Rare items revamp and itemization feedback

GGG said that a unique item should never be better than a rare one...The problem is that currently,rares can't compete with uniques. They lack good stats, more interesting ones, more fun ones, more variety and more...well just more of everything basically.

All rares will look the same. Especially for helm, boots, chests.

Let's take a quick look on some of the most useless stats we have access to :

Damage Return
: ok let's be serious. One, if not THE most troll stat in the game. The amount is incredibly low, it's only physical and only when hit by melee attacks. Nothing to see here.

Life Leech : Usefull only for a portion of builds due to the only physical nature of it. I would prefer general leech in lower amount, rather than reserving leech to physical, but that s an other subject.

Mana Leech : Mmmhh

Life on Hit: Derisory amount, reserved to slot where we can get way better mods.

Life Regen : Ahahahah. Make it a % or remove it from the stat pool. Nothing but an artificial way to make rolling items more difficult.

Mana on Kill : Ohh fap fap fap can't wait to get a max rolled stat to have an insane 6 mana on kill !

Reduce Attribut Requirements : Should at least affect gems on the item. currently useless.

Stun/stun recovery : Can be usefull for builds that use stun or don't wanna use chayula or US. But once again, a stat we don't want on items as there's way more usefull things and SotV introduced immunity boss...

Light Radius
: Accuracy is coupled with it to act as lub, but this stat is a stright up slap in the face.

So it leaves us with the "good" mods, wich are the same. A rare is currently considered good with :

1- Primary defensive stat (ar/es/ev)
2- Hybrid defensive roll
3- life
4- fire res
5- Light res
6- cold res

It can differ for stuff like runspeed on boots or + summon gems on helm...such variety !!

Current meta game seems to force people to wear the minimum amount of rares because unique items do the interesting and fun stuff. Vaal orbs tried to bring some diversity but in such a RNG heavy and poor way that i consider it negligeable.

Where are the fun and cool stats like : Damage against certain enemy types, proc chance, %chance to freeze, shock, mind control, offensive/defensive abilities, chances to add a certain amount of damage, confuse enemies, cooldown reduction, chances to blind, knockback, stun etc etc.

Here's a picture of 3 Titan Quest items, with stats that can appear on rares. I was too lazy to find rare items pictures.

Spoiler

We have so few possible stats on rares that the only difficulty comes from the fact that they got diluted among all the bs ones. They also can spawn at any given amount on any Ilvl. Rolling +1 aa on a lvl 80 item is just plain stupid and frustrating.
Even with so few interesting stats it's incredibly hard to find a really good rare. It's frustrating but more importantly, predictable. We always know what we're looking for on rares, there's no surprises. ID the item, check the stat and the moment you see life regen or mana on kill it's already brutally vendored.

The overall progression of rares is clunky and not exciting at all. Simply bigger numbers of the same stat over and over.
I know that with the current crafti...gambling system we have, simply adding stats can't be viable. GGG would need to redraw everything from scratch pretty much, but i think it's necessary.

Maker of ZeeL's Amplifier.
Last edited by Kagari on Jul 30, 2014, 11:45:08 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
The good ones you listed only really applies to chests and boots. Not sure why you think LL and ML are bad mods (except for casters). Who really need more mods to benefit from overall.

Attack speed
Mana
Main Stat
Ele dmg
Physical dmg
Mana regeneration
WED
IIR
Crit chance
Crit dmg
Cast speed
Accuracy value
% block
Spell dmg.

I think that's it...

I've been saying rare itemization is lackluster and boring for a long time.

Just take a look at this - http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Item_Affix to see how bland and rng intensive rare itemization is.
I'd rather take many useful affixes of the apropiate level than searching the same affixes in a pool of useless low level affixes.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
The good ones you listed only really applies to chests and boots. Not sure why you think LL and ML are bad mods (except for casters). Who really need more mods to benefit from overall.

Attack speed
Mana
Main Stat
Ele dmg
Physical dmg
Mana regeneration
WED
IIR
Crit chance
Crit dmg
Cast speed
Accuracy value
% block
Spell dmg.

I think that's it...

That's why i somewhat precised i was talking about chest/helm/boots in particular as these are the most relevant slots for my exemples.
Weapons have their own share of good/bad mods obviously. Being able to roll resists on weapons for exemple is just plain stupid. On the other hand, not being able to roll many stats that make ring/amulets good on other slots is a problem to.

If helms could roll attack speed for exemple, i would sometime consider dropping a resist or HP for this AS roll, but right now, there's no customization or choices to make at all on most of the armor slots :(
Chests need something. No doubt about that. Gloves are fine, boots and helms could use something. I wouldn't want IAS on helms though. I'd rather chests get something first, since they currently offer the least.

Not sure what....
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
Chests need something. No doubt about that. Gloves are fine, boots and helms could use something. I wouldn't want IAS on helms though. I'd rather chests get something first, since they currently offer the least.

Not sure what....

Being able to have 8 stats on a chest could help IF there were something relevant except chaos resist for the additionnal slots.
If we really get pants in the near future as Chris said, we might se some changes regarding items but i'm afraid it'll just be an other slot that doesn't bring some fresh air into the stat system :(
Last edited by Kagari on Jul 30, 2014, 6:00:03 PM
"
SL4Y3R wrote:

Not sure what....

how is this suggestion any different from power creep.

presumably, the new mod would be worth getting, and thus it would be better (more powerful) than what it was replacing...thus, power creep
"
such variety !!

I just want to add that this quote pretty much summarizes your post to me.

I don't think it's ideal to use as many uniques as possible, it's just easier because of the RNG involved with rares.

There are many more good mods as the one you mentioned but I agree there are some pretty useless ones.

I share your point about low mod levels on high level items...
"
Veruski wrote:
"
SL4Y3R wrote:

Not sure what....

how is this suggestion any different from power creep.

presumably, the new mod would be worth getting, and thus it would be better (more powerful) than what it was replacing...thus, power creep

Power creep should be kept at a minimum. However, considering many many builds use unique chests, and rares are supposed to be better, something is missing. I would rather use a lightning coil or CoD in many/most of my builds over a rare Armour. That's a problem. This problem exists because there's a lack of options with chest pieces. As well as helms like the OP noted.

Edit: I would like to see more implicit bonuses on Armour types, like the res, MS, and spell dmg that are currently offered.
Last edited by SL4Y3R on Jul 30, 2014, 6:17:19 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info