[1.2] KuteKitteh’s Tanky Arcer, 20k+ Effective DPS, Atziri/HC-viable. Poor-man’s BM Arc included

So, I ripped last night at lvl73 in Beyond. It was a combination of me being tired, careless, and also the game lagging and desyncing like hell while there was a unique Beyond mob running around the map. What killed me was probably the chaos degen from that, just like the OP stated - it's the only (small) weakness of this build really. I know I shouldn't have been facetanking shit, but it has been working so well up to this point :D Oh well, that's hardcore for ya.

Anyway, I wanted to share something with the other "new league" players. You love this build? You adore its tankyness? You think the AoE clearspeed is good enough? But it just lacks in single target damage due to low level Arc?

Here's the solution (for me, anyway):

If you are playing in a new league, chances are you are using a Crest of Perandus. With its 40% block chance, this shield allows you to cap block easily without tempest shield. So what you do is drop TS and put the following gems in its stead:

Hit it and watch rares and especially those beyond MoFos melt away. Doesn't really work on bosses (unless there are adds), because you need to charge it up of course. But it's only 12 souls, so it's available very often.

Just try it out :)

laters
Last edited by therealjcool on Sep 3, 2014, 7:50:10 AM
Anyone done Jungley Valley boss with BM build? :D What a tips? Since arc chain 5 times, totem die instantly i have no clue how to kill that biatch? :/
"
Matematikas wrote:
Anyone done Jungley Valley boss with BM build? :D What a tips? Since arc chain 5 times, totem die instantly i have no clue how to kill that biatch? :/
1. Dual Curse. Killing fast is important.
2. Atziri's Promise. With two of them, you can have almost 100% up-time for free 1.5% leech.
3. A couple panicked life flasks.

Don't use totems in there, and don't stand too close to the weaver.
[2.2] KuteKitteh's CI EA Regen Tank - Durable w/10k ES, instant clear, EZ-Atziri, affordable!: /1625757
:redacted:
Last edited by Myrkabah on Sep 4, 2014, 12:38:09 AM
"
KuteKitteh wrote:
@Marlenus, gem levels. Also, get your arc on a 5L with Empower lvl3 or Added Lightning damage, or get your arc on a Geofri 4link.

@Rockstopper, thanks for the feedback!

The gem levels/quality and added lightning will make that much of a difference in the DPS figure? I know we're not focused on pure DPS here, but just wanted some apples to apples since your build notes talk about 9-10k DPS before curses and I'm not at even half that. (I couldn't find a dmg calculator that was gem based to see what a combo of certain gems at certain levels and quality + external elemental modifiers would produce, any such thing?)

I don't think I can give up the +40 all resists on my helm without having to rework the rest of my gear, so wI ill have to do some more armor shopping.

Some of it is also probably related to nodes I haven't added yet. I didn't realize how important shield block was to spell block and elemental dmg for example so had deferred the shield block nodes until I had that epiphany and have finally just about caught up (though my block still has a ways to go)

Passive skill tree build

Lastly, thanks for putting together this build and taking the time to help us. It took me quite a long time before I really started to understand how everything works together. I think that this one build has given me more knowledge of many of the game mechanics than anything in the past. There are nuances that just aren't evident.... spell block is tied to physical block... physical block is tied to elemental damage increases.... when you start to think about all the little puzzle pieces that fit together and work synergistic-ally, what you've designed is darned impressive.

Update:
Just got home from work and took a look at my resists. For some reason, the math isn't working out to what I would expect when looking at items + nodes. Some resist totals are higher, some are lower than the numbers I got. Bottom line though is I can give up my helm for a Geofri's. Of course there is only one 4L blue on all of xyz. Will see if I can reach the guy via PM.
Last edited by marlenus on Sep 3, 2014, 5:25:16 PM
"
KuteKitteh wrote:
"
Matematikas wrote:
1. Dual Curse. Killing fast is important.
2. Atziri's Promise. With two of them, you can have almost 100% up-time for free 1.5% leech.
3. A couple panicked life flasks.
Don't use totems in there, and don't stand too close to the weaver.

