

Anyway, there’s also some other decent nodes I (or you) could consider. Personally though… I’m leaning towards Bloodletting. I like the idea of not only hugely buffing Puncture’s bleed damage, but also creating effectively a debuff with my bleeds that makes affected mobs take 20% more damage from my Burning Arrow-Puncture spam.
"
Hovadiih wrote:
This build is utter bullsht. U dont have any stats for gems, so i have to rock shitty gear,accesories. lvl 65 i have 1.8k hp. Just a walking one shot, and it says this build is ''cheap'' for normal gear u have to spend 10ex - 30ex, or u are just gonna die over and over. Not to mention hardcore leagues ...

The build guide clearly states that you should pick up stats with your passive points when/as you need them- "Take any int/str nodes you need to make your gems work if you don't have it all from your gear."

There is 60 int and 60 str just 4 passive skill point allocations away. Mathil can't be faulted for you not reading and following his build.

You also have a brain yourself. The build wasn't engraved in stone and handed to you personally by Moses. Even if you're following someone else's build, there's always plenty of room to make common-sense improvisations to your characters, especially since you receive 12 free respec points.
Last edited by tatarjj on Jan 9, 2015, 3:35:33 PM
"
Hovadiih wrote:
This build is utter bullsht. U dont have any stats for gems, so i have to rock shitty gear,accesories. lvl 65 i have 1.8k hp. Just a walking one shot, and it says this build is ''cheap'' for normal gear u have to spend 10ex - 30ex, or u are just gonna die over and over. Not to mention hardcore leagues ...

The build is great if you know how to play. I am only lvl78 and have spent 3 chaos on gear and found/made the rest. I only die occasionally and am running 67-70 maps atm. Maybe learn to play before trashing some ones build you are following
nice build
RAAAAAAAA!

(╯ಠ益ಠ)╯︵ ┻━┻ ︵ ǝ︵ o︵ d

I'm out.
"
tatarjj wrote:
"
13uster wrote:

I’m at lvl 91 and also at the point where I’m considering options beyond Mathil’s spec. Maybe you might like to hear what I’ve been thinking.
I find it hard to justify using Puncture on targets standing still (though I still think it's probably better than TS), put Puncture still works OK for moving targets.

A few weeks ago I picked up Burning Arrow, however, and now, for high-life single targets, I mix shots of Burning Arrow and Puncture to keep the target ignited and bleeding at the same time. (Portal and my mobility skill are on the alternate weapon set.) Burning arrow is great for burning down single targets, and certainly better than Puncture if they are standing still. Anyway, Bloodletting should theoretically make my Burning arrow/Puncture spam on single targets do >20% more damage, and make Puncture more viable in general. So I think Bloodletting is probably a good choice once you max out your “main” spec.

BTW, Burning arrow is great for a quick one-shot on single normal monsters too. It one-shots them more reliably than and Tornado shot or Puncture do, at least.

Another option I consider is actually piercing. I was specced piercing for a while when I was using a Drillneck (eventually I got a rare quiver that did much more damage than Drillneck and was able to deallocate points from piercing). Piercing significantly increased the rate at which I could bring down large packs of mobs. I’m considering looking at piercing again.
Another thing to spend points on past Mathil’s spec is the +1 power charge node that is fairly close to Mind Drinker. This node would be especially useful if you have a six link bow/armor and are using power charge on crit. However, once you spec out of Mind Drinker, it is a total of three passive points away instead of just two.

Anyway, there’s also some other decent nodes I (or you) could consider. Personally though… I’m leaning towards Bloodletting. I like the idea of not only hugely buffing Puncture’s bleed damage, but also creating effectively a debuff with my bleeds that makes affected mobs take 20% more damage from my Burning Arrow-Puncture spam.

I have been using Bloodletting and it's pretty good. But I have also invested in Entropy and let me tell you: my trap-puncture kicks ass. As an Atziri farmer, I am having a much easier time dpsing her down, especially when she splits into four. Granted, I have a very nice bow (450 pdps), so I willingly sacrificed some physical damage spec points and invested in bloodletting and entropy. If you are serious about buffing puncture, then consider Entropy too. Level 91 ranger.

By the way, if you have a Windripper lying around, Mahtil has a badass build for that too. I am doing 35k dps at level 90 with scion. With double vaal haste and atziri flask, I annihilate everything on and off-screen :)
Isn't that bow a little high end for 10c? Looking up similar ones on poe.trade, most bows that come close are in the 20ex+ range (standard).

As I near level 68, I'm starting to look at harbingers (still running the death harp), and they seem a lot pricer than I thought. Is this just poe.trade being untrustworthy, was that bow worth way more than 10c? Or was 10c on rampage worth a hell of a lot more than it is on standard?
Come on Math give us an update to this build ,we want to see your tree,gear,what changes did u made after the recent patch
I used this guide to build my 90 torment ranger Pawd

Gear

I've spent a few weeks trying to craft better bows.
here is are all my crafting bows
Bows

Also have this crazy stun quiver

I want to ask others what they think about using Maligaro's Restraint

It gives me over 4k extra dps when in use for around 19k tornado shot with current 5link +3power charge
I have been using it successfully when soloing 78 maps
Last edited by 4_1 on Feb 12, 2015, 5:25:59 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info