Screenshot of New Merveil Fight

Cool. More early game desync deaths. Should do wonders for player retention.

Keep up the good work, GGG.

No. Calm down. Learn to enjoy losing.
I made the mistake of fighting Mereviel as a summoner.

Great job, folks. It's a fun fight, and I can tell you put a heck of a lot of work into it. You also made the fight completely IMPOSSIBLE to progress past for a summoner.

Let me explain with a bit of storytime. I drop a portal just as I go in (thank god!) and I've got four zombies in tow. They're augmented with the health support gem. Remembering how the fight used to be, I went in decked out in cold resist. Mereviel appears and my zombies go in. Behind her I drop six skeletons and I start spamming those new flaming skull things.

In two seconds all my pets are dead and I'm running like hell. I decide to forgo the pets since they can't last past a quarter second past summoning. I kite with the flaming skull things and finally get her to form two.

Here's the impossibility. Not only am I doding twelve thousand funnels at once, I'm also dealing with upwards of a hundred trash mobs at once. Now, this wouldn't be so bad, if I had some AoE ability, but I don't. I take a moment, pop every health vial I have at once just so I can stand still a moment, and summon every critter I have.

They die instantly. I die instantly plus a quarter moment.

Over and over and over again I tried in different ways. The number of funnels I have to deal with is absurd. The number of adds that comes in is absurd. I can't even kill a whole spawn of trash mobs before more come. It gets to the point where even they can't move because there's so damned many of them.

Now, if I were a newbie summoner to the game, I would've metaphorically thrown the controller into the TV and played something else.

I can appreciate a game trying to give us a challenge. But something like this? On normal? What the hell? Yeah, I did eventually get past it, by finding a fireball gem I put in my stash ages ago. I had to get past that damned boss fight by spawning, spamming fireball, and dying for maybe ten consecutive times just to get room to move. A little over a half hour later, I got one of the sub-bosses dead. I don't even want to think about how long it took me to wrap things up and how many recall scrolls I went through.

I seriously doubt this went out without a lot of player testing. Maybe you should include a summoner in that testing. You know... so in the future you don't make a scenario that's impossible for an entire playstyle. Changing tactics is one thing. Completely overwhelming a player (On NORMAL!) with fifty some funnels and a couple hundred trash mobs is something else entirely.

You guys need to look at this again. Your quality control was out to lunch the day this got OK'd.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info