Inventory System

"
cybrim wrote:
Woot gonna get Pwned!

I know I know D:
I usually suck in PvP so hard...
"...You know the difference between arrogance and confidence?

Confidence can back its shit up." -Charan
Me too, because we refuse to spam... it doesn't taste very good! But on the inventory system D&D Heroes used a weight only system... and there wasn't any real need for their charisma... these were my 2 problems with the really really fun game it was.
I love virtual brutality so save it for the Mobs...
I must disagree with you @ original poster.
It would be annoying to have an unlimited space in the inventory. This is not fun. It is a challenge to decide what to pick up and what not, this permanent need to make this decision makes the gameplay very exciting and demanding. No brainless grinding - this isnt fun for me.
░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
Il███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤..
I like both the weight system and the grid. Both serve the purpose of limiting items you can carry. I prefer weight over grid though because it is awful easy to max a grid system out with a few drops that take say 6 slots of the grid. Hellgate London had the grid system like Diablo and you were constantly gating back to town because many of there items took up a lot of slots each. That becomes an annoyance. Items dropped at such an insane rate in that game which didn't help the cause either.
Grid style and Weight style doesn't exactly function the same. Suppose we tried to make 1 square in the grid = 1 unit of weight, and total squares = total weight. The grid is potentially more complex because in the weight system an item of 2 units weight is equivalent to two items of 1 unit weight, but in the grid system it's not necessarily so. E.G. in Diablo 2 a large charm isn't necessarily equivalent to two small charms because the large charm is stuck occupying 2 vertically connected squares, whereas small charms aren't. That being said, you can manipulate the grid size and item sizes to make the systems equivalent.

If items in inventory do nothing to affect the character, then I'd rather have the weight system because grid would be unnecessarily complicated. But if certain items in inventory do affect characters, like D2 charms or whatever, I rather they'd have the grid system because it creates more complexity to the game.
The weight systems IS a lot less complicated and strength plays a big role. The grid system is a standard and has been used since diablo I. The 2 systems together would ensure that you have a realistic amount of carrying capacity and it gets used, I hate going back to my stash in some games like torchlight where everything only takes up 1 slot and there are some items that stack so you just have a LOT of stuff... and it takes awhile to sort out...
I love virtual brutality so save it for the Mobs...
I am for the grid weight inventory also,not for unlimited stash.
Last edited by Bulkathos on Aug 3, 2011, 9:35:37 PM
"
cybrim wrote:
You're my bro dude, we are going to play this together! D&D Heroes on the xbox was decent (4 player automatically helped). You too bkboggy!

It's going to be pretty fun.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot." - Charlie Chaplin
Dear developers, I think you should keep the grid style, but I want my grid to re-arrange automatically when I add items to it, furthermore I want it to be rearranged such that it's optimal.

Also, I want this to occur in Polynomial time. When you have this completed I would love to have the source code...

(For those of you who are confused the knapsack problem (google it) is NP-complete, meaning it takes non-polynomial time to figure it out. If you can solve a np-complete in polynomial time you can solve all problems in computing in polynomial time including breaking RSA and el gamal cryptosystems. Instant PHD, just add water.)
All for minions "modes" so they can follow, stand, or patrol.
Interesting one Chemdude8 :). I now remember the knapsack problem, took me a couple of seconds to see that it's equivalent to your grid problem. Not only is it instant PhD but instant $2 million, at least! One from Clay's, and one from the field's medal that I'm sure will inevitably be awarded.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info