Self-cast Legacy Crit Discharger with Voll uniques by Markusz - 1.3 Ready!

(This picture is created by Joe Duncan http://joeduncan123.imgur.com/all/)

Welcome to my Discharger build thread!

I made this thread to show my and my friend's original build idea about self cast discharging, and how it is done properly!.

By properly I mean achieving a high but balanced damage and clear speed, prepare and survive to any situation in high level maps, to easily build a high level character.

See the gameplay and boss killing capabilities in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD6gablxLLM

The build focuses on End-game map clearing with high speed and much fun for those who like this skill. I marked the build as Legacy because it exists since the open beta Anarchy league, and it uses the legacy unique amulet: Voll's Devotion (normally cannot be dropped any more, unless through Zana's map mods).

Mechanics - read how it works

- The whole idea is based on the unique chest: Voll's Protector, which will give you one power charge for each enemy you hit with a critical strike (unlikely the gem: power charge on critical, what gives you only one charge per cast/attack).

- To kill monsters you first shoot Ice spear at monsters with high critical strike chance to gain Power Charges, if you gained some you use the Discharge gem to deal damage. Because of the chest and the very high crit chance, you will get as many Power Charges as many you hit with the Discharge in the monster pack. For the next Discharge you probably wont need to shoot Ice Spear again, beacause the chest keeps the Power Charges on.

- These charges can be augmented greatly with the unique amulet: Voll's Devotion, which gives you one endurance charge for each used or expired power charge, so you will also have endurance charges on all the time, which boosts your dps, adds burning damage, and also gives you phyiscal resistance.

- Using these two type of elemental damage and an Elemental Proliferation gem you add a very strong burning effect after discharging in a huge area with a long shock stack, which will continue damaging all reamining monsters.

- It is important that you should not use Blood Rage for this build to gain Frenzy Charges, because if you do so, you will destroy the corpses and you dont get the Elemental Proliferation effect without corpses.

Gear and Gems:

- My current Gear:

First note that the high price items mostly add only survivability, so the build can be done with medium-cost gear, read about it at the bottom.

The core items of the build are the two uniques: Voll's Protector to generate power charges, and Voll's Devotion to generate endurance charges easily.

An other important unique is Dream Fragments which helps countering the drawback of Voll's protector, the mana reduction, and adds Freeze immunity.

Atziri's Acuity is an excellent item for the build to increase the leech amount by using it instead of Vaal Pact passive which has only 40% effectiveness, and also adds instant manaleech, so you can have a lower mana pool. With Acuity it is highly recommended to scale Critical Multiplier instead of other bonuses, so you keep your non-critical strike damage low and not die to reflect.

In general you need high Energy Shield items with resists to gain a big hit point pool, and Critical Strike Chance on weapon, shield, and ring.

You can see my gem choices in the linked gear:
Self cast Ice Spear to generate the first power charges
The 2 x 4L CWDT low level spells help you that you always have power charges to discharge.

Main gem setup:

I have 2 different gem setups established for this build:

- Discharge - Life Leech - Mana Leech - Increased Critical Strikes - Increased Critical Damage - Faster Casting (run blood rage too!)

- Discharge - Life Leech - Mana Leech - Increased Critical Strikes - Increased Critical Damage - Elemental Prolifertion (dont run blood rage, because cold damage destroys corpses causing no prolif!)

With the recent 1.3 patch changes I havent tested all the gems but you can try Increased Area of Effect and Concentrated Effect, mostly with Vaal Pact (with Acuity it is highly recommended to scale Crit Multiplier to not die to reflect on non-critical strikes)

Passives Trees:

Witch tree, using Acuity gloves

Witch tree, using Vaal Pact

Scion tree, using Vaal Pact

These trees show my own preference, so you can change things if you feel like, getting more damage instead of ES, or picking up Conduit if you play in a party where its needed.

For lower level tree and budget version tips check the bottom of the thread.

- Breakdown of the passive tree:

- Bandit choices: Passive, Passive, Power Charge

Important keystones:

- Chaos Inoculation: You can achieve the highest hit-point pool with stacking Energy Shield, which is important for a high level character.
- Unwavering stance: You will need stun immunity for sure, because the build has low cast speed, so avoiding cast interruption and getting stun-locked is crucial!
- Ghost Reaver: You have only Energy Shield so you have too leech into that.
- Vaal Pact: Instant leech is crucial, but Vaal Pact is only needed if you cant afford Atziri's Acuity, otherwise you dont take this passive.

Choosing block nodes with increased Shield defenses is good for this build because most of your energy shield comes from your Shield, and attack block is a very efficient defense since you cant get much armour.

Stats:

- Tooltip with 7 Power Charges and 5 Endurance Charges:

- Offense:

- Defense:

Damage Balance and Reflect:
- The first question that comes to most people's mind about this build is Reflect. With my gear and ES amount (~10k) I found my damage (~50-60k average per hit) to be very safe against reflect. You might try to run with higher damage if you dont mind dying on rare occasions, but for me as a level 96+ character I always try to avoid dying and so I succeed.

