[2.2] Guide for Life based Crit Dagger Reave

"
firemonk98 wrote:
Around what level do you figure that one should switch from flame totem, freezing pulse, etc. to reave and retract the ele damage nodes?

There isn't a fixed level, you switch when you have a 4L + decent phys one-handed weapon and at least 54 points into your tree.
Pupicitas: lv. 100 Shadow
[2.1] Guide for Life based Crit Dagger Reave Shadow: /994474
EU Officer of Umbra Exiles: /732431
Does there happen to be any videos of this build in action?
Hi, very nice build, really enjoying reave. I chose yours because it was one of the few non-Bino's out there, but as I get into higher levels, I do have some questions regarding gear and what more to do.

Firstly, I decided that removing Doryani's and instead putting in Death's Hand was a very nice choice. This freed up the PCoC gem, which allowed me to downgrade (temporarily) to a 5L Belly and get some extra life. Why do you not use it in the guide? I'm sure you've been asked this before, but there are obviously a lot of pages to search through.

Second, how exactly do you manage your defenses? I get around 38% chance eva plus the dodge, and 4600 life with the Belly. With maxed resists, I feel very squishy at anything above ilvl 76. Is it supposed to be this way? And, I'm aware that my gem setup is incomplete, is the immortal call really that influential in this defense?

Also, how do you feel about Darkray Vectors? The dodge seems like a nice addition, and I might be able to work around res issues.
Spoiler
This build takes zero jewel slots? Am I not getting something here, I feel like jewels are insanely strong and I don't see how a build should optimally take 0.
"
LifeIsShyt wrote:

Sadly I don't have any gameplay footage, otherwise I would have linked it in the OP.

"
Hi, very nice build, really enjoying reave. I chose yours because it was one of the few non-Bino's out there, but as I get into higher levels, I do have some questions regarding gear and what more to do.

Firstly, I decided that removing Doryani's and instead putting in Death's Hand was a very nice choice. This freed up the PCoC gem, which allowed me to downgrade (temporarily) to a 5L Belly and get some extra life. Why do you not use it in the guide? I'm sure you've been asked this before, but there are obviously a lot of pages to search through.

Death's Hand does not free up a gem slot. While you are able to stun in lower level content due to the overproportionally high dmg influence of your gear, you will not be able to reliably stun mobs in high maps or when playing in parties. Furthermore around 50% of our damage comes from elemental sources, so the phys to chaos conversion is not as effective as it might seem at first glance.

"
Second, how exactly do you manage your defenses? I get around 38% chance eva plus the dodge, and 4600 life with the Belly. With maxed resists, I feel very squishy at anything above ilvl 76. Is it supposed to be this way? And, I'm aware that my gem setup is incomplete, is the immortal call really that influential in this defense?

Also, how do you feel about Darkray Vectors? The dodge seems like a nice addition, and I might be able to work around res issues.
Spoiler

Belly scales your defences via %life, so a high base life pool is necessary. Using items without a life mod is therefore double hurting your survivability (missing life + unutilized scaling). You did not show your silltree progress, but I am quite sure that there are still missing life nodes, so you will also get some additional survivability from that source. Reaching 5.5k Hp with this build is not a problem and sufficiently tanky for endgame mapping.

"
LifeIsShyt wrote:
This build takes zero jewel slots? Am I not getting something here, I feel like jewels are insanely strong and I don't see how a build should optimally take 0.

Direct quote from the OP:
"If you have a really good Jewel, taking the Jewel slot can be better than the +1 Frenzy Charges and 18% Charge Duration nodes."
There are also some other nodes that you can theoretically exchange for a jewel slot, but this depends on your jewel. I rather provide a tree without jewels, so that players have the option to swap in a jewel slot in case they happen to get a really good one than excluding otherwise crucial nodes for a jewel slot that gets then filled by a random inefficient jewel just because the player does not have jewels with the essential mods.
"
candoerfer wrote:
"
LifeIsShyt wrote:

"

Death's Hand does not free up a gem slot. While you are able to stun in lower level content due to the overproportionally high dmg influence of your gear, you will not be able to reliably stun mobs in high maps or when playing in parties. Furthermore around 50% of our damage comes from elemental sources, so the phys to chaos conversion is not as effective as it might seem at first glance.

Are you seriously not able to stun mobs in e.g 76 maps with 50k+ tooltip DPS?

The portion of your damage that comes as elemental is broken down to this

100% physical
+ 30-38% as fire
+ 30-38% as cold

That's nearly 42%.

So unless you're saying that hatred is also not as good as you might think, there's no claim behind unholy might being a bad source of damage. Even on a lvl 70 character with a Bino's you'll get over 6k tooltip DPS.

With an atziri's promise you'll actually be leeching decent chunks of HP because of unholy might.

Death's hand does not convert your already existing physical damage to chaos. It adds 30% of your physical damage as chaos. Like hatred.

And that's how you stun mobs in 76+ maps.
Last edited by Qwark28 on Nov 12, 2015, 1:28:01 PM
"
Qwark28 wrote:

76 are low, everything is possible there. Raw tooltip doesn't say anything since stun is calculated from your hit dmg not total DPS. You can easily stun with ground slam compared to high APS builds like Reave. Also full party is 600% mob hp, which makes it even more unlikey to stun.

