Thoughts on race season 8

"
jstq wrote:
PoE racing is dying, and here is why:

3) From my point of view - now there is like... 0 good vanilla shadow players, so every vanilla was an easy demigod for me while I was playing very slow and safe. I remember I had one with a level 19 in 1hr turbo. Many quit, some play other classes. Again - because of (2).

Wow bro..

but in all honesty why not play a class that gives you a chance of getting #1 overall when you do the exact same thing, if not better. After awhile demis just feel useless to me and I rather try and achieve the extra three points if I can.
Last edited by Rithz on Jul 21, 2014, 4:54:33 PM
"
Throzz wrote:
I've always figured the best way to approach a racing season was based on a person's specific goals such as:

Top X in Season Point
X Season Points
Race rewards
Demigods
Winning certain races
Surviving Challenging Race Mods
Signature Records
Specific Race Records
Personal Bests
Overall Improving

IMO there seems to be a major overemphasis on the top 20 season placing which has lead to a toxic attitude among a lot of the racers that are "forced" to play "bad" races they don't like. I don't see any problem with playing safe or farming side zones. It's just a different way to race, specially for those who don't complete for first in class spots.

Getting back on topic, the main thing I disliked about this season was DC being the signature and too large of a percentage of Burst/Decent races. Its fine to have all those races as long as there are plenty of regular races to balance them out. I greatly enjoyed the few random standard-like races I was able to do. Heck I even enjoyed the 3 hour lethal immolation party race.

Couldnt agree more. I dont know why ppl care so much about the rewards they are a nice reward but I dont play for the rewards I play because I enjoy racing. I also play because I always feel like I can do better and am always trying to get better. I also agree with there being too many DC, Burst, Decent, and I'll throw in EL. Would like to see more normal races next season.
"
terrex wrote:

We can beat them! I highly doubt maphack will tell them how to kill turbo brutus, how to get out of frigged up crazy tough situations etc.. They have to cheese their way instead of learning through trial and error, through experience. A hack cannot mimic these actions to get you through it. We just need more challenging vanilla races, less stupid rng lagfest tedius races like BLAMT / fracturing.

This is my approach bro =). ppl will always cheat no matter what the event is poe racing or moto x racing. Its up to the best ppl to get even better. The one thing that is always going to hurt the ppl cheating is that they are not learning anything. They are being guided through with their magical arrows and blue pack spawns and shit. They dont know how to race and its up to the best to show that cheating isnt worth it in the end. We just need to stop our bitching, stop depending that GGG will find a fix, and just whoop ass
Ill save myself a page or two of typing and just say that i mostly agree with jstq, slix and janimauks sentiments, and think that racing has devolved in general since cb and is in need of major improvements across the board.

"
SlixSC wrote:
children's laughter makes me feel sick

You terrible, terrible man.
IGN: KoTao
Last edited by KoTao on Jul 21, 2014, 7:02:45 PM
"
terrex wrote:
They have to cheese their way instead of learning through trial and error, through experience

Currency management and item progression you say? Herpderp +1 fire wand/sceptre and flameblast everything.
"
renruB wrote:
"
Throzz wrote:
I've always figured the best way to approach a racing season was based on a person's specific goals such as:

Top X in Season Point
X Season Points
Race rewards
Demigods
Winning certain races
Surviving Challenging Race Mods
Signature Records
Specific Race Records
Personal Bests
Overall Improving

IMO there seems to be a major overemphasis on the top 20 season placing which has lead to a toxic attitude among a lot of the racers that are "forced" to play "bad" races they don't like. I don't see any problem with playing safe or farming side zones. It's just a different way to race, specially for those who don't complete for first in class spots.

Getting back on topic, the main thing I disliked about this season was DC being the signature and too large of a percentage of Burst/Decent races. Its fine to have all those races as long as there are plenty of regular races to balance them out. I greatly enjoyed the few random standard-like races I was able to do. Heck I even enjoyed the 3 hour lethal immolation party race.

Couldnt agree more. I dont know why ppl care so much about the rewards they are a nice reward but I dont play for the rewards I play because I enjoy racing. I also play because I always feel like I can do better and am always trying to get better.