I would like to mention some cases when encountering reflect:
- Without instant leech all the damage you deal multiplied by the number of monsters you hit is reflected to you as one big hit, and your life leech starts to fill back your ES after the big hit, that's why you need instant leech with this build!
- Once you have instant leech via Vaal Pact, you also need to have enough leech amount:
Your elemental resistance and your leech amount goes against the reflected damage. (You might have spell block but I dont like to rely on that)
If you run Vaal Pact you may find that you dont leech enough, so you get more damage back than you leech per monster, so even if you dont deal high damage you can die if you hit too big reflect packs.
- Once you have instant leech via Atziri Gloves, you will most likely have enough leech amount just by using the Life Leech gem, but you will encounter the problem that you dont have instant leech if you dont deal critical strike. The solution to this problem is that you stack less "increased" damage such as spell damage modifier on weapon, shield, passives, and get high Critical Strike Multiplier, and also always use Topaz Flask when you hit reflect packs. This way your non-crit hits will be small enough that you dont die from reflect, I can vouch because I have never died to reflect since I use Atziri gloves.
- Once you satisfy the above cases you can still die if your damage is too high for single monsters compared to your ES amount.
If you calculate the reflect you take from a single monster too see if you die from it, you should think about cases when:
+ your hit is much higher than your average, because rng rolled a high damage hit
+ the monster you hit has reduced elemtal resistance because of curse, or EE
+ the monster you hit has shock stack
+ you have shock stack
+ you dont have maximum ES before the hit

Pros:
- Very high clear speed
- Tanky (high ES and high amount of instant leech)
- Counters Reflect
- Share infinite amount of charges with party members using conduit
- Can play as MF character - no need for Culling Strike
- EXPLOSIONS!!!

Cons:
- Good CI gear and the gloves are expensive
- Not recommended for beginners (cost and build switching from leveling build)
- Almost melee range - have to run close to monsters for full effectiveness

Leveling tips and Budget version

- First of all, I do not recommend this build as a first character because you need a certain amount of currency to make it good and viable.

- From the start you can level the character as any crit spellcaster at least until level50, I can recommend Flameblast, Ice Spear, Freezing Pulse or Arc.
- You have to be life based until the point when you respec into CI if you want at least a decent level of survivability.

Low-medium level Life based powerlevel Discharger

- Disclaimer: At low level you dont have instant leech, so you are not protected against reflect, this is mainly for softcore leagues!
- As requested I made a lowlevel version of the build, you can start using Discharge with an at least 4L Voll's protector (and even Voll ammy if you have one) and critchance gear around level 50 (or lower if you want to expriment).
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMA37DfioIQ6QKPpv6zRKtXK1WuvYIsnG0ZBUII9EGWwFSus9D1akO86kyzLR9QMJeVBAeVINteUlPr5IPbHwLB8z1fXypVxjbFoqPYJH_GpwjBxRGW2t2druwYDkgabI_6Y0Nd8hZv5CLw1ev1cNUkqilPjmRJUWSdidM26YV97DiCm_em8h1wUuNqGji2-ioLp4Tz6pBV
- On gear get as much critchance as you can, some spell/ele damage, life, resist, and defense (AR/EV).
- This tree allows you to sustain mana from regeneration, so you dont need mana leech on discharge, try clarity if you feel so.
- I dont advise using Blood Rage because you can hardly keep up with the Chaos degen, but if you get some source of regen you can try (Blood Dance). Usually just power charges are enough.

- Get and keep all the 18 passive refund points from quests, so you can use them when you switch from Life based leveling tree to the endgame CI tree.
- Switch to this build when you have at least a 5L Voll's protector, at least 4K ES and you are around level 75-80, then you can spec into this tree:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMA34rpAkuuGyXZW20Zl_Qi9BFQUlNsCzW5l5U9Xw2NpytMsxzcUDCus3_G215BlhGWwcURDwVC0PUOSCy_7BismCycY0Nd8oauj_r313DVFdfr9dDQhEiboYnTVmNkncMJRwZca49GcFLyHbmT2-fDbR0UKgtfao5k-tLz6vemZp61SLb6FkCFfSlP7DiCmzrYnjx8uy3SjHYkiz0PxPYn7Rku2WFXDdIhkc6ezacwn8sB5zboWK94DaluKjgGOYBWT31RYA==
- With this tree you will have Vaal Pact, so dont need Atziri Gloves, and also I specced it without Endurance Charges so you dont necessarily need the Voll Amulet.
- Your 5L gems can be: Discharge - Life Leech - Mana Leech - Increased Critical Strikes - Increased Area of Effect (or Increased Critical Damage for the brave).
- If you dont have Voll's amulet you can use a rare amulet with crit chance, %increased ES, some damage (Since you have to go down to pick up Vaal Pact, you better pick up Unwavering Stance too, and dont have to use Eye of Chayula). Run Blood Rage to gain Frenzy Charges (since you wont have Endurance Charges), which will add the effect of Freezing the enemies as defense.
- If you have Voll's amulet grab the Templar and Marauder Endurance Charges on tree. You can try Elemental Proliferation but then dont use Blood Rage, read the reasons below.
- If you cant afford Dream Fragments you can use Dispel frozen and chilled flasks.

