Troll... An interesting verb.

"
solwitch wrote:
"
FusionReactor wrote:
I try and be respectful to everyone both in real life and on the internet. However, the inevitable happens and someone shows their ass and I lose respect for them. There are a couple people here that are in that category. I won't mention names, out of what little respect I have for them.

I read your previous posts, you should know by now off topic is very unforgivable land. I don't think anyone really means any harm, they are just having fun. I digress...

This place is far better than General Discussion. I've been there before and bad things happened.
Agreed. It is interesting.

Now tell me: What's the difference between troll and troller as a noun other than one isn't actually a word?

It's likely that 'troller' needs to be a word for people whose grasp of English is so weak they can't comprehend that a noun and a verb can be the same thing -- although it is also true that 'troll' was originally a noun, obviously. To make it a verb, 'to troll' (essentially, to behave like a troll, in the non-mythological sense) means we need 'trolling' and 'trolled', which is why 'troller' seems to make sense, but is actually the sort of mistake a non-English speaker would make.

Or maybe 'troller' can be used to distinguish between those hairy monsters that lurk under bridges (troll) and arseholes on the internet (troller)?

Either way, it's a crass shadow of what used to be, back when 'mindfucking' was much more the goal and the result was usually someone who couldn't much more than sputter and curse. Nowadays it's a cheap trick of 'haha, made you look' or 'lol I wasted a whole two minutes of your life'. Gosh, yeah. Super achievement there.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Jul 28, 2014, 2:48:35 AM
"
Charan wrote:

Wrong area to post... Already 10 steps ahead of you.
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
There is something seriously morally wrong with you if you think causing grief or anger in others is 'fun'. Trolls should be exiled to some iceberg floating in the arctic, with absolutely ZERO access to communications.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
"
FusionReactor wrote:
I try and be respectful to everyone both in real life and on the internet. However, the inevitable happens and someone shows their ass and I lose respect for them. There are a couple people here that are in that category. I won't mention names, out of what little respect I have for them.

That or it'd get you a RBS/probation for personal harassment. I'm sure that has *nothing* to do with it though.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
SkyCore wrote:
There is something seriously morally wrong with you if you think causing grief or anger in others is 'fun'. Trolls should be exiled to some iceberg floating in the arctic, with absolutely ZERO access to communications.

It's not real grief or anger, Sky. It's just online.

Why do people troll on the net? Because they can't be punched in the face for being a dick.

It all comes back to (a lack of) repercussions. Always.

I still don´t get your guys definition of this whole "troll" thingy.
Can´t blame a comedian for trying to entertain the masses.
Can´t blame a lonely person on a pc for trying to establish connections to others.
Or whatever reasons.

Now, what you guys have to understand is that the behaivor of judging someone to be a "troll", is actually no different from judging someone to be "jewish", excluded if its just a judgement of making fun of someone else. Not much difference.
No surprise, but human nature.

What i find way more entertaining is actually influencing humans, i like the increase of words like Great, Zero, and Congratulations and some more on the forums.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
It's far too broad, yes, but I still read 'troll' as someone who instigates flammable situations for no reason other than entertainment. This thus excludes things like Chris' teasing of forthcoming content -- there's a reason to that, which is to incite excitement and anticipation.

There is, for me, nothing productive or positive about trolling. It's funny only to those who aren't being targeted, and even then not always. Troublesome, wasteful and insipid. Trolling is for those who can't get attention any other way.

But that's just my definition.

I find it fun then again I'm pretty sadistic and I do mean that but doesn't mean I can't control it.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Last edited by Coconutdoggy on Jul 28, 2014, 3:46:18 AM
Each person has their own definition of what a troll is. For many it is simply a annoying person. I can understand that, but I always felt a troll was someone that went the extra step to antagonize others for no reason other than their own morbid ego.

Often picking a person at random and riding them until they leave. And the more flashy the exit the better.

Morons that simply cuss and name call are easily defeated if you care to spend the time trolling them.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info