"
Qwark28 wrote:

100% physical
+ 30-38% as fire
+ 30-38% as cold

That's nearly 42%.

Damage breakdown: 100% phys + (0,38% Hatred +0,44 AddedFire +0,15 HoA) = 1,97%.
Also only ~50% of your total damage is physical and the chaos conversion only applies to that part raising you from 197% to 227%, which is a mere 15% increase.

"
Qwark28 wrote:
So unless you're saying that hatred is also not as good as you might think, there's no claim behind unholy might being a bad source of damage. Even on a lvl 70 character with a Bino's you'll get over 6k tooltip DPS.

15% damage increase is really nothing amazing, you can roughly get that with a rare weapon aswell.

"
Qwark28 wrote:
With an atziri's promise you'll actually be leeching decent chunks of HP because of unholy might.

Or use a rare offhand and profit from the leech all the time because it actually increases your phys dmg.

"
Qwark28 wrote:
Death's hand does not convert your already existing physical damage to chaos. It adds 30% of your physical damage as chaos. Like hatred.

That's what I already said.
"
candoerfer wrote:

"

"

Spoiler

Belly scales your defences via %life, so a high base life pool is necessary. Using items without a life mod is therefore double hurting your survivability (missing life + unutilized scaling). You did not show your silltree progress, but I am quite sure that there are still missing life nodes, so you will also get some additional survivability from that source. Reaching 5.5k Hp with this build is not a problem and sufficiently tanky for endgame mapping.

I've done up to 77 maps with this character, mostly due to defense restrictions. I've had no trouble generating power charges with Death's Hand, but I suppose that may change with 3+ people and higher map tiers. I've also been trying out a spectral throw PCoC setup as a secondary skill, with much success (saw this on a mirrored reave build, looked handy). So, in regards to power charge generation, I really don't have any issues.

For life, I realize my gear is lacking a bit. I plan on upgrading my rings to some with high life when I get the currency. The amulet I actually bought without the fire and rarity, and exalted twice, and was pretty pissed when it didn't roll life at all, but it's too good otherwise not to use. I'm pretty sure I took the same life nodes as in your build.
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYAAAYAXgSxBbUHHgguDPINjQ3RDkgRlhUgFfYWvxmOGbQj9iT9JpUqCy2DMHEwfDIBN9Q6QkcGR35JUUp9S3hMYE2SUUdVS13yYEFh4mHrYnlirGNDY3BlTWqMbAhsjHBScFZw1XpTfXWE2Yd2idOMNo19jb-QG5UulWaaE5smnaqi2aOKpcumf6c0sNixs7IZtMW1SLk-vTa-p8LsyBTPetN-1CPYdtvU2-fdqOOf51To1u0_7UHtg-4O73rw1fGK8uHz6vVv9qP2_PzF_rr_3g==?accountName=Wheeshnaw&characterName=Le_Hacker_Forchann

I've tested the Death's Hand and Doryani's in comparison as well, and I can confirm significantly higher DPS comes from the Death's Hand than Doryani's (mine below for reference to rolls)
"
candoerfer wrote:
"
Qwark28 wrote:

76 are low, everything is possible there. Raw tooltip doesn't say anything since stun is calculated from your hit dmg not total DPS. You can easily stun with ground slam compared to high APS builds like Reave. Also full party is 600% mob hp, which makes it even more unlikey to stun.

"
Qwark28 wrote:

100% physical
+ 30-38% as fire
+ 30-38% as cold

That's nearly 42%.

Also only ~50% of your total damage is physical and the chaos conversion only applies to that part raising you from 197% to 227%, which is a mere 15% increase.

"
Qwark28 wrote:

15% damage increase is really nothing amazing, you can roughly get that with a rare weapon aswell.

"
Qwark28 wrote:

Or use a rare offhand and profit from the leech all the time because it actually increases your phys dmg.

"
Qwark28 wrote:

30% as chaos is unresisted and cannot be reflected, you could get the same damage with an offhand but you'd have to deal with DW mechanics. Doryani's is strictly inferior to death's hand.

In a party of 6 scenario there are some compromises you're just gonna have to make. Pcoc is good in a large party, death's hand is better solo and up to 3 people.

If 76 maps are low for you on a system that goes 68-82, I'd like to see how you survive doing 80-82 maps with a video.
"
Qwark28 wrote:
"
candoerfer wrote:
"
Qwark28 wrote:

"
Qwark28 wrote:

100% physical
+ 30-38% as fire
+ 30-38% as cold

That's nearly 42%.

"
Qwark28 wrote:

"
Qwark28 wrote:

"
Qwark28 wrote:

30% as chaos is unresisted and cannot be reflected, you could get the same damage with an offhand but you'd have to deal with DW mechanics. Doryani's is strictly inferior to death's hand.

In a party of 6 scenario there are some compromises you're just gonna have to make. Pcoc is good in a large party, death's hand is better solo and up to 3 people.

If 76 maps are low for you on a system that goes 68-82, I'd like to see how you survive doing 80-82 maps with a video.

76 is low. This isn't a linear system.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info