Alternatives, Discussion

- The build I showed you above is my currently used build, but there are many variations of the build: A Discharger needs stun immunity for sure, but I think it's better to get it with the passive node instead of the Eye of Chayula Amulet, beacuase you can use instead the Voll's Devotion Amulet for Endurance Charges, which give you significant damage increase, a strong burning after discharging, the safety of additional 24% phyiscal resistance (with 6 charges), they appear continuously and automatically, and most importantly they give you a second chance to discharge or run away from the danger when you fail to deal critical strike.

- You can consider using Blood Rage to add frenzy charges, but then It's not advised to use Elemental Proliferation, beacuse when you crit and kill with Cold Damage the corpses will fall into pieces, and will not proliferate. The frenzy charges will also increase your damage, and cast speed (the tooltip DPS can be tricky because the cast speed, you should be avare that you have lower damage per blast than your calculated DPS)

- You can try sustaining the Mana cost of the skill without Mana leech, but then you will probably need a higher mana pool, and/or 1-2 more mana flasks (fewer QS and Granites), and using mana flasks for supporting just your offense requires much attention in combat, what is easy to loose in dangerous situations, so I dont recommend doing it, especially to unexperienced players. Mana leech is fully automatic, you have enough damage to leech back full mana even from single target, and end game you will most likely have enough damage from gear and passives to easily make space for it.

- You can make a Magic Find character with removing the EP and AOE, or Mana Leech support gems, adding IIR and IIQ gems instead, running Frenzy Charges, replacing boots, gloves and rings with MF items (I do this personally, so I can recommend, but you will most likely lose some survivability, so be aware, and do it on a less important character).

Conclusion

The most important thing I would mention is, that you need to find a balance between Damage and Defense to sustain Reflect and monster damage, and deal enough damage to efficiently run maps, depening on your gear and passives, and once you can do that, you can have a very powerful character.

IGN: Márkusz
My builds: thread/1600072
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
Last edited by Márkusz on Dec 12, 2014, 5:40:50 PM
Reserved comment
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
Reserved comment
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
Very nice build.
Order of the Raven | Guild Leader | IGN:HoneySiphon | GMT -5

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/813491/page/1
Last edited by TristinX on Jul 20, 2014, 8:23:00 PM
Insane build and very nice guy! Respect!
Level 100 Ranger fb_stnemesis
Level 100 Witch fb_HungarianWitch
Level 100 Scion fb_scioonn
In game mostly at CEST 6PM-8PM (not every day), except weekends
Totally awesome build. Just a quick q-- you mentioned that reflect will be one big hit? That's one thing I've never really understood. I thought, as the discharge very rapidly casts out from you, each monster it hits (yet very fast) will be damaged, reflected back to you, and then you heal -- rinse repeat.

But you're saying that all monsters hit from the spell are damaged as they're hit, and THEN it's all reflected back?
Illsonmedia:

When you hit mobs near you by your radius damage and area damage if you hit but not critical your recieve that % you maked per each mob vs your mitigation total value you have: corresponded resistances which are affected by your fire - light - cold inficted ele dmg to target /ts. If you deal critical on one of the mobs or all pack by ur radius / area dmg then you recieve double and triple dmg taken and u will need 80 or more ress towards and also high ES / LIFE. I think im missing something here but the global steps when casting this spell works on this way.
IGNs: eternal_nina, eternal_madira, eternal_reaper, getmyshadow, eternal_ihgheart, eternal_darkess.
"
Illsonmedia wrote:
Totally awesome build. Just a quick q-- you mentioned that reflect will be one big hit? That's one thing I've never really understood. I thought, as the discharge very rapidly casts out from you, each monster it hits (yet very fast) will be damaged, reflected back to you, and then you heal -- rinse repeat.

But you're saying that all monsters hit from the spell are damaged as they're hit, and THEN it's all reflected back?

I mentioned that in the case where you dont have instant leech. If you have instant leech then yes, it damages, reflects, and leeches after each mob
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
Nice gear. Insane es for using volls but that shield prolly helps hit those #s. Minor question more wrt to flasks -- no issues with corrupting blood ? Didnt see a staunching.

Nvm see it on the topaz . Derp

Still curious how u hit such high es with volls I gotta chk ur tree more and compare to mine. Ive got the whole wheel as well as the es/ev ones. Tho not curr running discipline and I know theres avail es nodes if u take ci. Hmmm
Last edited by faustian1 on Jul 23, 2014, 2:34:01 PM
Tree is updated and 1.2.0 Ready!
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info