endurance charge/stun love

"
exsea wrote:
"
Icholas wrote:
I still remember sadly when they nerfed EC from 5% to 4% and slapped on the global cooldown so you couldn't just run two gems and double cry your charges up. Happy days.

I also remember when flick strike didnt have a global cooldown..... qwert left/right/middle mouse.. ALL FLICKER lol

"
"
gilrad wrote:
Endurance charges from a ECoS are pretty easy to get... until you find yourself facing against one of the act bosses that isn't surrounded by adds. Good luck getting any stun on that life pool using only a 5-link.

I perma-stun piety merciless with 3l setup (Heavy Strike-Stun-Endurance Charge on Melee Stun) with a 220dps weapon.

Also OP, there was a reason endurance charges got nerfed from 5% res and armour per charge to 4%, they are too damn strong if you build around them

i dont really care about the nerf as it i can live with 4%. doing merciless peity with 3L is quite easy, you're a proof of it. try imagining this then, doing a map with "monsters cannot be stunned". good luck getting 5 charges fast and consistantly

But the thing is poe is about counters, there is (or it should be) a bane for everyone's build. The problem does not lay on endurance charges but the fact that the other charges or better frenzy charges (since power charges work very similar to endurance) are easy to get/easier utilized in more builds/and also are more used than the others.

The main problem is Blood Rage for that matter (since frenzy skill is at the best average skill).With blood rage if you go ci, you got free leech and frenzy charge on kill, if you go Low Life you get an awfully huge amount of attack speed plus leech plus frenzy charge on kill with the downside of 4% max HP life degeneterated, but because your build is low life that degen is no more than 50 (so no downside too). If you go normal hp build then you need a fair amount of chaos res and you are good to go too.

And all of the above without counting the special frenzy using passive node and uniques, Blood Dance for example eliminates the endurance charge utility effect (0.2% life regen per endurance charge in the marauder area below Resolute Techniques) by giving 1% fucking point of life regen per frenzy, darkray vector give 2%dodge per frenzy etc. Even the passive frenzy related utility node gives 4% evasion per frenzy.

Its not that endurance charges are not good or powerfull enough, its that frenzy charges are utilized in way more efficient ways and in "cheaper" slots when talking about the items.

Anyway i feel your discomfort regarding maintaing and utilizing endurance charges, but i truly believe its because frenzy charges overshadow the others
Inundated with cockroaches, I am

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216 - labyrinth rework ideas/suggestions
"
exsea wrote:

Enduring cry (cries) works best when surrounded by a lot of mobs, else it generates a measely 1 endurance charge.

high level EC + increased AOE. I regularly get 4 or 5 charges with one cast.

overall i think you're correct. the other two charges seem easier to develop/maintain.
EC + spell echo: enjoy plenty of endurance charges.
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
"

But the thing is poe is about counters, there is (or it should be) a bane for everyone's build. The problem does not lay on endurance charges but the fact that the other charges or better frenzy charges (since power charges work very similar to endurance) are easy to get/easier utilized in more builds/and also are more used than the others.

The main problem is Blood Rage for that matter (since frenzy skill is at the best average skill).With blood rage if you go ci, you got free leech and frenzy charge on kill, if you go Low Life you get an awfully huge amount of attack speed plus leech plus frenzy charge on kill with the downside of 4% max HP life degeneterated, but because your build is low life that degen is no more than 50 (so no downside too). If you go normal hp build then you need a fair amount of chaos res and you are good to go too.

And all of the above without counting the special frenzy using passive node and uniques, Blood Dance for example eliminates the endurance charge utility effect (0.2% life regen per endurance charge in the marauder area below Resolute Techniques) by giving 1% fucking point of life regen per frenzy, darkray vector give 2%dodge per frenzy etc. Even the passive frenzy related utility node gives 4% evasion per frenzy.

Its not that endurance charges are not good or powerfull enough, its that frenzy charges are utilized in way more efficient ways and in "cheaper" slots when talking about the items.

Anyway i feel your discomfort regarding maintaing and utilizing endurance charges, but i truly believe its because frenzy charges overshadow the others

the way you highlight frenzy really does show how frenzy overshadows the others, which is why in my initial post i decided to just view the mechanics of charges based on skillgems and passives. to me all the uniques do make frenzy quite powerful but i can see the power of the other charges as well. only thing is i feel endurance charge generation is really gimped out atm.

frenzy,frenzy few times, flick flick flick, repeat
crit,crit,crit, discharge, repeat
EC! wait awhile.... EC! wait awhile... EC! eh... all mobs are dead, better hurry to the next batch before... oh no... charges all timed out...
alternatively
stun, stun, stun, IMMORTAL! WAHAHAHA I M UNKILLABLE!!!.... later.... hi atziri.... eh? immune to stuns... omfg... ok i ll do regular maps instead. eh? immune to stuns?

"
EC + spell echo: enjoy plenty of endurance charges.

use this on a single boss with no adds = 2 endurance charges. wait another few seconds to recast. additionally casting EC requires a second, also uses mana.