But don't you see what I mean? Your personal goal of "self-improvement" is not at all encouraged by how the ladder works. In this system people like you are the exception, because everyone else realizes that there is absolutely no point in improving when you can win the best prizes without being the best. (and I suspect that this is part of the reason why jstq complained earlier about a lack of top competition, people simply aren't encouraged to play as fast as they can and to compete with the best)

I mean it baffles me that within this community the statement "the best prizes should only be won by the best players" is somehow a controversial statement.

Seriously go watch any sport/competitive game/etc.. I don't think there is a single sport or competitive game in which someone can win the top prize without being, at the very least, one of the top players.

But hey it's path of exile so that's somehow ok and not a problem, because.... reasons.

Come on....
#1 Victim of Murphy's Law.
There are alot of stuff wrong with racing currently in my opinion but the biggest thing is the fact that GGG doesn't even consider racing to be competitive and they have no interest in making any changes for early/midgame for race balance.

I believe it would be better to just make racing leagues separate from actual game so you could add and test stuff that wouldn't affect actual game. All the events should also end in void. With small and limited resources that GGG currently has there is no way they could spare manpower to develop a scene that is extremely small minority of people playing the actual game. Honestly, even from the small minority, about 95% of players are just logging on to get those 3-6 points so they get rewards for perm and longer leagues.

Under these circumstances hoping there will come some extensive balance changes, reworks to ladder system or just bunch of quality of life issues to fix stuff like vendor rng etc is just unrealistic. The fact that alot top+casual players are fine with these issues does not help either. These are just my personal preferences, i can understand why people would like some of this stuff even if it kills competitiveness.

There hasn't been any actual changes to race gameplay since forever. Just three new modes that follow the exact same principle as vanilla races, but are more heavily rng depentant. Feels like once you reach certain "skill" level it's just a matter of time before you get bored... not because you want to but because GGG fails to go forward and develop racing.
Last edited by janimauk on Jul 22, 2014, 2:30:22 AM
"
SlixSC wrote:
It does not encourage players to do as well as they possibly can, it does not encourage players to improve their skills and compete with the best. It is a shitty system for competitive gaming.

This needs to be emphasized. For me to be winning 6 demigods this season on a class I've never touched nor even glanced at for 7 seasons prior is quite a testament to how bad the community is.

For a moment there I thought I was playing Guild Wars 2 which has arguably the playerbase with the lowest skill average in any game ever.

With regards to S8 and racing:
The entire racing ladder, reward system and balance design around the signature races are completely antithesis to the word competitive, all in an effort to entice and pander to the "casual" crowd. The season reward point brackets show this. The best (effort:reward) rewards are ALWAYS in the 80 and 135 bracket with 360 and 600 being mediocre most of the time and the 1000 reward being there because its the final one.

And yeah, the point bracket thing I actually asked some of the developers.

Frankly, I blame the tangible rewards that they're handing out. From the get go, season rewards should have been Alt-art skins with no economic value. If it were the case, we wouldn't be having this fucking issue of cheating and hacking so you can get these things to sell them off for real moolah.

Hey man, in some places in the world, that demigod you sold is probably going to pay off your rent for the next three months. If that's isn't a good enough incentive, I don't know what is.

P.S: The point system also actively encourages you to be mediocre because if you die there goes your points and thus, there goes your 80/135/220/360/etc reward.
Last edited by Lyralei on Jul 22, 2014, 2:57:38 AM
"
Lyralei wrote:
And yeah, the point bracket thing I actually asked some of the developers.

Frankly, I blame the tangible rewards that they're handing out. From the get go, season rewards should have been Alt-art skins with no economic value. If it were the case, we wouldn't be having this fucking issue of cheating and hacking so you can get these things to sell them off for real moolah.

Hey man, in some places in the world, that demigod you sold is probably going to pay off your rent for the next three months. If that's isn't a good enough incentive, I don't know what is.

P.S: The point system also actively encourages you to be mediocre because if you die there goes your points and thus, there goes your 80/135/220/360/etc reward.

as much as id like to see stuff like kaoms or voltaxic or other good and expensive items as reward it would be much better for the scene if all the items were non-tradeable skins
"
Lyralei wrote:

Pretty much.

The season ladder and reward system actively encourages players to go slower than they actually can, when it should be encouraging the exact opposite.
#1 Victim of Murphy's Law.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info