There are not enough damage i think, since im standing in corner and even not moving to weaver, since it comes more and more spiders :/ Im using dual curse of course, just don't have Atziri's Promise.. But thanks for the idea, i've didn't knowed before, that it gives life steal from chaos damage, with that i should just stand and kill, since flask with so many spiders should be up all the time. My currently sustain is just insta heal flask + hp regeneration, still not afford light dmg leech amulet, or catalyst, or belt.. But you have told cheap idea, thanks mate
Last edited by Matematikas on Sep 3, 2014, 2:28:31 PM
"
kossuvissy wrote:
"
Rockstopper wrote:

My current stats: 4.6k life, 1k unreserved mana, 74/75% block, level 18 AA.
3.3k tooltip DPS which feels a bit lowish in groups but solo clear speed is good.
Still missing a decent 5L and dual cursing so that's probably why.

Can I see your gears? No 20/21lvl arc right? :P

Theorying this build.. :P

Here's the current gear I'm using:
Spoiler

This is essentially what I've been using for quite a while, with the exception of one difference since yesterday: the body armor.

I bought a 5L 6S white Vaal Regalia for 1 ex and crafted it from there. Total cost is probably somewhere around 2 ex.

The addition of faster casting as a 5th link added nearly 900 tooltip dps, quite a significant boost - not to mention casting is much smoother now. A 0.25s Arc cast from a 0.31s one is a big difference!

I'm now sitting at 4.4k tooltip dps, with no quality on any gem and using a life leech gem as one of the supports. With a damage setup and quality on the important gems, the damage would probably be a lot higher, but I'm not complaining as it is.

Level 20 gems seems really far-fetched for me. I'll work on getting quality on gems and that much desired dual cursing (Blind is used as a placeholder for the second curse as of now) to improve effective dps. As I've mentioned before, clear speed is quite good already so I feel that'd be more icing on the cake than necessity.
Last edited by Rockstopper on Sep 3, 2014, 6:02:13 PM
"
Rockstopper wrote:

Level 20 gems seems really far-fetched for me. I'll work on getting quality on gems and that much desired dual cursing (Blind is used as a placeholder for the second curse as of now) to improve effective dps. As I've mentioned before, clear speed is quite good already so I feel that'd be more icing on the cake than necessity.

Don't make the amateur mistake I did and start buying gems with medium quality and paying extra. Much cheaper to go with no quality, level to 20, then use the quality recipe to make them 20% than to spend a zillion GCPs. Some gems are better at 20% quality and L1 than 0% quality and L20, the recipe resets them back to L1 unfortunately. If I buy new gems, I'm either buying 0% or 16+%
Last edited by marlenus on Sep 3, 2014, 6:34:22 PM
Absolutely loving this build as well - haven't really played PoE that much in the last year and every time I think about coming back and check out current builds everything that's not a boring totem build seems to require uniques that cost 25+ ex and so I don't bother. But with a budget of 10ex I got a Rathpith with pretty decent spell damage & ES rolls, the cursing Stone of Lazhwhar and 5 of the most important gems at lvl 20 which I converted into lvl 1/20q gems. I am a pretty slow leveller but have creamed it through to Merciless quicker than any other build I have tried despite not taking any damage nodes after level 15 or so. Really enjoying the game again so thanks KuteKitteh for revitalising my interest!

Have some questions about where to go next in the tree - This is my current build

Just heading over to the Marauder start area to grab the stuff there. After that would it better to take Eldritch Battery and Mind over Matter immediately or should I mop up the remaining spell block and hp nodes I have missed first before taking MoM? Either way I'll leave the lightning damage & Heart of Thunder stuff until last I think as damage is good enough already.

*edit - hmmm looking at my garbage rings I think I already answered that question for myself - I need to bump up my mana regen considerably first

Last edited by RandallPOE on Sep 4, 2014, 3:46:15 AM
I'm curious about the gear types. Pure int chests can give massive ES so I understand those are the best. But I'm wondering if I should aim for pure ES or Arm/ES boots/helm/gloves. Since I'm going to take Unwavering Stance ES/Eva would be "meh" (amirite?). Hybrid Arm/ES would mean very low armour values, and as far as I know that's also "meh" against any decent-high physical hit. So if all that is true, I should just grab pure ES pieces?

In case it matters, I'll be using MoM and AA.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info