"
plasticeyes wrote:
"
exsea wrote:

Enduring cry (cries) works best when surrounded by a lot of mobs, else it generates a measely 1 endurance charge.

high level EC + increased AOE. I regularly get 4 or 5 charges with one cast.

overall i think you're correct. the other two charges seem easier to develop/maintain.

increased AOE = more mana consumption. either way getting 4/5 charges requires a lot of mobs around you. yeah the other 2 charges are so damn easy to obtain.

"
Vipermagi wrote:
Every build has map mods they just cannot handle well or at all. That's by design.

atziri is immune to stun. should i spend 20++ regrets to respec?

having even a 0.001 second stun on atziri would at least give me something. immune to stun totally shuts stun builds off. for crit builds at least the crit is harder to trigger on maps that have enfeeble or some "reduced chance for crit/reduced crit damage" maps but it doesnt totally shut them out.
[Removed by Support]
"
Lord_of_Error wrote:
"
Icholas wrote:
I still remember sadly when they nerfed EC from 5% to 4% and slapped on the global cooldown so you couldn't just run two gems and double cry your charges up. Happy days.

You can use Spell Echo to do two ECs in quick succession. Spell Echo bypasses the cooldown for that 2nd cry.

I hadn't thought of that, new gems ftw. Thanks.
We tested it extensively
"
exsea wrote:

If you feel like every character must be able to kill Atziri, then yes.

Atziri is immune to Stun so you cannot just kill her with 1k Life and Heavy Strike. Stunlock is still ridiculous; Hrimnor's Hymn (level 17 Unique hammer) can stunlock Cruel Piety (level 52). An actually good hammer...?
The price of being amazing.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
exsea wrote:

If you feel like every character must be able to kill Atziri, then yes.

Atziri is immune to Stun so you cannot just kill her with 1k Life and Heavy Strike. Stunlock is still ridiculous; Hrimnor's Hymn (level 17 Unique hammer) can stunlock Cruel Piety (level 52). An actually good hammer...?
The price of being amazing.

i dont really rely too much on stun locking, i do rely on endurance generation to keep alive which is something that i need stun to be able to do reliably. killing Atziri with 1K life and heavy strike is more of an exploit, but i believe ALL bosses, not only atziri should have some sort of "tenacity" effect where status effects are capped at 0.1 second duration or even 0.01 rather than just a complete immunity

additionally i dont really care about stun but care more about endurance charges

try and view it this way:

what builds do stun immune creatures shutdown?
- Stun reliant builds, this pairs with endurance on stun reliant builds
- With 0 stun duration and 0 chance to stun the threat of being attacked is certain.
- With no stun, you gain no endurance charges during the battle unless you spend time to cast EC which gives you a variable amount of endurance charges at the cost of your time to cast as well as your mana
- Sure you can keep casting EC, but I want to fight, not look for a safe opening to cast EC

what builds do shock/flammability/freeze/chill immune creatures shutdown?
- None, you still have elemental damage
[Removed by Support]
"
exsea wrote:

Burn. 75% Resists -> enemy takes 1/8th Burn Damage. If you want to Burn something, you absolutely need to be able to reduce Resistances a lot, and Pen doesn't apply to Damage over Time. Because you cannot Burn the enemy down, "the threat of being attacked is certain" because they sure as hell are coming to punch you in the dick.

So that's about as harsh as Stun Immune. It's one very specific setup that is shut down, and the backup plan is suboptimal (but only because actually casting EC is now a problem?).
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
exsea wrote:

Burn. 75% Resists -> enemy takes 1/8th Burn Damage. If you want to Burn something, you absolutely need to be able to reduce Resistances a lot, and Pen doesn't apply to Damage over Time. Because you cannot Burn the enemy down, "the threat of being attacked is certain" because they sure as hell are coming to punch you in the dick.

So that's about as harsh as Stun Immune. It's one very specific setup that is shut down, and the backup plan is suboptimal (but only because actually casting EC is now a problem?).

endurance on stun gives melee players survivability, at minimum (3 charge) thats 12% damage reduction and all resists

stun gives a brief window of the enemy not doing anything, thus increase survivability

compared to burn damage which is just a small bonus towards fire damage, you at least have fire damage.

given your fire build n my endurance on stun build, fighting atziri you only lose burn damage, you still do retain fire damage. i would be at a huge disadvantage to you where (i assume you're using spells?) you can kite while i have to tank atziri somehow
[Removed by Support]
"
exsea wrote:
compared to burn damage which is just a small bonus towards fire damage, you at least have fire damage.

There's a really big difference between a build that happens to trigger Ignite, and a Burn build. For an actual Burn build, that "small bonus towards Fire Damage" is their main source of Damage potential, and thus also one of the most potent methods of reducing incoming damage (dead enemies don't hit you). That's why I specifically pointed out "Burn" as opposed to "Fire Damage".

Melee being at a disadvantageous position compared to a ranged build is true for any situation, Stun Immune or not.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info