Inventory System

After watching a couple of gameplay videos I have noticed that the inventory system in PoE is very similar to Diablo 2's.

This is worrisome as area-based inventories, such as the one in D2 and most resident evil games, are incredibly annoying(personal opinion of course).

Don't get me wrong, I think a limited inventory with different items taking up different amounts of space is a great mechanic; however, grid-style inventories are a roadblock for smooth, fun gameplay as they often require players to stop what they are doing in order to rearrange their inventory.

A system like Fallout's weight-based inventory serves the exact same purpose (limited space and larger items take up more space) as area-based inventories but without the associated hassle.

What do you guys think?

Do you know of any possible solutions that fix these issues yet maintain a grid-style inventory?
Last edited by fundayz on Aug 3, 2011, 1:47:14 AM
Grid + Weight = Enjoyable and difficult XD reality is a B*tch get used to it! (This is an opinion because these things are realistic). I like knowing my character's very limitations and by knowing how much weight and space he has helps me understand his adventure mindedness.
I love virtual brutality so save it for the Mobs...
I personally like the added challenge of grid based inventory, makes me have to decide if I really want the next drop more than something else in my inventory, gives loot collection more heft and feels less like trash pick-up patrol when I have to decide what is worth picking up instead of just picking up everything
It also allows players to act more generously when interacting with newer players, "Hey I don't need this... too much stuff, got a town portal?"
A few games I played had an option to auto arrange the inventory, so that you wouldn't have to spend time doing it... they could add that... wouldn't be too hard, I think.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot." - Charlie Chaplin
"
Dustonian wrote:
I personally like the added challenge of grid based inventory, makes me have to decide if I really want the next drop more than something else in my inventory, gives loot collection more heft and feels less like trash pick-up patrol when I have to decide what is worth picking up instead of just picking up everything

That doesn't have to do with the grid system though, it just has to do with having limited inventory space.

A weight-based inventory would still require you to decide which items you have room for, with the added benefit of not having to stop the action in order to rearrange your inventory.

"
bkboggy wrote:
A few games I played had an option to auto arrange the inventory, so that you wouldn't have to spend time doing it... they could add that... wouldn't be too hard, I think.

That is a plausible solution, although it still leaves the possibility of having enough space but not in the right shape for the item you want to loot.

This would not only hinder the pace of the game but could also cause players to miss out on their allocated drops during multiplayer.

For example, a person has 4 squares left in their inventory. Expecting a sword to drop, the player arranges their inventory so that they form a straight line; however, a very rare shield drops. The player is forced to rearrange their inventory causing them to lose the item to another player, even though they technically had enough room to carry the item.
Last edited by fundayz on Aug 3, 2011, 3:02:43 AM
But that's also the fun of it... an added level of balance. If all items took up one grid, you could grind non-stop... and that's all that would be... a non-stop grinder. Having go back to town once in a while forces you to make decisions on what to keep in your inventory. On top of that it prevents massive ninjaing of items by one player.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot." - Charlie Chaplin
"
bkboggy wrote:
But that's also the fun of it... an added level of balance. If all items took up one grid, you could grind non-stop... and that's all that would be... a non-stop grinder. Having go back to town once in a while forces you to make decisions on what to keep in your inventory. On top of that it prevents massive ninjaing of items by one player.

As I said above, having to choose which items to carry has nothing to do with a grid-like system; it has to do with having a limited inventory.

A weight-based system provides the EXACT same function without the pace-breaking effects of a grid-system. A ninja would max out their inventory just as quickly as they would with a grid-system.

How is having 3kg left in your 40kg inventory any different than having 3 squares left in a 40 square inventory?
Last edited by fundayz on Aug 3, 2011, 3:12:24 AM
Players will likely be able to Ninja orbs though... as they stack and only take up one space in the inventory.
Happy Days Abound.
I am ALL FOR having weight and grid. This would make your stash more valuable of an asset since you couldn't carry everything with you, and all of your heavy stuff would have to either be used or stashed as soon as possible to prevent over encumbrance!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info