(Updated!) [1.2] EE Ball Lightning/Ice Spear Build with AA/MoM (Cloak of Defiance)

hey Vultighjime, did you consider droping PCoC for something else since we have the curse assasins mark?
So we take no bandits? Or what bandits should itake
So I am doing this as a shadow, am Lvl26 with following tree:

Links are Ice Spear + Added cold + LMP.

Having some mana issues, but using a dagger and pretty much crit freezing/shattering everything. Freezing pulse has more dps (145vs185) but I love the extra range on Ice Spear esp to dogdge the sword guys from the portals. Have a Cold Snap to lock in Bosses.

Am enjoying the power of this build and its freezing locking mob ability. I have taken Oak and dont run any auras yet but thinking Herald Of Ash.
Last edited by patricklightsmith on Aug 21, 2014, 4:19:57 PM
"
Reloads wrote:

I would take +40 Mana since the tree has more +mana and mana regen, and that's essentially life with Cloak of Defiance.
"
crucialp wrote:
hey Vultighjime, did you consider droping PCoC for something else since we have the curse assasins mark?

You could do that if you want, it might work out ok, I haven't tried it. PCoC would work more reliably against bosses, since without it you won't be able to sustain power charges without killing enemies. Still, whether you really need THAT much crit chance against bosses is up to you.

"
Reloads wrote:

I think +40 life, +40 mana and 1 passive point are all decent options for first bandit quest. If you can't get much life on gear, I'd take the life. I'd personally probably not take +40 mana over life or the passive, because life is a more reliable source of effective HP, as in losing all your mana won't kill you but life will. But of course it all depends on your preferences and how easily you can get mana and ES on your gear.
Hideout of the Week S01E04 thread: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1088847
hey Vultighjime,

Would you mind making a leveling guide or just a quick rundown of the way you would go during leveling. I do see your passive tree so just an explanation would do. Also could you put in a more descriptive list of what you would personally do with this build? i.e gems for each linked item, bandits for each difficulty, and preferable items that you would want; if they are not unique then what stats are most important on each piece? I know this is a lot of information but it would help greatly! I also appreciate any help you can give. Special thanks to the Svenn for creating this post :]

-Tim/Paisenberg
"
KarmaReaper wrote:
hey Vultighjime,

Would you mind making a leveling guide or just a quick rundown of the way you would go during leveling. I do see your passive tree so just an explanation would do. Also could you put in a more descriptive list of what you would personally do with this build? i.e gems for each linked item, bandits for each difficulty, and preferable items that you would want; if they are not unique then what stats are most important on each piece? I know this is a lot of information but it would help greatly! I also appreciate any help you can give. Special thanks to the Svenn for creating this post :]

-Tim/Paisenberg

Hi Tim, sure I'd be happy to help.

Levelling

I haven't actually played this build before so it's hard to know an exact levelling guide, but I've levelled a MoM/AA/EB Fireball Crit Witch so I can explain what I did there. My advice is to get EB when you can and start running AA as soon as you can afford the mana. Obviously you'll need to keep a close eye on how far you level AA. But even with a low-mid level AA, I remember it helped quite a bit when levelling. I think I ran Discipline and Clarity early on, but this was without MoM (Cloak) so you only need enough unreserved mana to cast spells.

You should focus mostly on getting all the life nodes you need, along with mana regen. Once you have all that, you can start going for DPS.

Getting EE should help with the damage quite a bit, so you could get that before you finish getting all the life.

Gem links

Again, I haven't played this so there's a lot I want to test, but these are my initial thoughts.

Ice Spear - LMP - LL - Cold Pen - PCoC / Faster Casting (In order of priority, but PCoC and FC are roughly equal in my head at this stage)

I'm hoping we will be able to craft '1% cold damage leeched as life' onto most of our gear via Catarina. If we can, I would craft that onto all my non-unique items and drop Life Leech. However it might not be possible, so we might need to keep Life Leech as a gem.

PCoC vs. Faster Casting: 7 power charges will push Ice Spear to 73.5% crit with no other passives or gear, and improve Ball Lightning's chance to crit and shock. Faster Casting will make it easier to spam Ice Spear on targets before having to cast another Ball Lightning. Not sure which will be more useful at this stage. Obviously we can use both in a 5L if Life Leech isn't needed.

Other options: If you want to use Assassin's Mark to generate power charges, drop PCoC for crit damage or added chaos. You just won't be able to sustain charges easily against a boss.

Ball Lightning - Lightning Pen - Inc AoE - LMP / crit strikes / crit damage / added lightning / other?

Lightning Warp - Faster Casting - Reduced Duration

Clarity - Purity of Ice - Herald of Ice (for more damage) or Tempest Shield (if going for block later and prefer the extra block to Herald of Ice) - Reduced Mana

CwDT (max level) - Inc Duration - Molten Shell - Immortal Call

CwDT (lvl 1) - Enduring Cry (lvl 5)

Assassin's Mark (Critical Weakness)

Arctic Armour

If you don't have enough slots, you could drop Molten Shell in your second CwDT, or Faster Casting for Lightning Warp.

Bandits

Normal: +40 hp or passive

Cruel: passive

Merciless: power charge (if going PCoC) or passive

The +40 is now less important than it used to be, so take it if you think you will struggle to get lots of life on gear, or take the passive if not.

Preferred gear

Chest: Cloak of Defiance (required)

Helmet: Mindspiral unique, or rare (life, mana, resists, ES)

Gloves: rare (life, mana, resists, ES, strength, dexterity)

Boots: rare (movement speed, life, mana, resists, ES)

Belt: rare (life, mana, resists, ES)

Shield: rare (life, mana, resists, ES, spell damage, mana regen)

Wand: rare (spell damage, cast speed, crit chance, cold damage)

Rings: rare (life, mana, mana regen (50+%), resists, ES, crit chance, strength, dexterity)

Amulet: rare (life, mana, mana regen, resists, crit multiplier, strength, dexterity)

Note about numbers of affixes: try to get items with 5 or fewer affixes, so you can craft onto them, and try to get 1% cold leech on everything (not sure which items can get this affix).

If going for block and spell block: use Rathpith Globe shield and Rainbowstride boots. These are kind of expensive so they are an optional luxury.

Finally keep in mind this is all off the top of my head so it's possible some of those affixes don't spawn on the item types.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have other questions, keeping in mind I'm yet to start playing this build! I'd also like to acknowledge Svenn for coming up with the build idea, I hope I haven't hijacked your thread.
Hideout of the Week S01E04 thread: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1088847
Last edited by Vultighjime on Aug 22, 2014, 12:24:09 AM
how about using Ball with spell totem to save the cast, or will that be completely useless?
Hello,

you can't spam one Spell with EE (after your BL). because the Buff is Alternating and not stacking from another Element hit.

So once a mob got hit by Ice Spear it will have that +25% resistance buff.
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Elemental_Equilibrium
Christmas comes early - The Awakening!
┊  ┊  ┊
┊  ┊  ┊
┊  ★  ☆
Last edited by rusher21 on Aug 22, 2014, 7:42:43 AM
Has anybody mentioned dual curse yet? Elemental Weakness + Frostbite could be very powerful too, along with cold pen. Maybe as an end-level pick up?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info